Blog: This one’s for all you lovers out there
Chris Brook-Carter | 18 January 2005
Now, I know it’s not even the end of January, but it pays to get in early. Stella Artois has today issued hints for ladies on how to woo their fellas this Valentine’s Day.
“Want to know the way to your man’s heart this Valentine's Day?” the company asks. “It’s beer.” Hmm, thought so.
“Beer is to men as roses and chocolates are to women,” the brewer continues. And to help you “romance your Romeo,” Stella goes on to give a recipe for “Mussels for Lovers.” So, as a public service:
2 Tablespoons butter
1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
2 finely minced garlic cloves
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 1/2 pounds mussels, thoroughly cleaned and bearded
1/3 cup Stella Artois
1 cup heavy cream
freshly ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon finely minced parsley
1 Tablespoon finely minced chives
Melt the butter in a pot large enough to hold all the mussels, the instructions begin. Add the shallots, garlic and curry powder and saute for about 3 minutes. Add the mussels and sprinkle with a generous grinding of black pepper.
Pour the beer and the cream over the mussels and cover the pot tightly. Steam the mussels over high heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until they open. Take off the heat. Shake the pot vigorously to toss the mussels with the buttery vegetables. Garnish with the parsley and chives.
Serve at once with "Belgian" frites (fries) or a crusty loaf of bread and of course, plenty of refreshing Stella Artois.
Let us know if it works. Although if your man ends up with wind and smelling of fish, don’t blame us.
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How soft drinks can exploit alcohol's loss
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo job cut figures "likely overstated"
- Diageo investment paying off for Captain Morgan
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends