Blog: This is the Day
Olly Wehring | 23 June 2010
Today, Wednesday 23 June, looks like being the biggest day for our industry around the world in recent times.
Meanwhile, in South Africa, the World Cup has thrown up four vital matches involving the national teams of Australia, the US, Germany and England. Consumption opportunities abound, as football fans look to cheer on their boys, then celebrate or commiserate where appropriate.
Granted, in the US, the timing of the games encourages breakfast beverage manufacturers, but a drink's a drink for the sake of this missive.
Finally, here in the UK, the daddy of the country's music festivals - Glastonbury - opened its gates this morning. Around 175,000 fans are set to attend the four-day outdoor festival – one of the world's largest – in the south-west of the country this weekend. The overwhelming majority of them will have decanted their drinks of choice into plastic bottles and wheel-barrowed them on to the site. The rest will rely on the multitude of bars and cider buses on site for their quaffing needs.
So, allow us here at just-drinks to wish you all a successful day – in years to come, maybe we'll all look back at 23 June 2010 and say: “I was there.”
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research