Blog: "This is about more than beer: it's about our jobs and our nation."
Olly Wehring | 12 June 2008
As we've discussed in detail on just-drinks today (12 June), the approach by InBev to acquire Anheuser-Busch was always going to be about more than just money. While much has been made about the cultural differences between the two brewers, a rather unpleasant nationalist sentiment has reared its head.
Click here, then, to see some of the hyperbole coming out of the US on the matter.
Some of you may remember the storm that erupted when PepsiCo was rumoured to be sniffing round Groupe Danone, with the French government saying that it would protect the company from any overseas takeover bid.
My thoughts now are the same then. National identity is all well and good, but this is business. Trying to drag tradition into the business world can lead to a dangerous set of double standards – 'keeping the foreigners out', in this day and age, is a blatant failure to understand that the world in the 21st century is a smaller place than it previously was.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD results - Preview
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends