Blog: "This is about more than beer: it's about our jobs and our nation."
Olly Wehring | 12 June 2008
As we've discussed in detail on just-drinks today (12 June), the approach by InBev to acquire Anheuser-Busch was always going to be about more than just money. While much has been made about the cultural differences between the two brewers, a rather unpleasant nationalist sentiment has reared its head.
Click here, then, to see some of the hyperbole coming out of the US on the matter.
Some of you may remember the storm that erupted when PepsiCo was rumoured to be sniffing round Groupe Danone, with the French government saying that it would protect the company from any overseas takeover bid.
My thoughts now are the same then. National identity is all well and good, but this is business. Trying to drag tradition into the business world can lead to a dangerous set of double standards – 'keeping the foreigners out', in this day and age, is a blatant failure to understand that the world in the 21st century is a smaller place than it previously was.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Soft drinks is losing the recycling game
- Heineken Q1 2017 by region - results data
- Cognac is back - is Remy Cointreau ready?
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- Pernod Ricard posts solid YTD sales jump - results
- Pernod Ricard YTD fiscal-2017 sales performance
- Cognac needs innovation at bottom end - Pernod
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Flavoured Powder Drinks in 2017: Confronting an Ageing World