Blog: "This is about more than beer: it's about our jobs and our nation."
Olly Wehring | 12 June 2008
As we've discussed in detail on just-drinks today (12 June), the approach by InBev to acquire Anheuser-Busch was always going to be about more than just money. While much has been made about the cultural differences between the two brewers, a rather unpleasant nationalist sentiment has reared its head.
Click here, then, to see some of the hyperbole coming out of the US on the matter.
Some of you may remember the storm that erupted when PepsiCo was rumoured to be sniffing round Groupe Danone, with the French government saying that it would protect the company from any overseas takeover bid.
My thoughts now are the same then. National identity is all well and good, but this is business. Trying to drag tradition into the business world can lead to a dangerous set of double standards – 'keeping the foreigners out', in this day and age, is a blatant failure to understand that the world in the 21st century is a smaller place than it previously was.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The wine category in 2016 - Review of the Year IV
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Diageo lines up 2017 Johnnie Walker expressions
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Drinks industry counters calls to ban alcohol ads
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends