Blog: Think you know the future for rum? Join the club
Andy Morton | 9 May 2014
It was the biggest swing in London since the '60s.
Presented with the motion “The future for rum lies with connoisseurs not clubbers”, the audience at last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers debate looked odds-on to uphold it, after a pre-event poll showed a majority in its favour. An hour, and a second vote, later, though, and the room had turned.
To be fair to Ed Pilkington, Diageo's Western Europe marketing head and whose job it was to support the motion, he was up against it. His adversary on the night, former Bacardi man Chris Searle, only had to open his speech with the words “clubbers are many, connoisseurs are few”, and the debate, for my money, was over.
We were, after all, in the JP Morgan suite at the old Prudential insurance headquarters in the city of London, the financial capital of the world. Most of the 150-strong audience were analysts, brokers or people otherwise engaged in the pursuit of money.
Pilkington's attempt to persuade them that the niche world of collectors and spirits aficionados could support rum's growth appeared lightweight when compared to Searle's description of a huge clubbing consumer base that is getting bigger by the year.
“Clubbers are aspirational, and going global,” Searle said. “And their numbers are compelling for the future of rum.”
For many of us in the audience, it was case closed.
The long-running spat between US and Czech brewers stepped up a notch this week after the Czech president described American beer as “filthy water”....
I've stopped short of covering it as a product launch story on just-drinks, but take a look at this. Released this month in the UK, Snuffle Dog Beer is already available in 25 markets....
SHE Drinks has lined up a new limited-edition flavour for it's WKD RTD range....
PepsiCo received high praise when it announced it was to launch its stevia-based Pepsi extension True exclusively on Amazon in the US....
Diageo has launched a new gin that uses Japanese botanicals with the addition of sake....
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila....
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Can Coca-Cola fuel SABMiller's soft drinks story?
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Diageo confirms Australia abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Smirnoff tops UK shopping list - figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018