Blog: Think you know the future for rum? Join the club
Andy Morton | 9 May 2014
It was the biggest swing in London since the '60s.
Presented with the motion “The future for rum lies with connoisseurs not clubbers”, the audience at last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers debate looked odds-on to uphold it, after a pre-event poll showed a majority in its favour. An hour, and a second vote, later, though, and the room had turned.
To be fair to Ed Pilkington, Diageo's Western Europe marketing head and whose job it was to support the motion, he was up against it. His adversary on the night, former Bacardi man Chris Searle, only had to open his speech with the words “clubbers are many, connoisseurs are few”, and the debate, for my money, was over.
We were, after all, in the JP Morgan suite at the old Prudential insurance headquarters in the city of London, the financial capital of the world. Most of the 150-strong audience were analysts, brokers or people otherwise engaged in the pursuit of money.
Pilkington's attempt to persuade them that the niche world of collectors and spirits aficionados could support rum's growth appeared lightweight when compared to Searle's description of a huge clubbing consumer base that is getting bigger by the year.
“Clubbers are aspirational, and going global,” Searle said. “And their numbers are compelling for the future of rum.”
For many of us in the audience, it was case closed.
Yesterday was long. Very, very long. What started with an alarm in London at 0530 GMT ended with a Bacardi eight-year-old nightcap in Puerto Rico at 0730 GMT the following morning....
This weekend, Bacardi is hosting a three-day music event on the private island of Palomino just off the coast of Puerto Rico....
Warmest thanks to all of you who filled in our annual readers' survey this month. The results are very important for us to learn from and look to improve our service to you....
Diageo has launched a marketing campaign for Turkish aniseed brand Yeni Raki....
Today's news that German spirits firm Mast-Jägermeister has joined UK responsible drinking organisation The Portman Group may raise eyebrows in some quarters....
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Comment - Has Scotch Whisky Jumped the Shark?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- Beam Suntory to roll out "Scotch-infused" Bourbon
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Wine in the United Kingdom
- Spirit Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts