Blog: There go Crazy and Lazy - heads of the Anheuser-Busch empire
Chris Mercer | 5 November 2010
A new book on InBev's US$52bn takeover of Anheuser-Busch paints the Budweiser brewer's family leadership in an interesting light.
According to author Julie Macintosh, August Busch III and IV were known around Anheuser-Busch headquarters as "crazy and lazy" - respectively.
The book details the inner workings of Anheuser-Busch and how it came to pass that one of the best-known American companies fell into InBev's hands in 2008.
One employee reportedly said of the August III and IV father-son relationship: "They didn't communicate much, unless you call communicating on a daily basis getting your ass chewed."
Macintosh's book, Dethroning the King, looks like a lively read.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020