Blog: The World Whiskies Conference preview
Olly Wehring | 15 April 2008
Today sees the start of the third annual World Whiskies Conference. just-drinks will be there in force and is even closing the first day by presenting the findings of its Global Malt Whisky Report.
just-drinks has been the media sponsor for this event since its organisers first mooted the idea almost four years ago. Despite some initial apathy from the industry we have long held that this should be an important date in the spirits industry’s calendar – particularly in a climate that poses so many threats, from the global economy to rising costs, not to mention the anti-alcohol lobby.
I am pleased to say that as an event, this year’s WWC seems to have come of age. Paul Walsh, CEO of Diageo and chairman of the Scotch Whisky Association, will be speaking right before Vijay Mallya, head of UB Spirits – surely that potential clash of world views is worth the admission price alone.
They will be followed, among others, by Tom Flocco, CEO of Beam Brands, and Rear Admiral Dr Peter H Cressy, president and CEO of DISCUS – and that’s just the first day.
This promises to be a fascinating couple of days. The drinks industry always prides itself on being fairly recession proof but the current economic crisis is the biggest test it has faced since the Tiger Economies of Asia crashed at the end of the 1990s. The WWC is the first of the year’s big drinks events here in the UK and gauging the mood of the sector will be an indication of how it is fairing so far.
Keep peeled to these pages for more.
Malt whisky continues to outpace the growth of blended Scotch and its leading brands are putting in stellar performances. But as a new report from just-drinks explains, a closer look reveals a categor...
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report