Blog: The whisky-taster ahead of his time - that's me
Olly Wehring | 8 July 2008
Among my friends, there is one drinks-related story that gets rolled out far too often than I would prefer.
About a year ago, I (somewhat foolishly) thought it might be fun to introduce some friends to the joy of a whisky-tasting, hosted by my good self, based only on the handful of tastings I'd attended, and not on any training of note that I'd been given. I looked quite the Don, swirling and sniffing - my chums were all most impressed.
Straight afterwards, one friend produced another whisky and asked for my opinion. “Oh yes,” I sighed. “This is very good. I'm quite impressed. What is it?”
Punchline – The whisky in question was a supermarket's own brand, bought for cooking purposes.
How they all laughed – at me – again.
Well, revenge is mine.
My heartiest congratulations go to Tesco, whose 12 Year Old Highland Single Malt won the Anglo Overseas Trophy for the best malt whisky up to 15 years old at the International Wine and Spirit Competition awards.
While I forget, exactly which supermarket the whisky that made me a butt came from, I maintain I was ahead of my time. Now, does anyone of you want me to host a tasting?
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends