Blog: The whisky-taster ahead of his time - that's me
Olly Wehring | 8 July 2008
Among my friends, there is one drinks-related story that gets rolled out far too often than I would prefer.
About a year ago, I (somewhat foolishly) thought it might be fun to introduce some friends to the joy of a whisky-tasting, hosted by my good self, based only on the handful of tastings I'd attended, and not on any training of note that I'd been given. I looked quite the Don, swirling and sniffing - my chums were all most impressed.
Straight afterwards, one friend produced another whisky and asked for my opinion. “Oh yes,” I sighed. “This is very good. I'm quite impressed. What is it?”
Punchline – The whisky in question was a supermarket's own brand, bought for cooking purposes.
How they all laughed – at me – again.
Well, revenge is mine.
My heartiest congratulations go to Tesco, whose 12 Year Old Highland Single Malt won the Anglo Overseas Trophy for the best malt whisky up to 15 years old at the International Wine and Spirit Competition awards.
While I forget, exactly which supermarket the whisky that made me a butt came from, I maintain I was ahead of my time. Now, does anyone of you want me to host a tasting?
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Molson Coors names UK & Ireland managing director
- TWE renames Blossom Hill fruit wine range