Blog: The whisky-taster ahead of his time - that's me
Olly Wehring | 8 July 2008
Among my friends, there is one drinks-related story that gets rolled out far too often than I would prefer.
About a year ago, I (somewhat foolishly) thought it might be fun to introduce some friends to the joy of a whisky-tasting, hosted by my good self, based only on the handful of tastings I'd attended, and not on any training of note that I'd been given. I looked quite the Don, swirling and sniffing - my chums were all most impressed.
Straight afterwards, one friend produced another whisky and asked for my opinion. “Oh yes,” I sighed. “This is very good. I'm quite impressed. What is it?”
Punchline – The whisky in question was a supermarket's own brand, bought for cooking purposes.
How they all laughed – at me – again.
Well, revenge is mine.
My heartiest congratulations go to Tesco, whose 12 Year Old Highland Single Malt won the Anglo Overseas Trophy for the best malt whisky up to 15 years old at the International Wine and Spirit Competition awards.
While I forget, exactly which supermarket the whisky that made me a butt came from, I maintain I was ahead of my time. Now, does anyone of you want me to host a tasting?
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Jose Cuervo applies to go public
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends