Blog: The whisky-taster ahead of his time - that's me
Olly Wehring | 8 July 2008
Among my friends, there is one drinks-related story that gets rolled out far too often than I would prefer.
About a year ago, I (somewhat foolishly) thought it might be fun to introduce some friends to the joy of a whisky-tasting, hosted by my good self, based only on the handful of tastings I'd attended, and not on any training of note that I'd been given. I looked quite the Don, swirling and sniffing - my chums were all most impressed.
Straight afterwards, one friend produced another whisky and asked for my opinion. “Oh yes,” I sighed. “This is very good. I'm quite impressed. What is it?”
Punchline – The whisky in question was a supermarket's own brand, bought for cooking purposes.
How they all laughed – at me – again.
Well, revenge is mine.
My heartiest congratulations go to Tesco, whose 12 Year Old Highland Single Malt won the Anglo Overseas Trophy for the best malt whisky up to 15 years old at the International Wine and Spirit Competition awards.
While I forget, exactly which supermarket the whisky that made me a butt came from, I maintain I was ahead of my time. Now, does anyone of you want me to host a tasting?
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends