Blog: The whisky-taster ahead of his time - that's me
Olly Wehring | 8 July 2008
Among my friends, there is one drinks-related story that gets rolled out far too often than I would prefer.
About a year ago, I (somewhat foolishly) thought it might be fun to introduce some friends to the joy of a whisky-tasting, hosted by my good self, based only on the handful of tastings I'd attended, and not on any training of note that I'd been given. I looked quite the Don, swirling and sniffing - my chums were all most impressed.
Straight afterwards, one friend produced another whisky and asked for my opinion. “Oh yes,” I sighed. “This is very good. I'm quite impressed. What is it?”
Punchline – The whisky in question was a supermarket's own brand, bought for cooking purposes.
How they all laughed – at me – again.
Well, revenge is mine.
My heartiest congratulations go to Tesco, whose 12 Year Old Highland Single Malt won the Anglo Overseas Trophy for the best malt whisky up to 15 years old at the International Wine and Spirit Competition awards.
While I forget, exactly which supermarket the whisky that made me a butt came from, I maintain I was ahead of my time. Now, does anyone of you want me to host a tasting?
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020