Blog: The Week That Was
Olly Wehring | 23 May 2006
Well, that’s that – at least for another year. The London International Wine and Spirit Fair drew to a close last week, and we here at just-drinks were both glad and sad to see the back of it. Glad because we’d spent the three days hairing around like bluebottles (my legs still ache three days later), yet sad that the opportunity to meet up with the great and the good of the wine and spirits industries, all under one roof, is over for another 12 months. Keep your eyes peeled for stacks of content from the fair in the coming days and weeks – we have some treats for you, believe me.
Now, I know that for many of you out there, our coverage of the Wine and Spirits Fair might not have been of much relevance. Those in soft drinks, water and beer will be quite happy, I’m sure, that we’ll now stop banging on about the event. It seems, though, that some of you have been busying yourselves in the meantime.
The announcement late last week that Anheuser-Busch bought the iconic US beer brand Rolling Rock from InBev woke us with a start after the rigours of the fair. At US$82m, the acquisition certainly wasn’t cheap, and is of concern to some as well. As one analyst said last week, with Budweiser’s market share likely to shrink in the double digits this year, does A-B need another full-calorie domestic brand in a state of secular decline?
The rising popularity of craft and imported beers suggests to many that the US brewer should be swimming with the tide, and not against it.
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report