Blog: The Week That Was
Olly Wehring | 23 May 2006
Well, that’s that – at least for another year. The London International Wine and Spirit Fair drew to a close last week, and we here at just-drinks were both glad and sad to see the back of it. Glad because we’d spent the three days hairing around like bluebottles (my legs still ache three days later), yet sad that the opportunity to meet up with the great and the good of the wine and spirits industries, all under one roof, is over for another 12 months. Keep your eyes peeled for stacks of content from the fair in the coming days and weeks – we have some treats for you, believe me.
Now, I know that for many of you out there, our coverage of the Wine and Spirits Fair might not have been of much relevance. Those in soft drinks, water and beer will be quite happy, I’m sure, that we’ll now stop banging on about the event. It seems, though, that some of you have been busying yourselves in the meantime.
The announcement late last week that Anheuser-Busch bought the iconic US beer brand Rolling Rock from InBev woke us with a start after the rigours of the fair. At US$82m, the acquisition certainly wasn’t cheap, and is of concern to some as well. As one analyst said last week, with Budweiser’s market share likely to shrink in the double digits this year, does A-B need another full-calorie domestic brand in a state of secular decline?
The rising popularity of craft and imported beers suggests to many that the US brewer should be swimming with the tide, and not against it.
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
Last month, SPI Group unveiled its latest advert for Stolichnaya in the US. Its an amusing little number that caries the instruction: Drink what you want. The “I am man” ad looks to distance Millennia...
Who do you work for? I ask, merely to draw your attention to just-drinks’ company pages....
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa - A new powerhouse
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Diageo silent on United Spirits job losses
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends