Blog: The US drinks market - Anecdotally
Olly Wehring | 22 October 2009
A few weeks ago, I was up on Islay at the official opening of the Kilchoman distillery, the island's first new distillery in over century.
While I was there, I bumped into John Campbell, manager of Beam Global's Laphroaig distillery, who I hadn't seen since I was last up there over a year ago.
John was heading to the US for a few weeks on a bit of a country tour for Laphroaig. Knowing how down to earth folk in John's position are, I asked if he'd let me know his thoughts on the consumer climate in the country.
Here are his thoughts:
"The east coast has felt more of the brunt of recession, but people are beginning to be more positive about growth and are seeing the green shoots of recovery happening.
Central US is in a similar predicament, but people are pushing harder now to make things happen, so more bullish.
I was only in LA on the west coast, so what recession?! Life is always good there.
The on-trade in the US has slowed outside of LA, NY and Chicago, but off-trade is rocketing away and I think people were just beginning to say if I’m still in work, I’m going to spend as there is no point in saving right now.
People are more confident in their employment again as well, and as I said becoming more bullish, just the way we like our special friends in America."
Many thanks, John.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Pernod Ricard YTD fiscal-2017 sales performance
- Cognac needs innovation at bottom end - Pernod
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Flavoured Powder Drinks in 2017: Confronting an Ageing World