Blog: The UK wine consumer - be afraid
Olly Wehring | 6 August 2007
There’s a very interesting feature on the BBC website right now, introducing the UK public to getting more out of the taste of wine.
This might not be of much use to you, Mr and Mrs Wine-Company-Executive, but what should keep you entertained for a few moments are the comments from Joe and Josephine Public at the bottom of the piece. Take a look at some of these reasons for choosing particular wines:
"The bigger the dent in the bottom of the bottle, the better the wine."
“My criteria: 1. must be between GBP5 and GBP10; 2. must have an animal on the label.”
“All my family choose on the shape of the bottle. A nicer shaped bottle is bound to have nice tasting wine inside and a boring, plain bottle something not so nice.”
“I always choose my wine by the alcohol volume.”
It strikes me that the attempts of some wine companies to educate the consumer aren’t quite hitting their mark. It also looks like we’ve all got quite a long way to go on this one.
To see the feature, click here.
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
In yet one more sign that The Coca-Cola Co is losing its lustre, the soft drinks maker has, for the first time, fallen out of the top ten of a 'world's biggest brands' ranking....
What a week for stats! Yesterday, the Beverage Marketing Corporation released figures to show the bottled water market had more than doubled over the past 15 years in the US....
The Euro 2016 football tournament is almost upon us....
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Customisable drinks - The next consumer trend
- Interview - Seedlip founder, Ben Branson
- Carlsberg to close UK distribution arm
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- C&C Group will be a Brexit victim - analyst
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater packaging revamp
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends