Blog: The UK wine consumer - be afraid
Olly Wehring | 6 August 2007
There’s a very interesting feature on the BBC website right now, introducing the UK public to getting more out of the taste of wine.
This might not be of much use to you, Mr and Mrs Wine-Company-Executive, but what should keep you entertained for a few moments are the comments from Joe and Josephine Public at the bottom of the piece. Take a look at some of these reasons for choosing particular wines:
"The bigger the dent in the bottom of the bottle, the better the wine."
“My criteria: 1. must be between GBP5 and GBP10; 2. must have an animal on the label.”
“All my family choose on the shape of the bottle. A nicer shaped bottle is bound to have nice tasting wine inside and a boring, plain bottle something not so nice.”
“I always choose my wine by the alcohol volume.”
It strikes me that the attempts of some wine companies to educate the consumer aren’t quite hitting their mark. It also looks like we’ve all got quite a long way to go on this one.
To see the feature, click here.
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research