Blog: The UK wine consumer - be afraid
Olly Wehring | 6 August 2007
There’s a very interesting feature on the BBC website right now, introducing the UK public to getting more out of the taste of wine.
This might not be of much use to you, Mr and Mrs Wine-Company-Executive, but what should keep you entertained for a few moments are the comments from Joe and Josephine Public at the bottom of the piece. Take a look at some of these reasons for choosing particular wines:
"The bigger the dent in the bottom of the bottle, the better the wine."
“My criteria: 1. must be between GBP5 and GBP10; 2. must have an animal on the label.”
“All my family choose on the shape of the bottle. A nicer shaped bottle is bound to have nice tasting wine inside and a boring, plain bottle something not so nice.”
“I always choose my wine by the alcohol volume.”
It strikes me that the attempts of some wine companies to educate the consumer aren’t quite hitting their mark. It also looks like we’ve all got quite a long way to go on this one.
To see the feature, click here.
Heineken is gearing up for a product launch in Australia this month. But exactly what the product is, the brewer is not saying....
It's Summer in the northern hemisphere and the beer festivals are in full swing. Even the famously secluded North Korea is letting its regulation-cut hair down with the Taedonggang Beer Festival, name...
Drinks companies that use celebrities and influencers to endorse products via social media could be in line for some rule changes....
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Has Diet Coke passed its sell-by date? - Comment
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- This week in wine & spirits on just-drinks
- Spirits volumes slide in Global Travel Retail
- Pernod Ricard wins Ron Matusalem 'Cuba' legal row
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages