Blog: The UK wine consumer - be afraid
Olly Wehring | 6 August 2007
There’s a very interesting feature on the BBC website right now, introducing the UK public to getting more out of the taste of wine.
This might not be of much use to you, Mr and Mrs Wine-Company-Executive, but what should keep you entertained for a few moments are the comments from Joe and Josephine Public at the bottom of the piece. Take a look at some of these reasons for choosing particular wines:
"The bigger the dent in the bottom of the bottle, the better the wine."
“My criteria: 1. must be between GBP5 and GBP10; 2. must have an animal on the label.”
“All my family choose on the shape of the bottle. A nicer shaped bottle is bound to have nice tasting wine inside and a boring, plain bottle something not so nice.”
“I always choose my wine by the alcohol volume.”
It strikes me that the attempts of some wine companies to educate the consumer aren’t quite hitting their mark. It also looks like we’ve all got quite a long way to go on this one.
To see the feature, click here.
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Angostura places CEO on administrative leave
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends