Blog: The UK wine consumer - be afraid
Olly Wehring | 6 August 2007
There’s a very interesting feature on the BBC website right now, introducing the UK public to getting more out of the taste of wine.
This might not be of much use to you, Mr and Mrs Wine-Company-Executive, but what should keep you entertained for a few moments are the comments from Joe and Josephine Public at the bottom of the piece. Take a look at some of these reasons for choosing particular wines:
"The bigger the dent in the bottom of the bottle, the better the wine."
“My criteria: 1. must be between GBP5 and GBP10; 2. must have an animal on the label.”
“All my family choose on the shape of the bottle. A nicer shaped bottle is bound to have nice tasting wine inside and a boring, plain bottle something not so nice.”
“I always choose my wine by the alcohol volume.”
It strikes me that the attempts of some wine companies to educate the consumer aren’t quite hitting their mark. It also looks like we’ve all got quite a long way to go on this one.
To see the feature, click here.
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
- Analysis - Will Diageo call time on wine?
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- Comment - Will the Sweetener Battle turn Sour?
- A-B InBev snaps up Bogotá Beer Co in Colombia
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Bacardi widens Craigellachie footprint to Asia
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets