Blog: The sorry tale of Evans & Tate
Olly Wehring | 29 August 2007
The sorry demise of Evans & Tate last week looked like the final nail in the Australian company's coffin.
While the troubled situation down under for wine makers is well-documented, the long-running saga of E&T's hunt for help has been the most physical sign of just how tough things are in the country.
Having made the move into voluntary receivership last week, quite what the future holds for E&T is difficult to predict. The receivers themselves are quite confident they can find a buyer, with a spokesperson for McGrath Nichol telling just-drinks that the company will "internationally advertise both in Australia and off-shore, including the west coast of America".
One bright ray of sunshine for E&T came at the end of last week, when McWilliam's Wines confirmed that they will be handling distribution of E&T's branded wines in Australia. Also, with Pendulum Capital, who was part of a consortium whose rescue package for E&T failed last week, saying it is still interested in buying the firm, the future for E&T may still not be as bleak for the company as initially feared.
Quite how the future looks for some of the Australian wine grape growers, who are owed hundreds of thousands of dollars by E&T may be more of a worry, however...
We certainly hope not.
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
A very early start today, with Carla Errazuriz from Concha y Toro's fine wine division picking me up from our Santiago hotel at 0700....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Will the Selfie Prove the Tonic for Beauty Drinks?
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review