Blog: The S&N rumour mill spins a little faster
Olly Wehring | 2 July 2007
The rumbling speculation surrounding Scottish & Newcastle and Carlsberg got a little louder last week. Although sceptics amongst you would be justified in pointing out that there is little there that we haven’t all heard before, the feeling here in just-drinks Towers is that there is more meat to the rumours this time round.
Of course, responding to reports that a “major deal is likely”, a spokesperson for Carlsberg remained staunchly tight-lipped when contacted by just-drinks. S&N’s “business as usual” quote, meanwhile, has been used so many times, the needle feels like it’s stuck on the record.
And yet, those in the know still believe that something is in the water here. In a research note, investment bank Dresdner Kleinwort suggested the likelihood of an acquisition of S&N by Carlsberg is at 70%. The key piece in the jigsaw is the Baltic Beverage Holding joint venture between the two brewers. The bank highlighted the delicate nature of the ‘Russian roulette’ clause in the companies’ BBH agreement and why this may be the trigger for a full takeover bid.
“The only way for Carlsberg to be certain of keeping its 50% stake in BBH is to own 100%,” Dresdner Kleinwort said. “The only way to get 100% is to buy S&N.”
Sounds like S&N may have to prepare volume two of ‘The Best of Business as Usual’.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research