Blog: The Skyy's the limit - London isn't
Olly Wehring | 31 October 2006
Skyy has become the latest brand to launch a line of flavoured vodkas here in the UK. The premium vodka market is notoriously competitive, with a new brand aiming to meet demand for top-end vodkas seemingly launched every month.
Just-drinks attended the launch of the flavoured Skyy range in London last night, sceptical that the brand can succeed in a segment where Finlandia and especially Absolut is dominant.
However, during the course of the evening, our doubts were allayed first of all by the striking taste of Skyy’s flavours but also because of the plans for the brand throughout the UK.
Let’s face it, London’s backbars are overflowing with a whole range of self-proclaimed “super-premium” spirits, let alone vodka.
Brand owners should cast their eyes around the UK and witness the rise of exclusive bars in cities like Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and Glasgow and Edinburgh further afield.
On a per capita basis, Scotland has the highest level of vodka consumption in the UK. Skyy, which is distributed by the Stirling-based Fior Brands, seems to be in the best position to capitalise on that trend - and the burgeoning bar scene in Scottish cities.
Too many owners of premium vodkas seem blinded by the lights and think they must conquer the London bar scene to be a hit in the UK. They couldn’t be more wrong.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research