Blog: The Skyy's the limit - London isn't
Olly Wehring | 31 October 2006
Skyy has become the latest brand to launch a line of flavoured vodkas here in the UK. The premium vodka market is notoriously competitive, with a new brand aiming to meet demand for top-end vodkas seemingly launched every month.
Just-drinks attended the launch of the flavoured Skyy range in London last night, sceptical that the brand can succeed in a segment where Finlandia and especially Absolut is dominant.
However, during the course of the evening, our doubts were allayed first of all by the striking taste of Skyy’s flavours but also because of the plans for the brand throughout the UK.
Let’s face it, London’s backbars are overflowing with a whole range of self-proclaimed “super-premium” spirits, let alone vodka.
Brand owners should cast their eyes around the UK and witness the rise of exclusive bars in cities like Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and Glasgow and Edinburgh further afield.
On a per capita basis, Scotland has the highest level of vodka consumption in the UK. Skyy, which is distributed by the Stirling-based Fior Brands, seems to be in the best position to capitalise on that trend - and the burgeoning bar scene in Scottish cities.
Too many owners of premium vodkas seem blinded by the lights and think they must conquer the London bar scene to be a hit in the UK. They couldn’t be more wrong.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research