Blog: The Skyy's the limit - London isn't
Olly Wehring | 31 October 2006
Skyy has become the latest brand to launch a line of flavoured vodkas here in the UK. The premium vodka market is notoriously competitive, with a new brand aiming to meet demand for top-end vodkas seemingly launched every month.
Just-drinks attended the launch of the flavoured Skyy range in London last night, sceptical that the brand can succeed in a segment where Finlandia and especially Absolut is dominant.
However, during the course of the evening, our doubts were allayed first of all by the striking taste of Skyy’s flavours but also because of the plans for the brand throughout the UK.
Let’s face it, London’s backbars are overflowing with a whole range of self-proclaimed “super-premium” spirits, let alone vodka.
Brand owners should cast their eyes around the UK and witness the rise of exclusive bars in cities like Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and Glasgow and Edinburgh further afield.
On a per capita basis, Scotland has the highest level of vodka consumption in the UK. Skyy, which is distributed by the Stirling-based Fior Brands, seems to be in the best position to capitalise on that trend - and the burgeoning bar scene in Scottish cities.
Too many owners of premium vodkas seem blinded by the lights and think they must conquer the London bar scene to be a hit in the UK. They couldn’t be more wrong.
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
A bit of football fun for a Friday. Anheuser-Busch InBev has released the ad that will accompany its new Budweiser 'Dream Goal' campaign, that seeks to find the UK's best amateur goal. ...
No sooner had Anheuser-Busch InBev taken a gentle pop at the craft beer segment during February's Super Bowl, than the world's largest brewer has challenged the sub-category's target market in New Yor...
A few wry grins will have been raised in the offices of Dr Pepper Snapple Group today. ...
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Scotch Whisky Top 20 Export Markets 2014
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Heineken to cut jobs in global shake-up
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Moet Hennessy sells Scotch Malt Whisky Society
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly