Blog: The Russian invasion – first stop: Scotland
Chris Brook-Carter | 4 April 2005
The recent use of Russia’s natural resources to propel a formerly mediocre football club to the top of the English Premier league is well-documented. Now those funds could be venturing into Scotch territory.
The Moscow Whisky Club, launched with the help of Scottish ex-pats in Moscow, is to visit Islay in Scotland next month, with a view to snapping up a whisky distillery.
Alan Thompson, deputy chieftain of the St Andrew Society in Moscow, confirmed approaches by Russians interested in a distillery, but declined to name them.
“Some Russians have got so much money they fling it at anything, perhaps even for a laugh,” he said. “Questions have been asked about distilleries in Scotland, and they have been provided with a concrete understanding of the product and pushed towards the right channels.”
Prepare yourself, Scotland. It looks like the Russians really are coming.
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends