Blog: The Russian invasion – first stop: Scotland
Chris Brook-Carter | 4 April 2005
The recent use of Russia’s natural resources to propel a formerly mediocre football club to the top of the English Premier league is well-documented. Now those funds could be venturing into Scotch territory.
The Moscow Whisky Club, launched with the help of Scottish ex-pats in Moscow, is to visit Islay in Scotland next month, with a view to snapping up a whisky distillery.
Alan Thompson, deputy chieftain of the St Andrew Society in Moscow, confirmed approaches by Russians interested in a distillery, but declined to name them.
“Some Russians have got so much money they fling it at anything, perhaps even for a laugh,” he said. “Questions have been asked about distilleries in Scotland, and they have been provided with a concrete understanding of the product and pushed towards the right channels.”
Prepare yourself, Scotland. It looks like the Russians really are coming.
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- US hits AB InBev with US$6bn fine over India sales
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends