Blog: The Russian invasion – first stop: Scotland
Chris Brook-Carter | 4 April 2005
The recent use of Russia’s natural resources to propel a formerly mediocre football club to the top of the English Premier league is well-documented. Now those funds could be venturing into Scotch territory.
The Moscow Whisky Club, launched with the help of Scottish ex-pats in Moscow, is to visit Islay in Scotland next month, with a view to snapping up a whisky distillery.
Alan Thompson, deputy chieftain of the St Andrew Society in Moscow, confirmed approaches by Russians interested in a distillery, but declined to name them.
“Some Russians have got so much money they fling it at anything, perhaps even for a laugh,” he said. “Questions have been asked about distilleries in Scotland, and they have been provided with a concrete understanding of the product and pushed towards the right channels.”
Prepare yourself, Scotland. It looks like the Russians really are coming.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits