Blog: The Russian invasion – first stop: Scotland
Chris Brook-Carter | 4 April 2005
The recent use of Russia’s natural resources to propel a formerly mediocre football club to the top of the English Premier league is well-documented. Now those funds could be venturing into Scotch territory.
The Moscow Whisky Club, launched with the help of Scottish ex-pats in Moscow, is to visit Islay in Scotland next month, with a view to snapping up a whisky distillery.
Alan Thompson, deputy chieftain of the St Andrew Society in Moscow, confirmed approaches by Russians interested in a distillery, but declined to name them.
“Some Russians have got so much money they fling it at anything, perhaps even for a laugh,” he said. “Questions have been asked about distilleries in Scotland, and they have been provided with a concrete understanding of the product and pushed towards the right channels.”
Prepare yourself, Scotland. It looks like the Russians really are coming.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Coca-Cola Amatil FY 2016 - results data
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Heineken hit by Greek compensation claim
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends