Blog: The pint - putting the 'Great' into Great Britain, etc, etc
Olly Wehring | 11 September 2007
Brace yourselves, people. The tub-thumping here in the UK is about to get deafening.
The European Commission has today (11 September) granted us Brits the right to keep using our age-old, slightly quirky, popular-with-Americans units of measurements. That’s right, the mile, the pound and ounce and, most importantly, the “Great British pint” (© any UK tabloid you care to pick up today) are all here to stay.
The Eurocrats in Brussels have been defeated – the yeoman is victorious. Britain remains Great.
Even the Europeans are trying to get in on the fervour, though. “There is no good reason why these imperial measures should not continue to be used and we've decided to enshrine this fact in EU law,” said Günter Verheugen, EU Commission vice president responsible for enterprise and industry. “We can all drink to that!"
Obviously, this is a victory for common sense – the sheer cost involved in bringing the UK into line with Europe in this field would have been utterly ridiculous.
So, this evening, we will toast our European cousins for seeing the light, with a frothy, tepid PINT of ale. Cheers, prost, santé, salute, salud and all the rest to you all.
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- The European beer market - Focus
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Pernod Ricard offloads Domecq brandies, wines
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Remy snaps up Seattle's Westland Distillery