Blog: The pint - putting the 'Great' into Great Britain, etc, etc
Olly Wehring | 11 September 2007
Brace yourselves, people. The tub-thumping here in the UK is about to get deafening.
The European Commission has today (11 September) granted us Brits the right to keep using our age-old, slightly quirky, popular-with-Americans units of measurements. That’s right, the mile, the pound and ounce and, most importantly, the “Great British pint” (© any UK tabloid you care to pick up today) are all here to stay.
The Eurocrats in Brussels have been defeated – the yeoman is victorious. Britain remains Great.
Even the Europeans are trying to get in on the fervour, though. “There is no good reason why these imperial measures should not continue to be used and we've decided to enshrine this fact in EU law,” said Günter Verheugen, EU Commission vice president responsible for enterprise and industry. “We can all drink to that!"
Obviously, this is a victory for common sense – the sheer cost involved in bringing the UK into line with Europe in this field would have been utterly ridiculous.
So, this evening, we will toast our European cousins for seeing the light, with a frothy, tepid PINT of ale. Cheers, prost, santé, salute, salud and all the rest to you all.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends