Blog: The new-look wine bottle?
Chris Mercer | 7 January 2011
The ‘Martín Berasategui System’ wine bottle
A Spanish chef and a Spanish packaging company have combined to launch a new-look wine bottle that is designed to prevent sediment from seeping into your wine glass. The problem is, it looks ugly.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and in this case the beholders are Basque chef Martín Berasategui and Girona-based Estalpackaging. Berasategui's self-invented, new wine bottle has just come to the market after winning an award for innovation at a trade exhibition in Paris in December.
You can see it for yourself, pictured above. The design of the ‘Martín Berasategui System’ bottle is based on the idea of a ‘false bottom’, which cleverly creates a vacuum effect that, the Michelin-starred chef claims, stops wine sediment and unfiltered impurities from reaching the glass.
I can't deny that this shows ingenuity, but I think we're a little way off declaring the wine decanter obsolete. My main problem with this idea is that, in situations where decanters are used, wine drinking is often about elegance and, to use a well-worn industry phrase, the 'theatre of dispense'. This bottle, to me, looks to have very little in common with elegance.
Estalpackaging says that the bottle is "especially targeted at those wines subject to ageing", which only compounds the difficulty with it, in my view. Don't go chucking out the decanters just yet.
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Coke Life - Coca-Cola's niche soda - Comment
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- US hits AB InBev with US$6bn fine over India sales
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends