Blog: The new-look wine bottle?
Chris Mercer | 7 January 2011
The ‘Martín Berasategui System’ wine bottle
A Spanish chef and a Spanish packaging company have combined to launch a new-look wine bottle that is designed to prevent sediment from seeping into your wine glass. The problem is, it looks ugly.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and in this case the beholders are Basque chef Martín Berasategui and Girona-based Estalpackaging. Berasategui's self-invented, new wine bottle has just come to the market after winning an award for innovation at a trade exhibition in Paris in December.
You can see it for yourself, pictured above. The design of the ‘Martín Berasategui System’ bottle is based on the idea of a ‘false bottom’, which cleverly creates a vacuum effect that, the Michelin-starred chef claims, stops wine sediment and unfiltered impurities from reaching the glass.
I can't deny that this shows ingenuity, but I think we're a little way off declaring the wine decanter obsolete. My main problem with this idea is that, in situations where decanters are used, wine drinking is often about elegance and, to use a well-worn industry phrase, the 'theatre of dispense'. This bottle, to me, looks to have very little in common with elegance.
Estalpackaging says that the bottle is "especially targeted at those wines subject to ageing", which only compounds the difficulty with it, in my view. Don't go chucking out the decanters just yet.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- Heineken adds to UK on-trade footprint
- Brewers of Europe recruits communications director
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research