Blog: The new-look wine bottle?
Chris Mercer | 7 January 2011
The ‘Martín Berasategui System’ wine bottle
A Spanish chef and a Spanish packaging company have combined to launch a new-look wine bottle that is designed to prevent sediment from seeping into your wine glass. The problem is, it looks ugly.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and in this case the beholders are Basque chef Martín Berasategui and Girona-based Estalpackaging. Berasategui's self-invented, new wine bottle has just come to the market after winning an award for innovation at a trade exhibition in Paris in December.
You can see it for yourself, pictured above. The design of the ‘Martín Berasategui System’ bottle is based on the idea of a ‘false bottom’, which cleverly creates a vacuum effect that, the Michelin-starred chef claims, stops wine sediment and unfiltered impurities from reaching the glass.
I can't deny that this shows ingenuity, but I think we're a little way off declaring the wine decanter obsolete. My main problem with this idea is that, in situations where decanters are used, wine drinking is often about elegance and, to use a well-worn industry phrase, the 'theatre of dispense'. This bottle, to me, looks to have very little in common with elegance.
Estalpackaging says that the bottle is "especially targeted at those wines subject to ageing", which only compounds the difficulty with it, in my view. Don't go chucking out the decanters just yet.
Forget gluten-free. Fodmaps are the latest food trend, and if you work in the soft drinks industry it is important to know where you stand with them....
Companies are very protective of their brand image. So it is refreshing to hear Diageo's Garbhan O’Bric, the global brand director for Baileys, speak the unvarnished truth when talking about the lique...
Alcohol companies love a good movie tie-in. A brush with Hollywood glamour seems to give marketers the warm and fuzzies, judging by the number of deals done over the past few years. The new James Bond...
just-drinks is in Cannes this week at the Tax Free World Association show. Here's the second part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of the most important dates in the Trave...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts