Blog: The new-look wine bottle?
Chris Mercer | 7 January 2011
The ‘Martín Berasategui System’ wine bottle
A Spanish chef and a Spanish packaging company have combined to launch a new-look wine bottle that is designed to prevent sediment from seeping into your wine glass. The problem is, it looks ugly.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and in this case the beholders are Basque chef Martín Berasategui and Girona-based Estalpackaging. Berasategui's self-invented, new wine bottle has just come to the market after winning an award for innovation at a trade exhibition in Paris in December.
You can see it for yourself, pictured above. The design of the ‘Martín Berasategui System’ bottle is based on the idea of a ‘false bottom’, which cleverly creates a vacuum effect that, the Michelin-starred chef claims, stops wine sediment and unfiltered impurities from reaching the glass.
I can't deny that this shows ingenuity, but I think we're a little way off declaring the wine decanter obsolete. My main problem with this idea is that, in situations where decanters are used, wine drinking is often about elegance and, to use a well-worn industry phrase, the 'theatre of dispense'. This bottle, to me, looks to have very little in common with elegance.
Estalpackaging says that the bottle is "especially targeted at those wines subject to ageing", which only compounds the difficulty with it, in my view. Don't go chucking out the decanters just yet.
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
In yet one more sign that The Coca-Cola Co is losing its lustre, the soft drinks maker has, for the first time, fallen out of the top ten of a 'world's biggest brands' ranking....
What a week for stats! Yesterday, the Beverage Marketing Corporation released figures to show the bottled water market had more than doubled over the past 15 years in the US....
The Euro 2016 football tournament is almost upon us....
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- Can fruit cider survive UK slowdown? - Focus
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part II
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Ex-William Grant CEO Stella David re-joins Bacardi
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- UK spirits producers braced for Brexit impact
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends