Blog: The new-look wine bottle?
Chris Mercer | 7 January 2011
The ‘Martín Berasategui System’ wine bottle
A Spanish chef and a Spanish packaging company have combined to launch a new-look wine bottle that is designed to prevent sediment from seeping into your wine glass. The problem is, it looks ugly.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and in this case the beholders are Basque chef Martín Berasategui and Girona-based Estalpackaging. Berasategui's self-invented, new wine bottle has just come to the market after winning an award for innovation at a trade exhibition in Paris in December.
You can see it for yourself, pictured above. The design of the ‘Martín Berasategui System’ bottle is based on the idea of a ‘false bottom’, which cleverly creates a vacuum effect that, the Michelin-starred chef claims, stops wine sediment and unfiltered impurities from reaching the glass.
I can't deny that this shows ingenuity, but I think we're a little way off declaring the wine decanter obsolete. My main problem with this idea is that, in situations where decanters are used, wine drinking is often about elegance and, to use a well-worn industry phrase, the 'theatre of dispense'. This bottle, to me, looks to have very little in common with elegance.
Estalpackaging says that the bottle is "especially targeted at those wines subject to ageing", which only compounds the difficulty with it, in my view. Don't go chucking out the decanters just yet.
It's yet another sign that the legal marijuana business is moving closer to the alcohol industry in the US....
Collecting wine is big business – and so is faking it. So, how do you tell your Chateau Lafite from your Chateau La Counterfeit?...
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
- Comment - Scotch's Battle with Age
- Focus - The Risks of Acquisitions
- Brown-Forman's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Interview - Illva Saronno CEO Augusto Reina
- Pernod Ricard to up focus on consumers - CEO
- Diageo to close Maryland bottling site
- A-B InBev GSA head in drink-driving crash
- Diageo creates USL unit to oversee own brands
- Pernod Ricard on US starting blocks with Havanista
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer