Blog: The malaise of French youth
Chris Mercer | 24 May 2010
The prospect of 10,000 drunk teenagers crowded together in one space without supervision is the stuff of nightmares for officialdom and it is causing French authorities serious headaches.
Aperos Geants - the literal translation is 'giant aperitifs' - is a big trend in France at the moment.
It is a simple formula: giant parties are organised via social networks, generally Facebook, and then everyone turns up with booze - lots of booze. Different cities are locked in competition to gather the most people.
The death of one young man at one of the parties in Nantes recently has made Aperos Geants headline news.
France's minister for youth and active solidarity, Marc-Philippe Daubresse, has spoken of "the malaise of our young people, who feel the need to gather in tribes and party".
Reactionaries want a ban. Intellectuals have talked about a revolt of the internet youth, for too long stuck in their bedrooms.
More likely, a lot of people are turning up with their friends 'just for something to do'.
Those in authority with more sense are trying to manage the situation rather than stop it. If Aperos Geants is a long-term trend, what opportunities might there be for private enterprise willing to bring a degree of control to the anarchy?
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Coca-Cola Amatil FY 2016 - results data
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Heineken hit by Greek compensation claim
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends