Blog: The light fantastic?
Chris Brook-Carter | 20 August 2003
The move comes two years after owners Anheuser-Busch pulled Bud Light from the UK market after disappointing sales. Earlier this year Coors was forced to pull its Light beer from UK shelves also.
Although these kinds of beers have been a huge success in the US, past experience proves the difficulties brewers face in launching a low-calorie beer in the UK. Will Michelob be able to succeed where others have so clearly failed?
It seems unlikely that British drinking culture will have changed in so little time. Having said that, the US brewers clearly believe there is potential there - Coors is planning to relaunch Coors Light. The growth in popularity of the controversial, low-carbohydrate Atkins diet in the UK suggests there is an audience for low-carb beverages out there.
Unfortunately the core UK lager drinker is not often your archetypal calorie counting dieter as well. There will need to be a serious shift in attitude among UK consumers if this is to be a success.
The serious issue aside, it was interesting to see the marketing campaign for Ultra will not be adopting the US's "Drop the Carbs" slogan because research found that British consumers saw "carbs" as "crabs" - an unfortunate word association.
This week, Diageo held a UK semi-final for its global World Class cocktail competition. ...
The rules have changed. The goal posts have... gone? ...
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Is single malt the Great White Hope for Scotch?
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- US wholesalers point to Absolut decline - report
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US