Blog: The Kid is all right
Olly Wehring | 12 January 2006
A now-legendary quote in soccer circles here in the UK, came when a pundit insisted: “You don’t win anything with kids.” Suffice to say, the young team he dismissed went on to take silverware left, right and centre in the following months. So, maybe we should give youngsters a little more credit, perhaps? That’s what they’re doing in the US, it seems.
A fifth-grade student in Missouri has suggested a potential solution for the terminal problem of drink-driving, and one senator is so impressed with the idea that he has proposed it as a law change for the whole state.
Sen. Bill Alter has proposed that grocery and convenience stores would risk losing their liquor licenses if they sold beer at a temperature colder than 60 degrees. “The only reason why beer would need to be cold is so that it can be consumed right away,” he said last week.
The student came up with the idea when participating in a programme to teach elementary students about state government.
“You never know what’s on the mind of young kids - some of them are pretty smart,” Alter said.
Warm cans of beer as a cure to drink-driving? I’d just plump for an RTD, then. You’d even spill less.
Here's a round-up of the big stories on just-drinks last week, featuring AG Barr, Bombay Sapphire, Wines of South Africa and Pabst Brewing Co....
It seems there's not much in the world that can make people smile these days. Luckily, we're part of an industry that has just been scientifically proven to do just that. ...
Despite accounting for just a small percentage of overall sales, craft beer is making an impression on the US....
Here's a round-up of the big stories on just-drinks last week, featuring SABMiller, Orangina Schweppes, PepsiCo and Scottish devolution....
- No Home Comfort for TWE as Bids Collapse
- Treasury Wine Estates: Here I Go Again On My Own
- Bacardi Seeks Own History at Bombay Sapphire Home
- Will low-alcohol wines wither on the vine?
- Private-equity bids "over" - TWE head
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker hit by Travel Retail slump
- Carlsberg suspends production at Russian brewery
- Treasury Wine Estates pulls plug on takeover talks
- Anheuser-Busch InBev shuts fourth Russian brewery
- Mallya stays chairman at Diageo's United Spirits