Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 13 October 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- PepsiCo led the soft drinks field last week, firstly with the release of its year-to-date results, and then with the news that it is branching out into the co-called 'craft' soft drinks segment. While Caleb's Kola is in its early stages, it is clear that PepsiCo is hoping to add another string to its soft drinks bow going forward. Pledges such as the one to cut sugar content in CSDs in France last week require support from NPD, so PepsiCo's hopes will be high for Caleb's.
- just-drinks and The IWSR published their latest report on the Scotch whisky category last week. Full details can be found here and, for a free summary of the report, click here. Meanwhile, the integration of Suntory's spirits operations under the aegis of Beam Suntory saw the head of Morrison Bowmore quit the division earlier this month. The departure of Mike Keiller was followed by news of further such moves last week.
- Speaking of resignations, Accolade Wines is now on the search for a new MD of its North American business. And, in the US, wine producers should take a long, hard look at their pricing strategy going forward, according to Rabobank.
- SABMiller seemed quite riled last week: While the brewer was keen to highlight its marketing approach, particularly to female consumers, observers were keener to discuss Heineken's rejection of the company's overtures last month. To me, SABMiller's annoyance with Heineken is totally understandable: Is nothing sacred anymore?
Paul Walsh just can't stay away from the drinks industry....
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
- Ten questions for Diageo - Analysis
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- How craft beer has shattered its US shackles
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- New CEO sparks optimism at Coca-Cola - Analysis
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- BrewDog moves into spirits with LoneWolf launch
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Johnnie Walker Bourbon Cask & Rye Finish - NPD
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Craft Beer: Coming of Age or Past Its Prime?
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report