Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 13 October 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- PepsiCo led the soft drinks field last week, firstly with the release of its year-to-date results, and then with the news that it is branching out into the co-called 'craft' soft drinks segment. While Caleb's Kola is in its early stages, it is clear that PepsiCo is hoping to add another string to its soft drinks bow going forward. Pledges such as the one to cut sugar content in CSDs in France last week require support from NPD, so PepsiCo's hopes will be high for Caleb's.
- just-drinks and The IWSR published their latest report on the Scotch whisky category last week. Full details can be found here and, for a free summary of the report, click here. Meanwhile, the integration of Suntory's spirits operations under the aegis of Beam Suntory saw the head of Morrison Bowmore quit the division earlier this month. The departure of Mike Keiller was followed by news of further such moves last week.
- Speaking of resignations, Accolade Wines is now on the search for a new MD of its North American business. And, in the US, wine producers should take a long, hard look at their pricing strategy going forward, according to Rabobank.
- SABMiller seemed quite riled last week: While the brewer was keen to highlight its marketing approach, particularly to female consumers, observers were keener to discuss Heineken's rejection of the company's overtures last month. To me, SABMiller's annoyance with Heineken is totally understandable: Is nothing sacred anymore?
In his latest commentary for just-drinks, former drinks analyst Ian Shackleton heads to Brazil to look at 3G's burned fingers, the future worries for Anheuser-Busch InBev and Britvic's samba moves....
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research