Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 13 October 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- PepsiCo led the soft drinks field last week, firstly with the release of its year-to-date results, and then with the news that it is branching out into the co-called 'craft' soft drinks segment. While Caleb's Kola is in its early stages, it is clear that PepsiCo is hoping to add another string to its soft drinks bow going forward. Pledges such as the one to cut sugar content in CSDs in France last week require support from NPD, so PepsiCo's hopes will be high for Caleb's.
- just-drinks and The IWSR published their latest report on the Scotch whisky category last week. Full details can be found here and, for a free summary of the report, click here. Meanwhile, the integration of Suntory's spirits operations under the aegis of Beam Suntory saw the head of Morrison Bowmore quit the division earlier this month. The departure of Mike Keiller was followed by news of further such moves last week.
- Speaking of resignations, Accolade Wines is now on the search for a new MD of its North American business. And, in the US, wine producers should take a long, hard look at their pricing strategy going forward, according to Rabobank.
- SABMiller seemed quite riled last week: While the brewer was keen to highlight its marketing approach, particularly to female consumers, observers were keener to discuss Heineken's rejection of the company's overtures last month. To me, SABMiller's annoyance with Heineken is totally understandable: Is nothing sacred anymore?
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Molson Coors names UK & Ireland managing director
- TWE renames Blossom Hill fruit wine range