Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 13 October 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- PepsiCo led the soft drinks field last week, firstly with the release of its year-to-date results, and then with the news that it is branching out into the co-called 'craft' soft drinks segment. While Caleb's Kola is in its early stages, it is clear that PepsiCo is hoping to add another string to its soft drinks bow going forward. Pledges such as the one to cut sugar content in CSDs in France last week require support from NPD, so PepsiCo's hopes will be high for Caleb's.
- just-drinks and The IWSR published their latest report on the Scotch whisky category last week. Full details can be found here and, for a free summary of the report, click here. Meanwhile, the integration of Suntory's spirits operations under the aegis of Beam Suntory saw the head of Morrison Bowmore quit the division earlier this month. The departure of Mike Keiller was followed by news of further such moves last week.
- Speaking of resignations, Accolade Wines is now on the search for a new MD of its North American business. And, in the US, wine producers should take a long, hard look at their pricing strategy going forward, according to Rabobank.
- SABMiller seemed quite riled last week: While the brewer was keen to highlight its marketing approach, particularly to female consumers, observers were keener to discuss Heineken's rejection of the company's overtures last month. To me, SABMiller's annoyance with Heineken is totally understandable: Is nothing sacred anymore?
In the first part of just-drinks' interview with Bulldog Gin Co's founder & CEO, Anshuman Vohra, we looked at the birth and rise of the brand. In part two, Vohra considers the wider gin segment, Bulld...
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- US craft spirits could be as big as craft beer
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020