Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 6 October 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Five years on from the first signs of a struggling beer market, Russia was the main brewing headline generator last week. First up, market leaderCarlsberg confirmed its intention to suspend production at one of its ten facilities in the country. Within 48 hours, Anheuser-Busch InBev announced the all-out closure of a brewery - its fourth closure in the country in two years. Over in North America, Constellation Brands moved to solve its beer bottle problem with a facility purchase next to its brewery in Mexico. The multi-category player is clearly enjoying its beer adventure, and maintains that the future looks equally bright.
- It was all about the stevia (again) last week, with PepsiCo unveiling its latest entry into the mid-calorie category, with Pepsi True. The company will no doubt be watching Coca-Cola's efforts - or struggles, as one analyst put it last week - with its Coke Life extension with interest. Speaking of Coca-Cola Co, the company looked to calm a row surrounding its executive pay plan.
- The fallout of Treasury Wine Estates' decision on Monday to pull out of acquisition talks continued through the week. While CEO Michael Clarke was keen to draw a line under the negotiations, reporter Andy Morton suggested the decision was not necessarily Treasury's, while I queried what had taken the wine company so long to come to a decision.
- A rare quiet week for the spirits world saw Vijay Mallya secure re-election as United Spirits' chairman, and the owner of Tito's Handmade Vodka come out swinging against those querying the company's 'hand-made' claim.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Analysts have trumpeted Coca-Cola Zero Sugar as well as Coca-Cola European Partners' non-CSD offerings as the group's key growth drivers in 2016....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts