Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 6 October 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Five years on from the first signs of a struggling beer market, Russia was the main brewing headline generator last week. First up, market leaderCarlsberg confirmed its intention to suspend production at one of its ten facilities in the country. Within 48 hours, Anheuser-Busch InBev announced the all-out closure of a brewery - its fourth closure in the country in two years. Over in North America, Constellation Brands moved to solve its beer bottle problem with a facility purchase next to its brewery in Mexico. The multi-category player is clearly enjoying its beer adventure, and maintains that the future looks equally bright.
- It was all about the stevia (again) last week, with PepsiCo unveiling its latest entry into the mid-calorie category, with Pepsi True. The company will no doubt be watching Coca-Cola's efforts - or struggles, as one analyst put it last week - with its Coke Life extension with interest. Speaking of Coca-Cola Co, the company looked to calm a row surrounding its executive pay plan.
- The fallout of Treasury Wine Estates' decision on Monday to pull out of acquisition talks continued through the week. While CEO Michael Clarke was keen to draw a line under the negotiations, reporter Andy Morton suggested the decision was not necessarily Treasury's, while I queried what had taken the wine company so long to come to a decision.
- A rare quiet week for the spirits world saw Vijay Mallya secure re-election as United Spirits' chairman, and the owner of Tito's Handmade Vodka come out swinging against those querying the company's 'hand-made' claim.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Yesterday, Remy Cointreau posted a strong jump in YTD sales driven by impressive Cognac Q3 performances in China and the US. Here, just-drinks takes a closer look at the company's sales performance by...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits