Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 6 October 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Five years on from the first signs of a struggling beer market, Russia was the main brewing headline generator last week. First up, market leaderCarlsberg confirmed its intention to suspend production at one of its ten facilities in the country. Within 48 hours, Anheuser-Busch InBev announced the all-out closure of a brewery - its fourth closure in the country in two years. Over in North America, Constellation Brands moved to solve its beer bottle problem with a facility purchase next to its brewery in Mexico. The multi-category player is clearly enjoying its beer adventure, and maintains that the future looks equally bright.
- It was all about the stevia (again) last week, with PepsiCo unveiling its latest entry into the mid-calorie category, with Pepsi True. The company will no doubt be watching Coca-Cola's efforts - or struggles, as one analyst put it last week - with its Coke Life extension with interest. Speaking of Coca-Cola Co, the company looked to calm a row surrounding its executive pay plan.
- The fallout of Treasury Wine Estates' decision on Monday to pull out of acquisition talks continued through the week. While CEO Michael Clarke was keen to draw a line under the negotiations, reporter Andy Morton suggested the decision was not necessarily Treasury's, while I queried what had taken the wine company so long to come to a decision.
- A rare quiet week for the spirits world saw Vijay Mallya secure re-election as United Spirits' chairman, and the owner of Tito's Handmade Vodka come out swinging against those querying the company's 'hand-made' claim.
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends