Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 6 October 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Five years on from the first signs of a struggling beer market, Russia was the main brewing headline generator last week. First up, market leaderCarlsberg confirmed its intention to suspend production at one of its ten facilities in the country. Within 48 hours, Anheuser-Busch InBev announced the all-out closure of a brewery - its fourth closure in the country in two years. Over in North America, Constellation Brands moved to solve its beer bottle problem with a facility purchase next to its brewery in Mexico. The multi-category player is clearly enjoying its beer adventure, and maintains that the future looks equally bright.
- It was all about the stevia (again) last week, with PepsiCo unveiling its latest entry into the mid-calorie category, with Pepsi True. The company will no doubt be watching Coca-Cola's efforts - or struggles, as one analyst put it last week - with its Coke Life extension with interest. Speaking of Coca-Cola Co, the company looked to calm a row surrounding its executive pay plan.
- The fallout of Treasury Wine Estates' decision on Monday to pull out of acquisition talks continued through the week. While CEO Michael Clarke was keen to draw a line under the negotiations, reporter Andy Morton suggested the decision was not necessarily Treasury's, while I queried what had taken the wine company so long to come to a decision.
- A rare quiet week for the spirits world saw Vijay Mallya secure re-election as United Spirits' chairman, and the owner of Tito's Handmade Vodka come out swinging against those querying the company's 'hand-made' claim.
Diageo's Australian unit has launched an advertising campaign to support the launch of new RTD Bundaberg Rum Lazy Bear. ...
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
It was a bruising first results announcement for management at the newly-formed Coca-Cola European Partners....
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker set for festive push in TR
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends