Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 30 September 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- In soft drinks, AG Barr reported a healthy jump in half-year profits, as well as a European tie-up with Dr Pepper Snapple Group. Meanwhile, our regular soft drinks commentator, Richard Corbett, warned of more of the same for Europe in 2014.
- We were invited to take a look around the new Bombay Sapphire distillery in the UK at the start of the week. Head over here for our take on Laverstoke Mill. We also considered the growing trend among consumers to make their cocktails at home and the opportunities this trend affords our industry.
- Our deputy editor, James Wilmore, sat down with the head of Wines of South Africa earlier this month. The fruits of their time together can be found here. Today's wine news, meanwhile, is dominated by Treasury Wine Estates' latest: The announcement that it has called time on its acquisition negotiations.
- Treasury's gain may be private equity's loss, but the investors appear to have plenty to go on in the craft beer segment. Can the category balance its 'them and us' ideals with the dollar signs? Pabst Brewing Co, meanwhile, has ownership adventures of a different kind, as it sought to calm reports linking it to a Russian company.
just-drinks is thrilled to welcome a new industry commentator to the fold. Until earlier this year, Ian Shackleton spent over 25 years as a beverages analyst with several major banks, including Credit...
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- The European beer market - Focus
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Remy snaps up Seattle's Westland Distillery
- Pernod Ricard offloads Domecq brandies, wines
- Diageo reaches deal in Stitzel legal row