Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 30 September 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- In soft drinks, AG Barr reported a healthy jump in half-year profits, as well as a European tie-up with Dr Pepper Snapple Group. Meanwhile, our regular soft drinks commentator, Richard Corbett, warned of more of the same for Europe in 2014.
- We were invited to take a look around the new Bombay Sapphire distillery in the UK at the start of the week. Head over here for our take on Laverstoke Mill. We also considered the growing trend among consumers to make their cocktails at home and the opportunities this trend affords our industry.
- Our deputy editor, James Wilmore, sat down with the head of Wines of South Africa earlier this month. The fruits of their time together can be found here. Today's wine news, meanwhile, is dominated by Treasury Wine Estates' latest: The announcement that it has called time on its acquisition negotiations.
- Treasury's gain may be private equity's loss, but the investors appear to have plenty to go on in the craft beer segment. Can the category balance its 'them and us' ideals with the dollar signs? Pabst Brewing Co, meanwhile, has ownership adventures of a different kind, as it sought to calm reports linking it to a Russian company.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Heineken Q1 2017 by region - results data
- Remy Cointreau Fiscal-2017 sales - results data
- Soft drinks is losing the recycling game
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- TWE's Beringer Main & Vine Dry Rosé - NPD
- Edrington shifts innovation to US in shake-up
- Pernod Ricard posts solid YTD sales jump - results
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends