Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 30 September 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- In soft drinks, AG Barr reported a healthy jump in half-year profits, as well as a European tie-up with Dr Pepper Snapple Group. Meanwhile, our regular soft drinks commentator, Richard Corbett, warned of more of the same for Europe in 2014.
- We were invited to take a look around the new Bombay Sapphire distillery in the UK at the start of the week. Head over here for our take on Laverstoke Mill. We also considered the growing trend among consumers to make their cocktails at home and the opportunities this trend affords our industry.
- Our deputy editor, James Wilmore, sat down with the head of Wines of South Africa earlier this month. The fruits of their time together can be found here. Today's wine news, meanwhile, is dominated by Treasury Wine Estates' latest: The announcement that it has called time on its acquisition negotiations.
- Treasury's gain may be private equity's loss, but the investors appear to have plenty to go on in the craft beer segment. Can the category balance its 'them and us' ideals with the dollar signs? Pabst Brewing Co, meanwhile, has ownership adventures of a different kind, as it sought to calm reports linking it to a Russian company.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- A Keeper of the Quaich writes - Editor's Viewpoint
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends