Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 30 September 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- In soft drinks, AG Barr reported a healthy jump in half-year profits, as well as a European tie-up with Dr Pepper Snapple Group. Meanwhile, our regular soft drinks commentator, Richard Corbett, warned of more of the same for Europe in 2014.
- We were invited to take a look around the new Bombay Sapphire distillery in the UK at the start of the week. Head over here for our take on Laverstoke Mill. We also considered the growing trend among consumers to make their cocktails at home and the opportunities this trend affords our industry.
- Our deputy editor, James Wilmore, sat down with the head of Wines of South Africa earlier this month. The fruits of their time together can be found here. Today's wine news, meanwhile, is dominated by Treasury Wine Estates' latest: The announcement that it has called time on its acquisition negotiations.
- Treasury's gain may be private equity's loss, but the investors appear to have plenty to go on in the craft beer segment. Can the category balance its 'them and us' ideals with the dollar signs? Pabst Brewing Co, meanwhile, has ownership adventures of a different kind, as it sought to calm reports linking it to a Russian company.
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Jose Cuervo applies to go public
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends