Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 22 September 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- The fall-out from SABMiller's failed approach for Heineken reverberated throughout the week. The rumour-mill went into overdrive after Heineken's announcement early on Monday - an announcement that Heineken was not obliged to release. Attention then turned to Anheuser-Busch InBev and the start of the endgame. Is A-B InBev lining up its 'planes for an SAB flyby?
- In a just-drinks exclusive, we revealed the appointment of the former CMO at William Grant & Sons to the exec team at Orangina Schweppes. Elsewhere in soft drinks, PepsiCo joined the chorus of disapproval in the US following some shocking revelations from the country's National Football League.
- The spirits folk spent the week counting down to Thursday's independence referendum in Scotland and pondering what a 'Yes' vote would mean for Scotch whisky. I was up very early on Monday morning to discuss this on CNBC, while our brown spirits commentator, Ian Buxton, cast a final eye over the matter on 'D-Day'. After all the votes were counted, we ran a live blog throughout Friday listing industry reactions to the maintaining of The Union.
- Finally, here in the UK, the wine industry came under verbal bombardment from Sir John Hegarty at the Wine & Spirit Trade Association's annual conference in London: A bombardment that prompted me to challenge Sir John and his ilk to tell us something we don't already know.
Pernod Ricard has introduced a new Absolut vodka flavour to the US market. ...
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The wine category in 2016 - Review of the Year IV
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Diageo lines up 2017 Johnnie Walker expressions
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Drinks industry counters calls to ban alcohol ads
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends