Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 22 September 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- The fall-out from SABMiller's failed approach for Heineken reverberated throughout the week. The rumour-mill went into overdrive after Heineken's announcement early on Monday - an announcement that Heineken was not obliged to release. Attention then turned to Anheuser-Busch InBev and the start of the endgame. Is A-B InBev lining up its 'planes for an SAB flyby?
- In a just-drinks exclusive, we revealed the appointment of the former CMO at William Grant & Sons to the exec team at Orangina Schweppes. Elsewhere in soft drinks, PepsiCo joined the chorus of disapproval in the US following some shocking revelations from the country's National Football League.
- The spirits folk spent the week counting down to Thursday's independence referendum in Scotland and pondering what a 'Yes' vote would mean for Scotch whisky. I was up very early on Monday morning to discuss this on CNBC, while our brown spirits commentator, Ian Buxton, cast a final eye over the matter on 'D-Day'. After all the votes were counted, we ran a live blog throughout Friday listing industry reactions to the maintaining of The Union.
- Finally, here in the UK, the wine industry came under verbal bombardment from Sir John Hegarty at the Wine & Spirit Trade Association's annual conference in London: A bombardment that prompted me to challenge Sir John and his ilk to tell us something we don't already know.
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
William Grant & Sons has reported rising full-year sales and profits as it continues to move away from distributing third-party brands....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends