Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 15 September 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- We started with a bang in spirits on Monday, as William Grant & Sons announced its acquisition of Drambuie from the MacKinnon family. While the winning suitor was never really in doubt - our brown spirits commentator,Ian Buxton, took a punt back in May - that as progressive a spirits company as William Grant should move for such a dusty brand is still a surprise.
- Here in the UK, the wine folk of Argentina, Chile and South Africa came over for the second annual Wines of the Beautiful South tasting event. One year on from its inaugural appearance, and the event has come on leaps and bounds.
- The global brewing industry was rocked over the weekend by reports linking SABMiller with a takeover of Heineken. While neither side would comment yesterday, Heineken confirmed the claims this morning, Has SABMiller shown its hand in its face-off with Anheuser-Busch InBev? Is the endgame about to start? Take your seats!
- In soft drinks, our regular commentator Ray Rowlands turned his attention to Russia, while The Coca-Cola Co's launch of Coke Life in the UK this month also came under the microscope.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends