Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 15 September 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- We started with a bang in spirits on Monday, as William Grant & Sons announced its acquisition of Drambuie from the MacKinnon family. While the winning suitor was never really in doubt - our brown spirits commentator,Ian Buxton, took a punt back in May - that as progressive a spirits company as William Grant should move for such a dusty brand is still a surprise.
- Here in the UK, the wine folk of Argentina, Chile and South Africa came over for the second annual Wines of the Beautiful South tasting event. One year on from its inaugural appearance, and the event has come on leaps and bounds.
- The global brewing industry was rocked over the weekend by reports linking SABMiller with a takeover of Heineken. While neither side would comment yesterday, Heineken confirmed the claims this morning, Has SABMiller shown its hand in its face-off with Anheuser-Busch InBev? Is the endgame about to start? Take your seats!
- In soft drinks, our regular commentator Ray Rowlands turned his attention to Russia, while The Coca-Cola Co's launch of Coke Life in the UK this month also came under the microscope.
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In achieving its goal to replenish water equivalent to its 2015 sales volumes "back to nature and communities", Coca-Cola gave itself a compelling sustainability story to tell consumers. Greg Koch, se...
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
In the US, carbonated water has become a non-alcoholic beverage star, as consumers choose sparkling waters and seltzers instead of carbonated soft drinks to cut calorie and sugar consumption. The same...
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Coke Life - Coca-Cola's niche soda - Comment
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- US hits AB InBev with US$6bn fine over India sales
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends