Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 15 September 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- We started with a bang in spirits on Monday, as William Grant & Sons announced its acquisition of Drambuie from the MacKinnon family. While the winning suitor was never really in doubt - our brown spirits commentator,Ian Buxton, took a punt back in May - that as progressive a spirits company as William Grant should move for such a dusty brand is still a surprise.
- Here in the UK, the wine folk of Argentina, Chile and South Africa came over for the second annual Wines of the Beautiful South tasting event. One year on from its inaugural appearance, and the event has come on leaps and bounds.
- The global brewing industry was rocked over the weekend by reports linking SABMiller with a takeover of Heineken. While neither side would comment yesterday, Heineken confirmed the claims this morning, Has SABMiller shown its hand in its face-off with Anheuser-Busch InBev? Is the endgame about to start? Take your seats!
- In soft drinks, our regular commentator Ray Rowlands turned his attention to Russia, while The Coca-Cola Co's launch of Coke Life in the UK this month also came under the microscope.
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Treasury Wine Estates has renamed and repackaged its fruit wine range in the UK as it looks to bring the products in line with the Blossom Hill brand. ...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- The European beer market - Focus
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Pernod Ricard offloads Domecq brandies, wines
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Remy snaps up Seattle's Westland Distillery