Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 15 September 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- We started with a bang in spirits on Monday, as William Grant & Sons announced its acquisition of Drambuie from the MacKinnon family. While the winning suitor was never really in doubt - our brown spirits commentator,Ian Buxton, took a punt back in May - that as progressive a spirits company as William Grant should move for such a dusty brand is still a surprise.
- Here in the UK, the wine folk of Argentina, Chile and South Africa came over for the second annual Wines of the Beautiful South tasting event. One year on from its inaugural appearance, and the event has come on leaps and bounds.
- The global brewing industry was rocked over the weekend by reports linking SABMiller with a takeover of Heineken. While neither side would comment yesterday, Heineken confirmed the claims this morning, Has SABMiller shown its hand in its face-off with Anheuser-Busch InBev? Is the endgame about to start? Take your seats!
- In soft drinks, our regular commentator Ray Rowlands turned his attention to Russia, while The Coca-Cola Co's launch of Coke Life in the UK this month also came under the microscope.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends