Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 8 September 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Pernod Ricard hogged the spirits limelight for the second consecutive week, with several of its senior exec team - including CEO Pierre Pringuet - heading to London to discussthe firm's full-year results. While Pringuet took the opportunity to claim that a corner has been turned in China, it also became clear that the company is not set for any sizeable M&A activity in the coming years. Elsewhere in spirits, Ian Buxton looked at Diageo's innovation platorm, Distill Ventures, a year on from its formation.
- In soft drinks, the Coca-Cola Co confirmed the latest move to return to a franchise model in North America by handing over more territory in the US to Coca-Cola Bottling Co Consolidated. Dr Pepper Snapple Group is moving in the opposite direction, it would appear: On Thursday, it announced its intention to buy east coast distributor Davis Beverage Group and bottling arm Davis Bottling Co.
- Staying with buying and selling, Heineken offloaded its Mexican packaging business Empaque last week, a divestment that will boost the brewer’s bottom line to the tune of EUR300m (US$395m). In Africa, meanwhile, SABMiller announced its entry into the spirits category, with the launch of Fyfe’s blended Scotch in Tanzania.
- In wine, Chile’s Santa Rita Estates appointed a new CEO on Tuesday, as C&C Group looked to surf the fruit-flavoured wine wave with the relaunch of Castaway Spritz in the UK.
- Finally, we’re trialling a sector-specific weekly review of the news that matters. For beer, click here and for soft drinks & bottled water, head here. The spirits & wine review can be found here.
In the first part of just-drinks' interview with Bulldog Gin Co's founder & CEO, Anshuman Vohra, we looked at the birth and rise of the brand. In part two, Vohra considers the wider gin segment, Bulld...
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends