Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 8 September 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Pernod Ricard hogged the spirits limelight for the second consecutive week, with several of its senior exec team - including CEO Pierre Pringuet - heading to London to discussthe firm's full-year results. While Pringuet took the opportunity to claim that a corner has been turned in China, it also became clear that the company is not set for any sizeable M&A activity in the coming years. Elsewhere in spirits, Ian Buxton looked at Diageo's innovation platorm, Distill Ventures, a year on from its formation.
- In soft drinks, the Coca-Cola Co confirmed the latest move to return to a franchise model in North America by handing over more territory in the US to Coca-Cola Bottling Co Consolidated. Dr Pepper Snapple Group is moving in the opposite direction, it would appear: On Thursday, it announced its intention to buy east coast distributor Davis Beverage Group and bottling arm Davis Bottling Co.
- Staying with buying and selling, Heineken offloaded its Mexican packaging business Empaque last week, a divestment that will boost the brewer’s bottom line to the tune of EUR300m (US$395m). In Africa, meanwhile, SABMiller announced its entry into the spirits category, with the launch of Fyfe’s blended Scotch in Tanzania.
- In wine, Chile’s Santa Rita Estates appointed a new CEO on Tuesday, as C&C Group looked to surf the fruit-flavoured wine wave with the relaunch of Castaway Spritz in the UK.
- Finally, we’re trialling a sector-specific weekly review of the news that matters. For beer, click here and for soft drinks & bottled water, head here. The spirits & wine review can be found here.
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends