Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 8 September 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Pernod Ricard hogged the spirits limelight for the second consecutive week, with several of its senior exec team - including CEO Pierre Pringuet - heading to London to discussthe firm's full-year results. While Pringuet took the opportunity to claim that a corner has been turned in China, it also became clear that the company is not set for any sizeable M&A activity in the coming years. Elsewhere in spirits, Ian Buxton looked at Diageo's innovation platorm, Distill Ventures, a year on from its formation.
- In soft drinks, the Coca-Cola Co confirmed the latest move to return to a franchise model in North America by handing over more territory in the US to Coca-Cola Bottling Co Consolidated. Dr Pepper Snapple Group is moving in the opposite direction, it would appear: On Thursday, it announced its intention to buy east coast distributor Davis Beverage Group and bottling arm Davis Bottling Co.
- Staying with buying and selling, Heineken offloaded its Mexican packaging business Empaque last week, a divestment that will boost the brewer’s bottom line to the tune of EUR300m (US$395m). In Africa, meanwhile, SABMiller announced its entry into the spirits category, with the launch of Fyfe’s blended Scotch in Tanzania.
- In wine, Chile’s Santa Rita Estates appointed a new CEO on Tuesday, as C&C Group looked to surf the fruit-flavoured wine wave with the relaunch of Castaway Spritz in the UK.
- Finally, we’re trialling a sector-specific weekly review of the news that matters. For beer, click here and for soft drinks & bottled water, head here. The spirits & wine review can be found here.
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends