Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 4 August 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- The clouds gathered for Diageo early in the week, when analyst consensus ahead of the full-year results announcement suggested a tough Thursday for the spirits giant. And, so it was: CEO Ivan Menezes conceded that Diageo had endured a “tougher than expected” fiscal-2014, while one analyst went so far as to describe the performance as a “nadir” for the group. Our full coverage of Diageo’s results can be found here. Elsewhere, in spirits, we bade farewell to one of the category’s stalwarts, Krzysztof Trylinski from France’s Belvedere. After all he’s been through, we wish Trylinski all the peace in the world for his next incarnation, whatever that may be.
- While the world’s biggest spirits company spent the day squirming on Thursday, the world’s biggest brewer spent the day preening: Anheuser-Busch InBev’s figures for the first half of 2014 made for upbeat reading but, strip out the one-offs and the performance looked good, but not quite that good. Head over here for our full coverage of A-B InBev’s numbers. And, in a busy week for the brewers, we consideredwhat the impending departure of Molson Coors’ CEO could mean for ‘Mega-Merger’, while Larry Nelson highlighted the importance of getting the name of your beer brand absolutely right.
- For you wine folk, we have an excellent interview with the owner of New Zealand’s Te Pa Family Vineyards, Haysley MacDonald. Also, after Castel unveiled the first wine from its Ethiopian operations, Ben Cooper looked at what this move suggests for the industry on an environmental basis. Head over here, meanwhile, for a closer look at Rabobank’s latest quarterly look at the drinks industry, which last week shone the spotlight on wine consumers.
- Finally, a grim week for soft drinks saw SodaStream post a poor return in the first half of the year, while Cott Corp saw its profits slip into the red as sales also fell. Maybe I can help?
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
The Coca-Cola Co is in the middle of a major restructuring plan, affecting jobs around the world. The company is also downsizing its packaging....
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages