Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 21 July 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- The Coca-Cola Co’s latest attempt to crack the mid-calorie CSD market came under the just-drinks microscope. Soft drinks commentator Richard Corbett cast his eye over Coke Life as the variant prepares to navigate the mid-calorie carcasses that have come - and gone - before. Elsewhere, is the soft drinks industry becoming the new tobacco... but in a good way?
- Deputy editor James Wilmore met the outspoken head of Australian Vintage, Neil McGuigan, earlier this year: The fruits of their time together can be enjoyed here. Meanwhile, the latest figures out of Australia show a fall in volumes but a rise in value for wine exports in the year to June. Our reporter Andy Morton gives his analysis of the numbers here.
- In spirits, Remy Cointreau’s struggles continue with another set of tough quarterly numbers, while Pernod Ricard’s UK arm bemoaned the Portman Group’s use of a sledgehammer on brand Pernod’s labelling in the country. The Portman Group may have drawn more than its fair share of negative press of late, but any alternative to the responsible drinking body could be far worse for the alcoholic drinks industry in the country.
- Finally, some good news for brewers operating in Russia, where legislation outlawing beer ads around sporting events has been postponed. Meanwhile, is BrewDog looking to spread its colourful tentacles beyond beer?
Knowledge is power, or so they claim. So, with that in mind, here's an infographic, courtesy of Australian company Hangover Revivol, that breaks down exactly what is behind the common hangover....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring William Grant & Sons, the Southern hemisphere's winemakers, SABMiller and Heineken, and Coke Light....
How many beer mugs can one man carry? ...
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Pernod Ricard, The Coca-Cola Co, SABMiller's new Scotch whisky and Santa Rita Estates....
- Scottish Independence and Scotch Whisky
- Whisk(e)y leads vodka in US, but for how long?
- Wine in the UK: Tell Us Something We Don't Know
- Comment - Heineken's 'No' Cuts SABMiller Options
- Irish whiskey eyes a slice of Scotch's global pie
- LIVE BLOG: Industry responds to Scotland 'No' vote
- Diageo ups Johnnie Walker Formula One presence
- William Grant opens Tullamore D.E.W. distillery
- Rabobank warns of "mountainous task" for Scotch
- A-B InBev shakes up Euro units, UK head steps down