Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 21 July 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- The Coca-Cola Co’s latest attempt to crack the mid-calorie CSD market came under the just-drinks microscope. Soft drinks commentator Richard Corbett cast his eye over Coke Life as the variant prepares to navigate the mid-calorie carcasses that have come - and gone - before. Elsewhere, is the soft drinks industry becoming the new tobacco... but in a good way?
- Deputy editor James Wilmore met the outspoken head of Australian Vintage, Neil McGuigan, earlier this year: The fruits of their time together can be enjoyed here. Meanwhile, the latest figures out of Australia show a fall in volumes but a rise in value for wine exports in the year to June. Our reporter Andy Morton gives his analysis of the numbers here.
- In spirits, Remy Cointreau’s struggles continue with another set of tough quarterly numbers, while Pernod Ricard’s UK arm bemoaned the Portman Group’s use of a sledgehammer on brand Pernod’s labelling in the country. The Portman Group may have drawn more than its fair share of negative press of late, but any alternative to the responsible drinking body could be far worse for the alcoholic drinks industry in the country.
- Finally, some good news for brewers operating in Russia, where legislation outlawing beer ads around sporting events has been postponed. Meanwhile, is BrewDog looking to spread its colourful tentacles beyond beer?
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
Last month, SPI Group unveiled its latest advert for Stolichnaya in the US. Its an amusing little number that caries the instruction: Drink what you want. The “I am man” ad looks to distance Millennia...
Who do you work for? I ask, merely to draw your attention to just-drinks’ company pages....
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Diageo's FY performance by region - Focus
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Time to take stock of Constellation's Corona
- The future for drinks industry's waste products
- Diageo sets sights on alcohol-alternative trends
- SABMiller puts brakes on A-B InBev integration
- "We tried to make Bushmills hot" - Diageo CEO
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- Brexit "not a big deal" for Scotch - Diageo CEO
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends