Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 14 July 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- The head of PepsiCo conceded that the US is undergoing a "profound" change in eating and drinking habits, with health & wellness leading the way. Indra Nooyi's comments last week coincided with the first part of our interview with PepsiCo's chief scientific officer. As these trends intensify, Dr Mehmood Khan is set to be a busy man in the coming years.
- Reports broke that San Miguel Corp has received several offers for its majority stake in San Miguel Brewery. While the names of the bidders were not divulged, it doesn't take a genius to work out who the front runner is. Meanwhile, SABMiller is set for a US$1bn windfall as it sells its stake in Tsogo Sun Holdings in South Africa. What's top of the brewer's shopping list?
- Hail continues to cause havoc in the winelands of France, withanother storm, this time in Languedoc, causing around EUR80m-worth of damage. Speaking of havoc, Chris Losh tore into what he considers to be the parlous state of most wine lists last week.
- I was in Poland at the start of the week, visiting the country's vodka market leader. Stock Spirits has made quite a name for itself in Central & Eastern Europe, but can the company clear the hurdles that exist further down the road? Meanwhile, William Grant & Sons was busy last week, contributing funds to the 'No' side of September's Scottish independence referendum and seeing its UK division change its name - a good idea, if you ask me.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Alcohol brands and the 'better-for-you' trend
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD results - Preview
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends