Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 14 July 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- The head of PepsiCo conceded that the US is undergoing a "profound" change in eating and drinking habits, with health & wellness leading the way. Indra Nooyi's comments last week coincided with the first part of our interview with PepsiCo's chief scientific officer. As these trends intensify, Dr Mehmood Khan is set to be a busy man in the coming years.
- Reports broke that San Miguel Corp has received several offers for its majority stake in San Miguel Brewery. While the names of the bidders were not divulged, it doesn't take a genius to work out who the front runner is. Meanwhile, SABMiller is set for a US$1bn windfall as it sells its stake in Tsogo Sun Holdings in South Africa. What's top of the brewer's shopping list?
- Hail continues to cause havoc in the winelands of France, withanother storm, this time in Languedoc, causing around EUR80m-worth of damage. Speaking of havoc, Chris Losh tore into what he considers to be the parlous state of most wine lists last week.
- I was in Poland at the start of the week, visiting the country's vodka market leader. Stock Spirits has made quite a name for itself in Central & Eastern Europe, but can the company clear the hurdles that exist further down the road? Meanwhile, William Grant & Sons was busy last week, contributing funds to the 'No' side of September's Scottish independence referendum and seeing its UK division change its name - a good idea, if you ask me.
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise. ...
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
- Industry is following the pack to patriotic party
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Diageo unveils first European Johnnie Walker House
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Wm Grant redesigns Glenfiddich 21yo Gran Reserva
- Consumers want brands that challenge them - study
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends