Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 14 July 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- The head of PepsiCo conceded that the US is undergoing a "profound" change in eating and drinking habits, with health & wellness leading the way. Indra Nooyi's comments last week coincided with the first part of our interview with PepsiCo's chief scientific officer. As these trends intensify, Dr Mehmood Khan is set to be a busy man in the coming years.
- Reports broke that San Miguel Corp has received several offers for its majority stake in San Miguel Brewery. While the names of the bidders were not divulged, it doesn't take a genius to work out who the front runner is. Meanwhile, SABMiller is set for a US$1bn windfall as it sells its stake in Tsogo Sun Holdings in South Africa. What's top of the brewer's shopping list?
- Hail continues to cause havoc in the winelands of France, withanother storm, this time in Languedoc, causing around EUR80m-worth of damage. Speaking of havoc, Chris Losh tore into what he considers to be the parlous state of most wine lists last week.
- I was in Poland at the start of the week, visiting the country's vodka market leader. Stock Spirits has made quite a name for itself in Central & Eastern Europe, but can the company clear the hurdles that exist further down the road? Meanwhile, William Grant & Sons was busy last week, contributing funds to the 'No' side of September's Scottish independence referendum and seeing its UK division change its name - a good idea, if you ask me.
The book has been closed - for now - on the end of the plc line for Treasury Wine Estates, following yesterday's announcement that it has called time on negotiations with two separate parties on a pos...
Here's a round-up of the big stories on just-drinks last week, featuring AG Barr, Bombay Sapphire, Wines of South Africa and Pabst Brewing Co....
It seems there's not much in the world that can make people smile these days. Luckily, we're part of an industry that has just been scientifically proven to do just that. ...
This month, Ben Cooper considers the need for healthy competition among drinks companies when it comes to driving industry-wide sustainability....
Despite accounting for just a small percentage of overall sales, craft beer is making an impression on the US....
Here's a round-up of the big stories on just-drinks last week, featuring SABMiller, Orangina Schweppes, PepsiCo and Scottish devolution....
- No Home Comfort for TWE as Bids Collapse
- Bacardi Seeks Own History at Bombay Sapphire Home
- NPD: The Craft Cocktail Revolution
- Private-equity bids "over" - TWE head
- just The Preview - Constellation Brands' Q2 & H1
- Suntory Holdings to split beer, spirits division
- Carlsberg suspends production at Russian brewery
- Anheuser-Busch InBev appoints new AmBev CEO
- Treasury Wine Estates pulls plug on takeover talks
- Diageo's Smirnoff Sours