Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 14 July 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- The head of PepsiCo conceded that the US is undergoing a "profound" change in eating and drinking habits, with health & wellness leading the way. Indra Nooyi's comments last week coincided with the first part of our interview with PepsiCo's chief scientific officer. As these trends intensify, Dr Mehmood Khan is set to be a busy man in the coming years.
- Reports broke that San Miguel Corp has received several offers for its majority stake in San Miguel Brewery. While the names of the bidders were not divulged, it doesn't take a genius to work out who the front runner is. Meanwhile, SABMiller is set for a US$1bn windfall as it sells its stake in Tsogo Sun Holdings in South Africa. What's top of the brewer's shopping list?
- Hail continues to cause havoc in the winelands of France, withanother storm, this time in Languedoc, causing around EUR80m-worth of damage. Speaking of havoc, Chris Losh tore into what he considers to be the parlous state of most wine lists last week.
- I was in Poland at the start of the week, visiting the country's vodka market leader. Stock Spirits has made quite a name for itself in Central & Eastern Europe, but can the company clear the hurdles that exist further down the road? Meanwhile, William Grant & Sons was busy last week, contributing funds to the 'No' side of September's Scottish independence referendum and seeing its UK division change its name - a good idea, if you ask me.
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
In yet one more sign that The Coca-Cola Co is losing its lustre, the soft drinks maker has, for the first time, fallen out of the top ten of a 'world's biggest brands' ranking....
The UK spirits industry is preparing itself for short-term losses following the decision to leave the European Union. ...
What a week for stats! Yesterday, the Beverage Marketing Corporation released figures to show the bottled water market had more than doubled over the past 15 years in the US....
The Euro 2016 football tournament is almost upon us....
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- How soft drinks can win big with adult consumers
- Global director int'l brands, Heineken - Interview
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part I
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- SABMiller confirms price paid for Meantime
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- Ex-William Grant CEO Stella David re-joins Bacardi
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends