Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 30 June 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- While PepsiCo targeted opportunities in Egypt’s dairy-based beverage market, through a sizable investment in the country, Coca-Cola Enterprises broadened the rollout of its Coca-Cola Life stevia-sweetened beverage to include Sweden. Elsewhere in soft drinks, we published the latest part of our environmental sustainability management briefing, which focuses on the category. Click here for details of the members-only briefing and, if you’re not a member, click here to find out how to join just-drinks at a special price of GBP1/US$1/EUR1.
- LVMH became the latest name in the frame as a possible suitor for Treasury Wine Estates, joining the likes of Pernod Ricard and Constellation Brands in being linked to the beleaguered wine group. The rumours coincided with the news that Treasury expects a second consecutive fiscal year that will be hit by a writedown. With one bid on the table, is the time right for Treasury to sell up?Stefan Kirk from M&A practitioner Glenboden certainly thinks so.
- In spirits, Diageo announced the appointment of a new global communications director in the same month as it cut 200 head office and regional roles. Something about timing, perhaps? Meanwhile, Brown-Forman flagged the threat to its future growth of the growing tide of marijuana legalisation in the US.Could cannabis replace alcohol?
- While the brewing world obsesses about the seemingly inevitable marriage of Anheuser-Busch InBev and SABMiller, one brewer seems well-placed to benefit from ‘mega-merger’: Have you bought your Molson Coors shares yet? Also, head over here for an exclusive interview with the president of Heineken's Africa & Middle East division.
The homebrewing revival continues in the UK - and evidence has come that even the supermarket chains are taking it semi-seriously. ...
Does Pernod Ricard have something to hide? In a press conference after the release of full-year results today, only a quarter of the 100 minutes were given over to questions from journalists....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Carlsberg, Heineken, Coca-Cola Amatil, California's winelands and Cognac....
The Coca-Cola Co's Keurig Cold machine won't be out until next year. But co-developer Keurig Green Mountain has given us a taste with the unveiling this weekend of another at-home beverage platform, t...
- The End of the Road for International Beer Brands?
- Comment - Another One Bites Bacardi's Dust
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q4 & FY
- US craft vodka puts squeeze on Pernod's Absolut
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- Pernod bemoans tough FY as sales, profits drop
- ASA bans Jägermeister TV ad
- Bacardi announces CFO switch
- SABMiller exec to become CFO at Beam Suntory