Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 30 June 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- While PepsiCo targeted opportunities in Egypt’s dairy-based beverage market, through a sizable investment in the country, Coca-Cola Enterprises broadened the rollout of its Coca-Cola Life stevia-sweetened beverage to include Sweden. Elsewhere in soft drinks, we published the latest part of our environmental sustainability management briefing, which focuses on the category. Click here for details of the members-only briefing and, if you’re not a member, click here to find out how to join just-drinks at a special price of GBP1/US$1/EUR1.
- LVMH became the latest name in the frame as a possible suitor for Treasury Wine Estates, joining the likes of Pernod Ricard and Constellation Brands in being linked to the beleaguered wine group. The rumours coincided with the news that Treasury expects a second consecutive fiscal year that will be hit by a writedown. With one bid on the table, is the time right for Treasury to sell up?Stefan Kirk from M&A practitioner Glenboden certainly thinks so.
- In spirits, Diageo announced the appointment of a new global communications director in the same month as it cut 200 head office and regional roles. Something about timing, perhaps? Meanwhile, Brown-Forman flagged the threat to its future growth of the growing tide of marijuana legalisation in the US.Could cannabis replace alcohol?
- While the brewing world obsesses about the seemingly inevitable marriage of Anheuser-Busch InBev and SABMiller, one brewer seems well-placed to benefit from ‘mega-merger’: Have you bought your Molson Coors shares yet? Also, head over here for an exclusive interview with the president of Heineken's Africa & Middle East division.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends