Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 30 June 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- While PepsiCo targeted opportunities in Egypt’s dairy-based beverage market, through a sizable investment in the country, Coca-Cola Enterprises broadened the rollout of its Coca-Cola Life stevia-sweetened beverage to include Sweden. Elsewhere in soft drinks, we published the latest part of our environmental sustainability management briefing, which focuses on the category. Click here for details of the members-only briefing and, if you’re not a member, click here to find out how to join just-drinks at a special price of GBP1/US$1/EUR1.
- LVMH became the latest name in the frame as a possible suitor for Treasury Wine Estates, joining the likes of Pernod Ricard and Constellation Brands in being linked to the beleaguered wine group. The rumours coincided with the news that Treasury expects a second consecutive fiscal year that will be hit by a writedown. With one bid on the table, is the time right for Treasury to sell up?Stefan Kirk from M&A practitioner Glenboden certainly thinks so.
- In spirits, Diageo announced the appointment of a new global communications director in the same month as it cut 200 head office and regional roles. Something about timing, perhaps? Meanwhile, Brown-Forman flagged the threat to its future growth of the growing tide of marijuana legalisation in the US.Could cannabis replace alcohol?
- While the brewing world obsesses about the seemingly inevitable marriage of Anheuser-Busch InBev and SABMiller, one brewer seems well-placed to benefit from ‘mega-merger’: Have you bought your Molson Coors shares yet? Also, head over here for an exclusive interview with the president of Heineken's Africa & Middle East division.
This weekend, Bacardi is hosting a three-day music event on the private island of Palomino just off the coast of Puerto Rico....
Warmest thanks to all of you who filled in our annual readers' survey this month. The results are very important for us to learn from and look to improve our service to you....
Today's news that German spirits firm Mast-Jägermeister has joined UK responsible drinking organisation The Portman Group may raise eyebrows in some quarters....
Brewers in the UK are relaunching the 'Let There Be Beer' campaign under a fresh banner, including a new TV ad as part of a GBP10m (US$16m) spend. ...
Whisk(e)y companies spend a lot of money and effort ageing their products for that premium taste....
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Comment - Has Scotch Whisky Jumped the Shark?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- SABMiller announces management reshuffle
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Wine in the United Kingdom
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review