Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 30 June 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- While PepsiCo targeted opportunities in Egypt’s dairy-based beverage market, through a sizable investment in the country, Coca-Cola Enterprises broadened the rollout of its Coca-Cola Life stevia-sweetened beverage to include Sweden. Elsewhere in soft drinks, we published the latest part of our environmental sustainability management briefing, which focuses on the category. Click here for details of the members-only briefing and, if you’re not a member, click here to find out how to join just-drinks at a special price of GBP1/US$1/EUR1.
- LVMH became the latest name in the frame as a possible suitor for Treasury Wine Estates, joining the likes of Pernod Ricard and Constellation Brands in being linked to the beleaguered wine group. The rumours coincided with the news that Treasury expects a second consecutive fiscal year that will be hit by a writedown. With one bid on the table, is the time right for Treasury to sell up?Stefan Kirk from M&A practitioner Glenboden certainly thinks so.
- In spirits, Diageo announced the appointment of a new global communications director in the same month as it cut 200 head office and regional roles. Something about timing, perhaps? Meanwhile, Brown-Forman flagged the threat to its future growth of the growing tide of marijuana legalisation in the US.Could cannabis replace alcohol?
- While the brewing world obsesses about the seemingly inevitable marriage of Anheuser-Busch InBev and SABMiller, one brewer seems well-placed to benefit from ‘mega-merger’: Have you bought your Molson Coors shares yet? Also, head over here for an exclusive interview with the president of Heineken's Africa & Middle East division.
Knowledge is power, or so they claim. So, with that in mind, here's an infographic, courtesy of Australian company Hangover Revivol, that breaks down exactly what is behind the common hangover....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring William Grant & Sons, the Southern hemisphere's winemakers, SABMiller and Heineken, and Coke Light....
How many beer mugs can one man carry? ...
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Pernod Ricard, The Coca-Cola Co, SABMiller's new Scotch whisky and Santa Rita Estates....
- Comment - Heineken's 'No' Cuts SABMiller Options
- Irish whiskey eyes a slice of Scotch's global pie
- Scottish Independence and Scotch Whisky
- SABMiller spurned by Heineken: The start of the en
- Can the New World Learn a Lesson from the Old?
- Patron Spirits' Patron Citrónge Lime
- Heineken rejects SABMiller purchase proposal
- Wm Grant CMO to head Orangina Scweppes Int'l
- Diageo's Special Releases 2014
- Diageo ups Johnnie Walker Formula One presence