Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 30 June 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- While PepsiCo targeted opportunities in Egypt’s dairy-based beverage market, through a sizable investment in the country, Coca-Cola Enterprises broadened the rollout of its Coca-Cola Life stevia-sweetened beverage to include Sweden. Elsewhere in soft drinks, we published the latest part of our environmental sustainability management briefing, which focuses on the category. Click here for details of the members-only briefing and, if you’re not a member, click here to find out how to join just-drinks at a special price of GBP1/US$1/EUR1.
- LVMH became the latest name in the frame as a possible suitor for Treasury Wine Estates, joining the likes of Pernod Ricard and Constellation Brands in being linked to the beleaguered wine group. The rumours coincided with the news that Treasury expects a second consecutive fiscal year that will be hit by a writedown. With one bid on the table, is the time right for Treasury to sell up?Stefan Kirk from M&A practitioner Glenboden certainly thinks so.
- In spirits, Diageo announced the appointment of a new global communications director in the same month as it cut 200 head office and regional roles. Something about timing, perhaps? Meanwhile, Brown-Forman flagged the threat to its future growth of the growing tide of marijuana legalisation in the US.Could cannabis replace alcohol?
- While the brewing world obsesses about the seemingly inevitable marriage of Anheuser-Busch InBev and SABMiller, one brewer seems well-placed to benefit from ‘mega-merger’: Have you bought your Molson Coors shares yet? Also, head over here for an exclusive interview with the president of Heineken's Africa & Middle East division.
Could it happen? According to this report, a section of the beer community wants to ditch the word craft. They prefer instead the term “Indie” for brewers they believe follow the enlightened path of t...
The global elite were in Switzerland last week for the World Economic Forum in Davos, the annual corporate huddle for the rich and powerful. The CEO of The Coca-Cola Co, Muhtar Kent, was there too, de...
With The Coca-Cola Co stealing yesterday's limelight with its new united marketing strategy for brand Coke yesterday, a Forbes interview with PepsiCo North America Beverages' new CMO, Seth Kaufman, sl...
Highfern has added a heavily-peated expression to its Angels' Nectar blended Scotch brand....
It is a bold attempt to regain a measure of control in the ever-spiraling debate about sugar. But will The Coca-Cola Co's new marketing strategy - which for the first time ties all of the Coke family ...
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Bacardi ups ante in US Havana Club row
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020