Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 24 June 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- In spirits, Diageo edged nearer majority control of India's United Spirits. Meanwhile, its rival Pernod Ricard confirmed details of a restructure in France, and potential job losses, as part of a global cost-cutting exercise. Our columnist Ian Buxton charted the rise of English whisky, while a new Rabobank report looked at the issue of supply and demand in the Scotch whisky industry.
- In beer, the week was defined by further talk and developments around the category's "alcohol-free" segment. Heineken's CFO told analysts its Dos Equis Radler 0.0% beer is aiming to steal share from the soft drinks category. Meanwhile, Carlsberg-ownedKronenbourg launched an "alcohol-free" version of its 1664 brandand Spanish brewer Hijos de Rivera detailed plans to launch a keg version of its Estrella Galicia 0.0%. The fact that some of these beers are actually 0.5% abv could raise some interesting questions in the future.
- In soft drinks, Andy Morton had a chat with record label boss turned entrepreneur Kevin Liles, who has launched beverages with his friends Jay-Z and Mariah Carey. Meanwhile, I looked at the latest talk around the possible takeover of Monster Beverage Corp. And in India, Coca-Cola is again facing problems after being forced to close one of its bottling facilities.
- In wine, Pernod Ricard launched a new range of red wines, under its Jacob's Creek label, which have been finished in Scotch and Irish whisk(e)y barrels. And, in the UK, wine retailer Majestic was boosted in its full year by online sales, but said the UK trading environment remains "difficult".
Could it happen? According to this report, a section of the beer community wants to ditch the word craft. They prefer instead the term “Indie” for brewers they believe follow the enlightened path of t...
The global elite were in Switzerland last week for the World Economic Forum in Davos, the annual corporate huddle for the rich and powerful. The CEO of The Coca-Cola Co, Muhtar Kent, was there too, de...
With The Coca-Cola Co stealing yesterday's limelight with its new united marketing strategy for brand Coke yesterday, a Forbes interview with PepsiCo North America Beverages' new CMO, Seth Kaufman, sl...
Highfern has added a heavily-peated expression to its Angels' Nectar blended Scotch brand....
It is a bold attempt to regain a measure of control in the ever-spiraling debate about sugar. But will The Coca-Cola Co's new marketing strategy - which for the first time ties all of the Coke family ...
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- What's in store for Super Bowl 5 - Focus
- Will value-sharing in Travel Retail become reality
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- William Grant & Sons restructures US team
- American rye whiskey sales leap 600% in five years
- Moet Hennessy sees China rebound in strong FY
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research