Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 24 June 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- In spirits, Diageo edged nearer majority control of India's United Spirits. Meanwhile, its rival Pernod Ricard confirmed details of a restructure in France, and potential job losses, as part of a global cost-cutting exercise. Our columnist Ian Buxton charted the rise of English whisky, while a new Rabobank report looked at the issue of supply and demand in the Scotch whisky industry.
- In beer, the week was defined by further talk and developments around the category's "alcohol-free" segment. Heineken's CFO told analysts its Dos Equis Radler 0.0% beer is aiming to steal share from the soft drinks category. Meanwhile, Carlsberg-ownedKronenbourg launched an "alcohol-free" version of its 1664 brandand Spanish brewer Hijos de Rivera detailed plans to launch a keg version of its Estrella Galicia 0.0%. The fact that some of these beers are actually 0.5% abv could raise some interesting questions in the future.
- In soft drinks, Andy Morton had a chat with record label boss turned entrepreneur Kevin Liles, who has launched beverages with his friends Jay-Z and Mariah Carey. Meanwhile, I looked at the latest talk around the possible takeover of Monster Beverage Corp. And in India, Coca-Cola is again facing problems after being forced to close one of its bottling facilities.
- In wine, Pernod Ricard launched a new range of red wines, under its Jacob's Creek label, which have been finished in Scotch and Irish whisk(e)y barrels. And, in the UK, wine retailer Majestic was boosted in its full year by online sales, but said the UK trading environment remains "difficult".
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
The Coca-Cola Co is in the middle of a major restructuring plan, affecting jobs around the world. The company is also downsizing its packaging....
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages