Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 24 June 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- In spirits, Diageo edged nearer majority control of India's United Spirits. Meanwhile, its rival Pernod Ricard confirmed details of a restructure in France, and potential job losses, as part of a global cost-cutting exercise. Our columnist Ian Buxton charted the rise of English whisky, while a new Rabobank report looked at the issue of supply and demand in the Scotch whisky industry.
- In beer, the week was defined by further talk and developments around the category's "alcohol-free" segment. Heineken's CFO told analysts its Dos Equis Radler 0.0% beer is aiming to steal share from the soft drinks category. Meanwhile, Carlsberg-ownedKronenbourg launched an "alcohol-free" version of its 1664 brandand Spanish brewer Hijos de Rivera detailed plans to launch a keg version of its Estrella Galicia 0.0%. The fact that some of these beers are actually 0.5% abv could raise some interesting questions in the future.
- In soft drinks, Andy Morton had a chat with record label boss turned entrepreneur Kevin Liles, who has launched beverages with his friends Jay-Z and Mariah Carey. Meanwhile, I looked at the latest talk around the possible takeover of Monster Beverage Corp. And in India, Coca-Cola is again facing problems after being forced to close one of its bottling facilities.
- In wine, Pernod Ricard launched a new range of red wines, under its Jacob's Creek label, which have been finished in Scotch and Irish whisk(e)y barrels. And, in the UK, wine retailer Majestic was boosted in its full year by online sales, but said the UK trading environment remains "difficult".
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Pernod Ricard, soft drinks NPD, the Champagne category and international beer brands....
Heavy metal legend Bruce Dickinson - lead singer of the band Iron Maiden, for the unitiated - is clearly a man not afraid to get his hands dirty. ...
Diageo has extended its Johnnie Walker House experience to the global Travel Retail sector by launching the concept at Mumbai airport today, with another set to open in Taiwan....
The homebrewing revival continues in the UK - and evidence has come that even the supermarket chains are taking it semi-seriously. ...
Chilean wine group Santa Rita Estates (SRE) has appointed a new CEO as the current incumbent has left after nearly four years in the role. ...
Does Pernod Ricard have something to hide? In a press conference after the release of full-year results today, only a quarter of the 100 minutes were given over to questions from journalists....
- Allegro: The shape of things to come at Pernod?
- Comment - Diageo's Distill Ventures: One Year On
- Pernod Ricard's Allegro cost-saving programme
- The End of the Road for International Beer Brands?
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard set for CMO switch
- ASA bans Jägermeister TV ad
- Wine Australia reports death of UK, Europe boss
- Diageo takes Haig Club to Singapore airport
- Pernod bemoans tough FY as sales, profits drop