Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 24 June 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- In spirits, Diageo edged nearer majority control of India's United Spirits. Meanwhile, its rival Pernod Ricard confirmed details of a restructure in France, and potential job losses, as part of a global cost-cutting exercise. Our columnist Ian Buxton charted the rise of English whisky, while a new Rabobank report looked at the issue of supply and demand in the Scotch whisky industry.
- In beer, the week was defined by further talk and developments around the category's "alcohol-free" segment. Heineken's CFO told analysts its Dos Equis Radler 0.0% beer is aiming to steal share from the soft drinks category. Meanwhile, Carlsberg-ownedKronenbourg launched an "alcohol-free" version of its 1664 brandand Spanish brewer Hijos de Rivera detailed plans to launch a keg version of its Estrella Galicia 0.0%. The fact that some of these beers are actually 0.5% abv could raise some interesting questions in the future.
- In soft drinks, Andy Morton had a chat with record label boss turned entrepreneur Kevin Liles, who has launched beverages with his friends Jay-Z and Mariah Carey. Meanwhile, I looked at the latest talk around the possible takeover of Monster Beverage Corp. And in India, Coca-Cola is again facing problems after being forced to close one of its bottling facilities.
- In wine, Pernod Ricard launched a new range of red wines, under its Jacob's Creek label, which have been finished in Scotch and Irish whisk(e)y barrels. And, in the UK, wine retailer Majestic was boosted in its full year by online sales, but said the UK trading environment remains "difficult".
Knowledge is power, or so they claim. So, with that in mind, here's an infographic, courtesy of Australian company Hangover Revivol, that breaks down exactly what is behind the common hangover....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring William Grant & Sons, the Southern hemisphere's winemakers, SABMiller and Heineken, and Coke Light....
How many beer mugs can one man carry? ...
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Pernod Ricard, The Coca-Cola Co, SABMiller's new Scotch whisky and Santa Rita Estates....
- Comment - Heineken's 'No' Cuts SABMiller Options
- Irish whiskey eyes a slice of Scotch's global pie
- Scottish Independence and Scotch Whisky
- SABMiller spurned by Heineken: The start of the en
- Can the New World Learn a Lesson from the Old?
- Patron Spirits' Patron Citrónge Lime
- Heineken rejects SABMiller purchase proposal
- Wm Grant CMO to head Orangina Scweppes Int'l
- Diageo's Special Releases 2014
- SABMiller, Heineken silent on takeover offer talk