Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 24 June 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- In spirits, Diageo edged nearer majority control of India's United Spirits. Meanwhile, its rival Pernod Ricard confirmed details of a restructure in France, and potential job losses, as part of a global cost-cutting exercise. Our columnist Ian Buxton charted the rise of English whisky, while a new Rabobank report looked at the issue of supply and demand in the Scotch whisky industry.
- In beer, the week was defined by further talk and developments around the category's "alcohol-free" segment. Heineken's CFO told analysts its Dos Equis Radler 0.0% beer is aiming to steal share from the soft drinks category. Meanwhile, Carlsberg-ownedKronenbourg launched an "alcohol-free" version of its 1664 brandand Spanish brewer Hijos de Rivera detailed plans to launch a keg version of its Estrella Galicia 0.0%. The fact that some of these beers are actually 0.5% abv could raise some interesting questions in the future.
- In soft drinks, Andy Morton had a chat with record label boss turned entrepreneur Kevin Liles, who has launched beverages with his friends Jay-Z and Mariah Carey. Meanwhile, I looked at the latest talk around the possible takeover of Monster Beverage Corp. And in India, Coca-Cola is again facing problems after being forced to close one of its bottling facilities.
- In wine, Pernod Ricard launched a new range of red wines, under its Jacob's Creek label, which have been finished in Scotch and Irish whisk(e)y barrels. And, in the UK, wine retailer Majestic was boosted in its full year by online sales, but said the UK trading environment remains "difficult".
Diageo's CEO has admitted the year has been "tougher than expected" and defended the company's stake in baijiu brand Shuijingfang. ...
Do you have a water source in your garden? By which, I mean a spring, rather than an outside tap....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring PepsiCo and Coca-Cola Co, Castel, Molson Coors and the cachaca sector....
There was a big focus on supermarkets and their Scotch offerings this week when a couple of own-brand malts scooped top awards at the International Wines and Spirits Competition (IWSC)....
You can't seem to move at the moment for news of US craft brewers expanding....
- just The Preview - Diageo's FY preliminaries
- Diageo chief admits "tougher than expected" year
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Molson Coors CEO exit - Mega-Merger on hold?
- Comment - Beer - What’s in a (Brand) Name?
- ASA bans Jägermeister TV ad
- Belvédère chairman to step down
- Diageo boosts exec committee
- Diageo silent over Shuijingfang writedown report
- Diageo bags Facebook unit boss as director