Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 27 May 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- After having to deny recent M&A speculation, Treasury Wine Estates confirmed on Tuesday that it has received a full takeover offer. The US$2.85bn bid by private equity firm Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co has been turned down by Treasury’s board, who clearly prefer to see if the company’s new CEO can turn its fortunes around. My question is: Will Michael Clarke be given enough time to put his plan into effect?
- Britvic continues its turnaround, with half-year figures last week showing a soft drinks company in rude health. After its UK headaches, which brought into view an aborted merger with AG Barr a year ago, Britvic is looking to the US to augment its improving performance back home. Also in soft drinks, Richard Corbett looked at Monster Beverage Corp to see what the energy drink producer has been doing right of late.
- With contrasting fortunes for sales and profits in its most recent fiscal year, SABMiller saw its performance in the 12 months to the end of March hinge once again on the emerging markets of the world. That said, several markets in Africa provided the brewer with a range of issues that CEO Alan Clark hopes won’t hang around for too long.
- In spirits, meanwhile, we saw the Drambuie Scotch whisky liqueur go up for sale last week. With the brand being produced under licence by Morrison Bowmore Distillers, an acquiror seems immediately obvious. But, has Morrison Bowmore’s parent company, Suntory Holdings, got any money left, having bought Beam Inc for US$16bn last month?
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Yesterday, Remy Cointreau posted a strong jump in YTD sales driven by impressive Cognac Q3 performances in China and the US. Here, just-drinks takes a closer look at the company's sales performance by...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits