Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 27 May 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- After having to deny recent M&A speculation, Treasury Wine Estates confirmed on Tuesday that it has received a full takeover offer. The US$2.85bn bid by private equity firm Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co has been turned down by Treasury’s board, who clearly prefer to see if the company’s new CEO can turn its fortunes around. My question is: Will Michael Clarke be given enough time to put his plan into effect?
- Britvic continues its turnaround, with half-year figures last week showing a soft drinks company in rude health. After its UK headaches, which brought into view an aborted merger with AG Barr a year ago, Britvic is looking to the US to augment its improving performance back home. Also in soft drinks, Richard Corbett looked at Monster Beverage Corp to see what the energy drink producer has been doing right of late.
- With contrasting fortunes for sales and profits in its most recent fiscal year, SABMiller saw its performance in the 12 months to the end of March hinge once again on the emerging markets of the world. That said, several markets in Africa provided the brewer with a range of issues that CEO Alan Clark hopes won’t hang around for too long.
- In spirits, meanwhile, we saw the Drambuie Scotch whisky liqueur go up for sale last week. With the brand being produced under licence by Morrison Bowmore Distillers, an acquiror seems immediately obvious. But, has Morrison Bowmore’s parent company, Suntory Holdings, got any money left, having bought Beam Inc for US$16bn last month?
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the second and final part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol...
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the first part of Andy Morton's daily blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol indu...
Bar Convent Berlin wrapped up on Wednesday, with record numbers of visitors and exhibitors to the on-trade show. just-drinks sat down with co-founder Helmut Adam to find out what changes the show's ne...
Responding to criticism on social media is tough. You've got to engage the consumer without starting an argument and - ideally - get them on side....
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Making consumers the centre of your business
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- Brito gives call to arms to SABMiller shareholders
- Carlsberg UK chief James Lousada quits
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research