Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 27 May 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- After having to deny recent M&A speculation, Treasury Wine Estates confirmed on Tuesday that it has received a full takeover offer. The US$2.85bn bid by private equity firm Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co has been turned down by Treasury’s board, who clearly prefer to see if the company’s new CEO can turn its fortunes around. My question is: Will Michael Clarke be given enough time to put his plan into effect?
- Britvic continues its turnaround, with half-year figures last week showing a soft drinks company in rude health. After its UK headaches, which brought into view an aborted merger with AG Barr a year ago, Britvic is looking to the US to augment its improving performance back home. Also in soft drinks, Richard Corbett looked at Monster Beverage Corp to see what the energy drink producer has been doing right of late.
- With contrasting fortunes for sales and profits in its most recent fiscal year, SABMiller saw its performance in the 12 months to the end of March hinge once again on the emerging markets of the world. That said, several markets in Africa provided the brewer with a range of issues that CEO Alan Clark hopes won’t hang around for too long.
- In spirits, meanwhile, we saw the Drambuie Scotch whisky liqueur go up for sale last week. With the brand being produced under licence by Morrison Bowmore Distillers, an acquiror seems immediately obvious. But, has Morrison Bowmore’s parent company, Suntory Holdings, got any money left, having bought Beam Inc for US$16bn last month?
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Edrington appoints new board director
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Britvic appoints SABMiller's Dunn as CFO
- Whyte & Mackay brings RumChata to UK
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research