Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 27 May 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- After having to deny recent M&A speculation, Treasury Wine Estates confirmed on Tuesday that it has received a full takeover offer. The US$2.85bn bid by private equity firm Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co has been turned down by Treasury’s board, who clearly prefer to see if the company’s new CEO can turn its fortunes around. My question is: Will Michael Clarke be given enough time to put his plan into effect?
- Britvic continues its turnaround, with half-year figures last week showing a soft drinks company in rude health. After its UK headaches, which brought into view an aborted merger with AG Barr a year ago, Britvic is looking to the US to augment its improving performance back home. Also in soft drinks, Richard Corbett looked at Monster Beverage Corp to see what the energy drink producer has been doing right of late.
- With contrasting fortunes for sales and profits in its most recent fiscal year, SABMiller saw its performance in the 12 months to the end of March hinge once again on the emerging markets of the world. That said, several markets in Africa provided the brewer with a range of issues that CEO Alan Clark hopes won’t hang around for too long.
- In spirits, meanwhile, we saw the Drambuie Scotch whisky liqueur go up for sale last week. With the brand being produced under licence by Morrison Bowmore Distillers, an acquiror seems immediately obvious. But, has Morrison Bowmore’s parent company, Suntory Holdings, got any money left, having bought Beam Inc for US$16bn last month?
Collecting wine is big business – and so is faking it. So, how do you tell your Chateau Lafite from your Chateau La Counterfeit?...
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Are Coca-Cola, A-B InBev at a FIFA Crossroads?
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review