Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 27 May 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- After having to deny recent M&A speculation, Treasury Wine Estates confirmed on Tuesday that it has received a full takeover offer. The US$2.85bn bid by private equity firm Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co has been turned down by Treasury’s board, who clearly prefer to see if the company’s new CEO can turn its fortunes around. My question is: Will Michael Clarke be given enough time to put his plan into effect?
- Britvic continues its turnaround, with half-year figures last week showing a soft drinks company in rude health. After its UK headaches, which brought into view an aborted merger with AG Barr a year ago, Britvic is looking to the US to augment its improving performance back home. Also in soft drinks, Richard Corbett looked at Monster Beverage Corp to see what the energy drink producer has been doing right of late.
- With contrasting fortunes for sales and profits in its most recent fiscal year, SABMiller saw its performance in the 12 months to the end of March hinge once again on the emerging markets of the world. That said, several markets in Africa provided the brewer with a range of issues that CEO Alan Clark hopes won’t hang around for too long.
- In spirits, meanwhile, we saw the Drambuie Scotch whisky liqueur go up for sale last week. With the brand being produced under licence by Morrison Bowmore Distillers, an acquiror seems immediately obvious. But, has Morrison Bowmore’s parent company, Suntory Holdings, got any money left, having bought Beam Inc for US$16bn last month?
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
In yet one more sign that The Coca-Cola Co is losing its lustre, the soft drinks maker has, for the first time, fallen out of the top ten of a 'world's biggest brands' ranking....
What a week for stats! Yesterday, the Beverage Marketing Corporation released figures to show the bottled water market had more than doubled over the past 15 years in the US....
The Euro 2016 football tournament is almost upon us....
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Interview - Seedlip founder, Ben Branson
- Customisable drinks - The next consumer trend
- Carlsberg to close UK distribution arm
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- Major spirits M&A remains out of sight - analyst
- C&C Group will be a Brexit victim - analyst
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater packaging revamp
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends