Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 19 May 2014
We are hugely proud to unveil the new-look just-drinks. The revamp came into effect late last week and we couldn’t be happier with it. Of course, your happiness is far more important than ours, so please drop me a line with your thoughts on your new just-drinks.
Meanwhile, on just-drinks last week:
- Campari released Q1 figures that highlighted a tough end to the quarter for the Italy-based company. Like most drinks firms, that Easter slipped into Q2 did for Campari in the first three months of 2014. That said, the company remains positive about the rest of this year, although success in 2014 will depend on whether the company can stop spending. Elsewhere in spirits, regular commentator Ian Buxton considered the Bourbon shortage, while Bacardi appointed an interim CEO.
- While Coca-Cola Co launched the latest version of its 'Freestyle' self-serve beverage dispenser today, SodaStream came out fighting last week against claims there is “push-back” from soft drinks companies to its own home-serve machines. Monster Beverage Corp, meanwhile, looks like it is finally coming good on its international aspirations.
- After Heineken lined up a merger of its subsidiaries in Nigeria earlier this month, analysts ran the rule over the proposal. Is Nigeria - home to the most aggressively competitive beer market in the world (some of the stories I’ve heard are frankly shocking!) - set to become yet more competitive?
- And, while Constellation Brands has been spoken of more in terms of beer in recent months, we all got a reminder last week that the company is still a big noise in the wine industry: Constellation was the latest company to be linked with Treasury Wine Estates’ operations in the US. Would Constellation be interested in making such a move? Probably not, but that’s not to say that M&A isn’t back on the firm’s agenda.
When a company announces a cost-savings programme, you can guarantee it will get its own headline. When the programme is given a name by the company, the headline gets that little bit louder. But when...
Heavy metal legend Bruce Dickinson - lead singer of the band Iron Maiden, for the unitiated - is clearly a man not afraid to get his hands dirty. ...
The homebrewing revival continues in the UK - and evidence has come that even the supermarket chains are taking it semi-seriously. ...
Does Pernod Ricard have something to hide? In a press conference after the release of full-year results today, only a quarter of the 100 minutes were given over to questions from journalists....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Carlsberg, Heineken, Coca-Cola Amatil, California's winelands and Cognac....
- The End of the Road for International Beer Brands?
- Comment - Another One Bites Bacardi's Dust
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- US craft vodka puts squeeze on Pernod's Absolut
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q4 & FY
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- Pernod bemoans tough FY as sales, profits drop
- ASA bans Jägermeister TV ad
- Bacardi announces CFO switch
- SABMiller exec to become CFO at Beam Suntory