Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 19 May 2014
We are hugely proud to unveil the new-look just-drinks. The revamp came into effect late last week and we couldn’t be happier with it. Of course, your happiness is far more important than ours, so please drop me a line with your thoughts on your new just-drinks.
Meanwhile, on just-drinks last week:
- Campari released Q1 figures that highlighted a tough end to the quarter for the Italy-based company. Like most drinks firms, that Easter slipped into Q2 did for Campari in the first three months of 2014. That said, the company remains positive about the rest of this year, although success in 2014 will depend on whether the company can stop spending. Elsewhere in spirits, regular commentator Ian Buxton considered the Bourbon shortage, while Bacardi appointed an interim CEO.
- While Coca-Cola Co launched the latest version of its 'Freestyle' self-serve beverage dispenser today, SodaStream came out fighting last week against claims there is “push-back” from soft drinks companies to its own home-serve machines. Monster Beverage Corp, meanwhile, looks like it is finally coming good on its international aspirations.
- After Heineken lined up a merger of its subsidiaries in Nigeria earlier this month, analysts ran the rule over the proposal. Is Nigeria - home to the most aggressively competitive beer market in the world (some of the stories I’ve heard are frankly shocking!) - set to become yet more competitive?
- And, while Constellation Brands has been spoken of more in terms of beer in recent months, we all got a reminder last week that the company is still a big noise in the wine industry: Constellation was the latest company to be linked with Treasury Wine Estates’ operations in the US. Would Constellation be interested in making such a move? Probably not, but that’s not to say that M&A isn’t back on the firm’s agenda.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- US wholesalers point to Absolut decline - report
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US