Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 19 May 2014
We are hugely proud to unveil the new-look just-drinks. The revamp came into effect late last week and we couldn’t be happier with it. Of course, your happiness is far more important than ours, so please drop me a line with your thoughts on your new just-drinks.
Meanwhile, on just-drinks last week:
- Campari released Q1 figures that highlighted a tough end to the quarter for the Italy-based company. Like most drinks firms, that Easter slipped into Q2 did for Campari in the first three months of 2014. That said, the company remains positive about the rest of this year, although success in 2014 will depend on whether the company can stop spending. Elsewhere in spirits, regular commentator Ian Buxton considered the Bourbon shortage, while Bacardi appointed an interim CEO.
- While Coca-Cola Co launched the latest version of its 'Freestyle' self-serve beverage dispenser today, SodaStream came out fighting last week against claims there is “push-back” from soft drinks companies to its own home-serve machines. Monster Beverage Corp, meanwhile, looks like it is finally coming good on its international aspirations.
- After Heineken lined up a merger of its subsidiaries in Nigeria earlier this month, analysts ran the rule over the proposal. Is Nigeria - home to the most aggressively competitive beer market in the world (some of the stories I’ve heard are frankly shocking!) - set to become yet more competitive?
- And, while Constellation Brands has been spoken of more in terms of beer in recent months, we all got a reminder last week that the company is still a big noise in the wine industry: Constellation was the latest company to be linked with Treasury Wine Estates’ operations in the US. Would Constellation be interested in making such a move? Probably not, but that’s not to say that M&A isn’t back on the firm’s agenda.
In his latest commentary for just-drinks, former drinks analyst Ian Shackleton heads to Brazil to look at 3G's burned fingers, the future worries for Anheuser-Busch InBev and Britvic's samba moves....
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research