Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 19 May 2014
We are hugely proud to unveil the new-look just-drinks. The revamp came into effect late last week and we couldn’t be happier with it. Of course, your happiness is far more important than ours, so please drop me a line with your thoughts on your new just-drinks.
Meanwhile, on just-drinks last week:
- Campari released Q1 figures that highlighted a tough end to the quarter for the Italy-based company. Like most drinks firms, that Easter slipped into Q2 did for Campari in the first three months of 2014. That said, the company remains positive about the rest of this year, although success in 2014 will depend on whether the company can stop spending. Elsewhere in spirits, regular commentator Ian Buxton considered the Bourbon shortage, while Bacardi appointed an interim CEO.
- While Coca-Cola Co launched the latest version of its 'Freestyle' self-serve beverage dispenser today, SodaStream came out fighting last week against claims there is “push-back” from soft drinks companies to its own home-serve machines. Monster Beverage Corp, meanwhile, looks like it is finally coming good on its international aspirations.
- After Heineken lined up a merger of its subsidiaries in Nigeria earlier this month, analysts ran the rule over the proposal. Is Nigeria - home to the most aggressively competitive beer market in the world (some of the stories I’ve heard are frankly shocking!) - set to become yet more competitive?
- And, while Constellation Brands has been spoken of more in terms of beer in recent months, we all got a reminder last week that the company is still a big noise in the wine industry: Constellation was the latest company to be linked with Treasury Wine Estates’ operations in the US. Would Constellation be interested in making such a move? Probably not, but that’s not to say that M&A isn’t back on the firm’s agenda.
The book has been closed - for now - on the end of the plc line for Treasury Wine Estates, following yesterday's announcement that it has called time on negotiations with two separate parties on a pos...
Here's a round-up of the big stories on just-drinks last week, featuring AG Barr, Bombay Sapphire, Wines of South Africa and Pabst Brewing Co....
It seems there's not much in the world that can make people smile these days. Luckily, we're part of an industry that has just been scientifically proven to do just that. ...
This month, Ben Cooper considers the need for healthy competition among drinks companies when it comes to driving industry-wide sustainability....
Despite accounting for just a small percentage of overall sales, craft beer is making an impression on the US....
Here's a round-up of the big stories on just-drinks last week, featuring SABMiller, Orangina Schweppes, PepsiCo and Scottish devolution....
- No Home Comfort for TWE as Bids Collapse
- Bacardi Seeks Own History at Bombay Sapphire Home
- NPD: The Craft Cocktail Revolution
- Private-equity bids "over" - TWE head
- just The Preview - Constellation Brands' Q2 & H1
- Suntory Holdings to split beer, spirits division
- Carlsberg suspends production at Russian brewery
- Anheuser-Busch InBev appoints new AmBev CEO
- Treasury Wine Estates pulls plug on takeover talks
- Diageo's Smirnoff Sours