Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 12 May 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- In a late burst, the spirits category took the plaudits for story of the week when Emperador Inc emerged victorious in the race for Scotch whisky producer Whyte & Mackay. If you just asked “Who?” thenhead over here. Much as this is a surprise development, I believe it’s good that a new player wants to get involved in the Scotch whisky industry. Elsewhere last week, we published the first part of our interview with the head of Stock Spirits, Chris Heath. Part two runs tomorrow.
- Top story in wine last week was the news that Casella Wines is changing its name. ‘Casella Family Brands’ may sound to some like an odd hybrid of the traditional (the cosiness of ‘Family’) and the modern (the cold sheen of ‘Brands’), but the Australian company will be hoping the move sparks a return to growth after a tough couple of years. We also spoke to the head organiser of ProWine China last week.
- We gleaned an interesting insight into one of the soft drinks industry’s detractors last week: At the UK Soft Drinks Industry Conference in London on Wednesday, the campaign director for Action on Sugar said that her organisation prefers the use of pricing as an incentive to steer consumers away from high-sugar offerings. Where the organisation sits on 100% fruit juices, meanwhile, is not entirely clear.
- It was numbers all the way from the brewers last week, with Anheuser-Busch InBev, Carlsberg and Molson Coors all posting their Q1 results. While the World’s brewers will be hoping for the Eastern European goalposts to stop moving some time soon, the introduction of another hurdle in Brazil looks set to keep the beer makers among us on their toes in the coming months.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- US wholesalers point to Absolut decline - report
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US