Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 12 May 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- In a late burst, the spirits category took the plaudits for story of the week when Emperador Inc emerged victorious in the race for Scotch whisky producer Whyte & Mackay. If you just asked “Who?” thenhead over here. Much as this is a surprise development, I believe it’s good that a new player wants to get involved in the Scotch whisky industry. Elsewhere last week, we published the first part of our interview with the head of Stock Spirits, Chris Heath. Part two runs tomorrow.
- Top story in wine last week was the news that Casella Wines is changing its name. ‘Casella Family Brands’ may sound to some like an odd hybrid of the traditional (the cosiness of ‘Family’) and the modern (the cold sheen of ‘Brands’), but the Australian company will be hoping the move sparks a return to growth after a tough couple of years. We also spoke to the head organiser of ProWine China last week.
- We gleaned an interesting insight into one of the soft drinks industry’s detractors last week: At the UK Soft Drinks Industry Conference in London on Wednesday, the campaign director for Action on Sugar said that her organisation prefers the use of pricing as an incentive to steer consumers away from high-sugar offerings. Where the organisation sits on 100% fruit juices, meanwhile, is not entirely clear.
- It was numbers all the way from the brewers last week, with Anheuser-Busch InBev, Carlsberg and Molson Coors all posting their Q1 results. While the World’s brewers will be hoping for the Eastern European goalposts to stop moving some time soon, the introduction of another hurdle in Brazil looks set to keep the beer makers among us on their toes in the coming months.
Whisk(e)y companies spend a lot of money and effort ageing their products for that premium taste....
PepsiCo created a stir last week with the news it is testing a product called Caleb's Kola, with some in the media claiming it was the beginning of a new “craft soda” category....
SABMiller's bid to widen the appeal of beer is very much in evidence at its latest 'House of Peroni' - with beer cocktails and a bigger bottle for the Italian lager brand on offer. ...
Here, courtesy of Nielsen, is a list of the top ten wine brands in the UK off-trade for the year to 11 October....
Here's a round-up of the big stories on just-drinks last week, featuring PepsiCo, SABMiller, the Scotch whisky category and the US wine market....
- Analysis - Remy's Cognac "dead-cat bounce"
- Comment - How Hand-Made is Tito's Handmade Vodka?
- Heineken to stay "active player" in beer M&A - CFO
- Focus - Pernod Ricard's Q1 sales by brand
- Time for Heineken to make a European break
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- United Spirits sees Q1 net loss
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Beam Suntory, Edrington part ways in Travel Retail
- Pernod Ricard sees sales lift in Q1