Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 12 May 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- In a late burst, the spirits category took the plaudits for story of the week when Emperador Inc emerged victorious in the race for Scotch whisky producer Whyte & Mackay. If you just asked “Who?” thenhead over here. Much as this is a surprise development, I believe it’s good that a new player wants to get involved in the Scotch whisky industry. Elsewhere last week, we published the first part of our interview with the head of Stock Spirits, Chris Heath. Part two runs tomorrow.
- Top story in wine last week was the news that Casella Wines is changing its name. ‘Casella Family Brands’ may sound to some like an odd hybrid of the traditional (the cosiness of ‘Family’) and the modern (the cold sheen of ‘Brands’), but the Australian company will be hoping the move sparks a return to growth after a tough couple of years. We also spoke to the head organiser of ProWine China last week.
- We gleaned an interesting insight into one of the soft drinks industry’s detractors last week: At the UK Soft Drinks Industry Conference in London on Wednesday, the campaign director for Action on Sugar said that her organisation prefers the use of pricing as an incentive to steer consumers away from high-sugar offerings. Where the organisation sits on 100% fruit juices, meanwhile, is not entirely clear.
- It was numbers all the way from the brewers last week, with Anheuser-Busch InBev, Carlsberg and Molson Coors all posting their Q1 results. While the World’s brewers will be hoping for the Eastern European goalposts to stop moving some time soon, the introduction of another hurdle in Brazil looks set to keep the beer makers among us on their toes in the coming months.
Brazil still offers a tremendous amount of opportunity, according to Anheuser-Busch InBev's CEO Carlos Brito. ...
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research