Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 12 May 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- In a late burst, the spirits category took the plaudits for story of the week when Emperador Inc emerged victorious in the race for Scotch whisky producer Whyte & Mackay. If you just asked “Who?” thenhead over here. Much as this is a surprise development, I believe it’s good that a new player wants to get involved in the Scotch whisky industry. Elsewhere last week, we published the first part of our interview with the head of Stock Spirits, Chris Heath. Part two runs tomorrow.
- Top story in wine last week was the news that Casella Wines is changing its name. ‘Casella Family Brands’ may sound to some like an odd hybrid of the traditional (the cosiness of ‘Family’) and the modern (the cold sheen of ‘Brands’), but the Australian company will be hoping the move sparks a return to growth after a tough couple of years. We also spoke to the head organiser of ProWine China last week.
- We gleaned an interesting insight into one of the soft drinks industry’s detractors last week: At the UK Soft Drinks Industry Conference in London on Wednesday, the campaign director for Action on Sugar said that her organisation prefers the use of pricing as an incentive to steer consumers away from high-sugar offerings. Where the organisation sits on 100% fruit juices, meanwhile, is not entirely clear.
- It was numbers all the way from the brewers last week, with Anheuser-Busch InBev, Carlsberg and Molson Coors all posting their Q1 results. While the World’s brewers will be hoping for the Eastern European goalposts to stop moving some time soon, the introduction of another hurdle in Brazil looks set to keep the beer makers among us on their toes in the coming months.
Halewood Wines & Spirits has acquired a holding in Irish whiskey producer West Cork Distillers, four months after buying a 50% holding in the firm's The Pogues brand....
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
Last month, SPI Group unveiled its latest advert for Stolichnaya in the US. Its an amusing little number that caries the instruction: Drink what you want. The “I am man” ad looks to distance Millennia...
Who do you work for? I ask, merely to draw your attention to just-drinks’ company pages....
Gruppo Campari is trialling a pre-mix Negroni product in the US as it looks to ride the popularity of the Campari-based cocktail in the country's on-premise....
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- SABMiller's Q1 sales performance by region - Focus
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends