Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 12 May 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- In a late burst, the spirits category took the plaudits for story of the week when Emperador Inc emerged victorious in the race for Scotch whisky producer Whyte & Mackay. If you just asked “Who?” thenhead over here. Much as this is a surprise development, I believe it’s good that a new player wants to get involved in the Scotch whisky industry. Elsewhere last week, we published the first part of our interview with the head of Stock Spirits, Chris Heath. Part two runs tomorrow.
- Top story in wine last week was the news that Casella Wines is changing its name. ‘Casella Family Brands’ may sound to some like an odd hybrid of the traditional (the cosiness of ‘Family’) and the modern (the cold sheen of ‘Brands’), but the Australian company will be hoping the move sparks a return to growth after a tough couple of years. We also spoke to the head organiser of ProWine China last week.
- We gleaned an interesting insight into one of the soft drinks industry’s detractors last week: At the UK Soft Drinks Industry Conference in London on Wednesday, the campaign director for Action on Sugar said that her organisation prefers the use of pricing as an incentive to steer consumers away from high-sugar offerings. Where the organisation sits on 100% fruit juices, meanwhile, is not entirely clear.
- It was numbers all the way from the brewers last week, with Anheuser-Busch InBev, Carlsberg and Molson Coors all posting their Q1 results. While the World’s brewers will be hoping for the Eastern European goalposts to stop moving some time soon, the introduction of another hurdle in Brazil looks set to keep the beer makers among us on their toes in the coming months.
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report