Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 6 May 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Beam Inc is dead. Long live Beam Suntory. The transaction that surprised many when it was announced in January finally closed on Wednesday, with Suntory taking over Beam. To commemorate the purchase, we’ve published a detailed report that covers the ins and outs of the acquisition. For full details, head over here.
- One of the more unlikely rumours last week linked Pernod Ricard with a move for Treasury Wine Estates’ US operations. After the speculation broke in Australia, Treasury’s share price jumped so high that the firm set about dousing the flames with a calming statement. I went a step further, however, suggesting that Pernod would have no interest in the US assets whatsoever.
- In yet another outburst, BrewDog hogged the beer headlines as it attacked a responsible drinking organisation for deeming its marketing inappropriate. The company is without doubt a success story, but I believe the time has come for BrewDog to stop acting like the upstart it once was and look to join the responsibility party.
- In soft drinks, we looked at how The Coca-Cola Co got its hands on Innocent Drinks; a purchase that started five years ago. Speaking of Coca-Cola and fifth anniversaries,where is the company on its “2020 Vision”, launched in 2009?
Finally, we’re very proud to announce the launch of a new column on just-drinks, looking at all things sustainable. Once a month, Ben Cooper will cast his eye over the sustainability landscape of our industry. If this is something you’d like to trumpet on behalf of your company, drop me a line and I’ll put you in touch with Ben.
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report