Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 6 May 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Beam Inc is dead. Long live Beam Suntory. The transaction that surprised many when it was announced in January finally closed on Wednesday, with Suntory taking over Beam. To commemorate the purchase, we’ve published a detailed report that covers the ins and outs of the acquisition. For full details, head over here.
- One of the more unlikely rumours last week linked Pernod Ricard with a move for Treasury Wine Estates’ US operations. After the speculation broke in Australia, Treasury’s share price jumped so high that the firm set about dousing the flames with a calming statement. I went a step further, however, suggesting that Pernod would have no interest in the US assets whatsoever.
- In yet another outburst, BrewDog hogged the beer headlines as it attacked a responsible drinking organisation for deeming its marketing inappropriate. The company is without doubt a success story, but I believe the time has come for BrewDog to stop acting like the upstart it once was and look to join the responsibility party.
- In soft drinks, we looked at how The Coca-Cola Co got its hands on Innocent Drinks; a purchase that started five years ago. Speaking of Coca-Cola and fifth anniversaries,where is the company on its “2020 Vision”, launched in 2009?
Finally, we’re very proud to announce the launch of a new column on just-drinks, looking at all things sustainable. Once a month, Ben Cooper will cast his eye over the sustainability landscape of our industry. If this is something you’d like to trumpet on behalf of your company, drop me a line and I’ll put you in touch with Ben.
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- Jose Cuervo applies to go public
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends