Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 6 May 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Beam Inc is dead. Long live Beam Suntory. The transaction that surprised many when it was announced in January finally closed on Wednesday, with Suntory taking over Beam. To commemorate the purchase, we’ve published a detailed report that covers the ins and outs of the acquisition. For full details, head over here.
- One of the more unlikely rumours last week linked Pernod Ricard with a move for Treasury Wine Estates’ US operations. After the speculation broke in Australia, Treasury’s share price jumped so high that the firm set about dousing the flames with a calming statement. I went a step further, however, suggesting that Pernod would have no interest in the US assets whatsoever.
- In yet another outburst, BrewDog hogged the beer headlines as it attacked a responsible drinking organisation for deeming its marketing inappropriate. The company is without doubt a success story, but I believe the time has come for BrewDog to stop acting like the upstart it once was and look to join the responsibility party.
- In soft drinks, we looked at how The Coca-Cola Co got its hands on Innocent Drinks; a purchase that started five years ago. Speaking of Coca-Cola and fifth anniversaries,where is the company on its “2020 Vision”, launched in 2009?
Finally, we’re very proud to announce the launch of a new column on just-drinks, looking at all things sustainable. Once a month, Ben Cooper will cast his eye over the sustainability landscape of our industry. If this is something you’d like to trumpet on behalf of your company, drop me a line and I’ll put you in touch with Ben.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
Coca-Cola Enterprises (CCE) is planning to roll out new Monster energy drinks in Europe, ahead of its expected bottler merger in the region....
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Molson Coors' Rekorderlig Cider Cocktails - NPD
- Carlsberg's Shed Head and Bad Apple craft - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends