Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 6 May 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Beam Inc is dead. Long live Beam Suntory. The transaction that surprised many when it was announced in January finally closed on Wednesday, with Suntory taking over Beam. To commemorate the purchase, we’ve published a detailed report that covers the ins and outs of the acquisition. For full details, head over here.
- One of the more unlikely rumours last week linked Pernod Ricard with a move for Treasury Wine Estates’ US operations. After the speculation broke in Australia, Treasury’s share price jumped so high that the firm set about dousing the flames with a calming statement. I went a step further, however, suggesting that Pernod would have no interest in the US assets whatsoever.
- In yet another outburst, BrewDog hogged the beer headlines as it attacked a responsible drinking organisation for deeming its marketing inappropriate. The company is without doubt a success story, but I believe the time has come for BrewDog to stop acting like the upstart it once was and look to join the responsibility party.
- In soft drinks, we looked at how The Coca-Cola Co got its hands on Innocent Drinks; a purchase that started five years ago. Speaking of Coca-Cola and fifth anniversaries,where is the company on its “2020 Vision”, launched in 2009?
Finally, we’re very proud to announce the launch of a new column on just-drinks, looking at all things sustainable. Once a month, Ben Cooper will cast his eye over the sustainability landscape of our industry. If this is something you’d like to trumpet on behalf of your company, drop me a line and I’ll put you in touch with Ben.
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Angostura places CEO on administrative leave
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends