Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 6 May 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Beam Inc is dead. Long live Beam Suntory. The transaction that surprised many when it was announced in January finally closed on Wednesday, with Suntory taking over Beam. To commemorate the purchase, we’ve published a detailed report that covers the ins and outs of the acquisition. For full details, head over here.
- One of the more unlikely rumours last week linked Pernod Ricard with a move for Treasury Wine Estates’ US operations. After the speculation broke in Australia, Treasury’s share price jumped so high that the firm set about dousing the flames with a calming statement. I went a step further, however, suggesting that Pernod would have no interest in the US assets whatsoever.
- In yet another outburst, BrewDog hogged the beer headlines as it attacked a responsible drinking organisation for deeming its marketing inappropriate. The company is without doubt a success story, but I believe the time has come for BrewDog to stop acting like the upstart it once was and look to join the responsibility party.
- In soft drinks, we looked at how The Coca-Cola Co got its hands on Innocent Drinks; a purchase that started five years ago. Speaking of Coca-Cola and fifth anniversaries,where is the company on its “2020 Vision”, launched in 2009?
Finally, we’re very proud to announce the launch of a new column on just-drinks, looking at all things sustainable. Once a month, Ben Cooper will cast his eye over the sustainability landscape of our industry. If this is something you’d like to trumpet on behalf of your company, drop me a line and I’ll put you in touch with Ben.
Knowledge is power, or so they claim. So, with that in mind, here's an infographic, courtesy of Australian company Hangover Revivol, that breaks down exactly what is behind the common hangover....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring William Grant & Sons, the Southern hemisphere's winemakers, SABMiller and Heineken, and Coke Light....
The first part of this month's management briefing on sustainability in the spirits sector sees Ben Cooper flag the importance of collaboration - both internal and external - among companies and trade...
How many beer mugs can one man carry? ...
Part two of this month's four-part members' briefing on environmental sustainability in the spirits sector looks at spreading the work-load among other trade associations and other drinks sectors....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Pernod Ricard, The Coca-Cola Co, SABMiller's new Scotch whisky and Santa Rita Estates....
- Scottish Independence and Scotch Whisky
- Whisk(e)y leads vodka in US, but for how long?
- Wine in the UK: Tell Us Something We Don't Know
- SABMiller spurned by Heineken: The start of the en
- Comment - Heineken's 'No' Cuts SABMiller Options
- LIVE BLOG: Industry responds to Scotland 'No' vote
- Diageo ups Johnnie Walker Formula One presence
- A-B InBev shakes up Euro units, UK head steps down
- Bacardi lifts curtain on Bombay Sapphire distiller
- William Grant opens Tullamore D.E.W. distillery