Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 28 April 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- The release of Heineken’s Q1 figures on Thursday gave us the chance to drill down into the company’s current performance. It was almost three years ago when Heineken’s CEO flagged up the importance of Africa to its future plans. “What Brazil is for Anheuser-Busch InBev,” Jean-François van Boxmeer told me, “Africa is for Heineken.” So, how is the region - led by Nigeria for Heineken - bearing up for the brewer?
- Pernod Ricard, meanwhile, reported Q3 and YTD sales on Thursday (it was a busy day) that - yet again - highlighted the headaches being caused in China. But, away from the grim headlines, the wine and spirits company has been gaining plaudits for its broader footprint. And, that’s something Remy Cointreau would probably kill for.
- Staying with Pernod, the firm made a surprise purchase last week, in the form of Kenwood Vineyards in the US. For details on what it is that Pernod has bought,click here. Does the purchase mark the start of a wine shopping spree for Pernod? Also, we welcomed back a familiar face last week, with Troy Christensen, formerly of Constellation Brands and Accolade Wines returning to the wine fold.
- Finally, it looks like PepsiCo isn’t the only soft drinks company in disagreement with a rogue - albeit high-profile - shareholder. While CEO Indra Nooyi has found herself in the position where she needs to remind folk that she’s “still in the chair”, The Coca-Cola Co will be hoping for less drastic measures to calm Warren Buffett. The company’s biggest shareholder abstained from a vote on Coca-Cola’s executive pay plan, deeming the numbers involved “excessive”.
Pernod Ricard's Cognac unit, Maison Martell, is about to celebrate its 300th anniversary. just-drinks caught up with Philippe Guettat, Martell's CEO & chairman, to discuss how the party preparations a...
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
Brown-Forman is rolling out its Little Black Dress flavoured vodka range to the UK under the brand name LBD....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
- Analysis - Will Diageo call time on wine?
- Martell's CEO & chairman, Philippe Guettat
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Currency woes hurt Latin American FTZs - Diageo
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- A-B InBev snaps up Bogotá Beer Co in Colombia
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- Beam Suntory defeats 'handmade' lawsuit
- Diageo Canada adds new RTD canning line
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review