Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 28 April 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- The release of Heineken’s Q1 figures on Thursday gave us the chance to drill down into the company’s current performance. It was almost three years ago when Heineken’s CEO flagged up the importance of Africa to its future plans. “What Brazil is for Anheuser-Busch InBev,” Jean-François van Boxmeer told me, “Africa is for Heineken.” So, how is the region - led by Nigeria for Heineken - bearing up for the brewer?
- Pernod Ricard, meanwhile, reported Q3 and YTD sales on Thursday (it was a busy day) that - yet again - highlighted the headaches being caused in China. But, away from the grim headlines, the wine and spirits company has been gaining plaudits for its broader footprint. And, that’s something Remy Cointreau would probably kill for.
- Staying with Pernod, the firm made a surprise purchase last week, in the form of Kenwood Vineyards in the US. For details on what it is that Pernod has bought,click here. Does the purchase mark the start of a wine shopping spree for Pernod? Also, we welcomed back a familiar face last week, with Troy Christensen, formerly of Constellation Brands and Accolade Wines returning to the wine fold.
- Finally, it looks like PepsiCo isn’t the only soft drinks company in disagreement with a rogue - albeit high-profile - shareholder. While CEO Indra Nooyi has found herself in the position where she needs to remind folk that she’s “still in the chair”, The Coca-Cola Co will be hoping for less drastic measures to calm Warren Buffett. The company’s biggest shareholder abstained from a vote on Coca-Cola’s executive pay plan, deeming the numbers involved “excessive”.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
It's good to be in the bottled water business. According to Canadean, packaged water sales are expected to drive almost all of the net growth in beverage consumption over the next five years in the US...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends