Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 22 April 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Diageo was quick to line up its excuses after its trading update on Thursday flagged slowing sales and sliding volumes for the year to date. While the analyst community was united in its disappointment, the firm argued that things were not as bad as they seem, with a range of one-offs hampering performance. One thing became abundantly clear, however: Those who felt that international spirits have been suffering a Chinese blip in the last year or so are now few and far between. We need only look at Remy Cointreau’s profit warning last week for further evidence.
- In soft drinks, both The Coca-Cola Co and PepsiCo reported their Q1 numbers last week. Coca-Cola saw sales and profits both slip in the first three months of 2014, as PepsiCo’s bottom line received a boost in the same period. That said, PepsiCo would appear to have its snacks division to thank for driving the performance: its beverage volumes globally came in flat. Be assured, then, that the beverage side of the company will be hoping PepsiCo’s board delivers on its promise to keep the company together, whatever the weather.
- The Australian wine industry collectively is suffering in the US, it would appear, as full-year volume numbers from Wine Australia highlighted a tough 12 months in the country. While the UK remains one of the most important markets for Australia’s wines, China - long held to be the next big battleground - failed to capitalise on the UK’s volume and value falls. Meanwhile, South Africa’s winemakers have been warned to start looking for new markets beyond Europe. Maybe not China, though, yeah?
- In brewing, regular commentator Larry Nelson took to his crystal ball last week, to look at what the future holds for the craft beer segment. Larry’s thoughts form part of our latest ‘on-trend’ report, which offers an in-depth look into the sub-category. Full details of the report can be found here.
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
The Coca-Cola Co is in the middle of a major restructuring plan, affecting jobs around the world. The company is also downsizing its packaging....
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research