Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 22 April 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Diageo was quick to line up its excuses after its trading update on Thursday flagged slowing sales and sliding volumes for the year to date. While the analyst community was united in its disappointment, the firm argued that things were not as bad as they seem, with a range of one-offs hampering performance. One thing became abundantly clear, however: Those who felt that international spirits have been suffering a Chinese blip in the last year or so are now few and far between. We need only look at Remy Cointreau’s profit warning last week for further evidence.
- In soft drinks, both The Coca-Cola Co and PepsiCo reported their Q1 numbers last week. Coca-Cola saw sales and profits both slip in the first three months of 2014, as PepsiCo’s bottom line received a boost in the same period. That said, PepsiCo would appear to have its snacks division to thank for driving the performance: its beverage volumes globally came in flat. Be assured, then, that the beverage side of the company will be hoping PepsiCo’s board delivers on its promise to keep the company together, whatever the weather.
- The Australian wine industry collectively is suffering in the US, it would appear, as full-year volume numbers from Wine Australia highlighted a tough 12 months in the country. While the UK remains one of the most important markets for Australia’s wines, China - long held to be the next big battleground - failed to capitalise on the UK’s volume and value falls. Meanwhile, South Africa’s winemakers have been warned to start looking for new markets beyond Europe. Maybe not China, though, yeah?
- In brewing, regular commentator Larry Nelson took to his crystal ball last week, to look at what the future holds for the craft beer segment. Larry’s thoughts form part of our latest ‘on-trend’ report, which offers an in-depth look into the sub-category. Full details of the report can be found here.
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report