Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 14 April 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Bacardi bade farewell to its president & CEO, Ed Shirley, who announced his intention to retire. Shirley was Bacardi’s third CEO in ten years and held the role from March, 2012. The previous two incumbents were in the hot seat for three-and-a-half years and three years and three months, respectively. All three retired: Could it be time for a young gun? Meanwhile, Diageo unveiled a partnership with global you-name-it David Beckham. I’m tired of footballing analogies, so shall merely ask: Could this tie-up prove successful for the company and its Haig Club single grain Scotch whisky release?
- There was plenty for you wine folk to get your teeth into, starting with our consideration of the rise of Oregon. The US wine region has been the centre of a flurry of acquisition activity of late; could Oregon be the next big thing in the US? Elsewhere, Chris Losh pondered the opportunities available to New World wine producers as the Old World faces struggles closer to home. And, we took a closer look at the interesting comments aired by the new CEO of Treasury Wine Estates on Tuesday.
- The brewers among us should hotfoot it over here for the latest management briefing, which looks at all things sustainable for the beer industry. There was also the small matter of a just-drinks exclusive last week, when we reported that Anheuser-Busch InBev has snapped up Siping Ginsber Draft Beer Co in China.
- Finally, as PepsiCo readied the US rollout of three Pepsi extensions that are sweetened with “real” sugar, soft drinks commentator Ray Rowlands ran the rule over the battle to split the drinks and snacks giant into two separate entities.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits