Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 14 April 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Bacardi bade farewell to its president & CEO, Ed Shirley, who announced his intention to retire. Shirley was Bacardi’s third CEO in ten years and held the role from March, 2012. The previous two incumbents were in the hot seat for three-and-a-half years and three years and three months, respectively. All three retired: Could it be time for a young gun? Meanwhile, Diageo unveiled a partnership with global you-name-it David Beckham. I’m tired of footballing analogies, so shall merely ask: Could this tie-up prove successful for the company and its Haig Club single grain Scotch whisky release?
- There was plenty for you wine folk to get your teeth into, starting with our consideration of the rise of Oregon. The US wine region has been the centre of a flurry of acquisition activity of late; could Oregon be the next big thing in the US? Elsewhere, Chris Losh pondered the opportunities available to New World wine producers as the Old World faces struggles closer to home. And, we took a closer look at the interesting comments aired by the new CEO of Treasury Wine Estates on Tuesday.
- The brewers among us should hotfoot it over here for the latest management briefing, which looks at all things sustainable for the beer industry. There was also the small matter of a just-drinks exclusive last week, when we reported that Anheuser-Busch InBev has snapped up Siping Ginsber Draft Beer Co in China.
- Finally, as PepsiCo readied the US rollout of three Pepsi extensions that are sweetened with “real” sugar, soft drinks commentator Ray Rowlands ran the rule over the battle to split the drinks and snacks giant into two separate entities.
Knowledge is power, or so they claim. So, with that in mind, here's an infographic, courtesy of Australian company Hangover Revivol, that breaks down exactly what is behind the common hangover....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring William Grant & Sons, the Southern hemisphere's winemakers, SABMiller and Heineken, and Coke Light....
How many beer mugs can one man carry? ...
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Pernod Ricard, The Coca-Cola Co, SABMiller's new Scotch whisky and Santa Rita Estates....
- Scottish Independence and Scotch Whisky
- Comment - Heineken's 'No' Cuts SABMiller Options
- SABMiller spurned by Heineken: The start of the en
- Irish whiskey eyes a slice of Scotch's global pie
- Can the New World Learn a Lesson from the Old?
- Diageo's Special Releases 2014
- LIVE BLOG: Industry responds to Scotland 'No' vote
- Diageo ups Johnnie Walker Formula One presence
- William Grant opens Tullamore D.E.W. distillery
- Rabobank warns of "mountainous task" for Scotch