Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 14 April 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Bacardi bade farewell to its president & CEO, Ed Shirley, who announced his intention to retire. Shirley was Bacardi’s third CEO in ten years and held the role from March, 2012. The previous two incumbents were in the hot seat for three-and-a-half years and three years and three months, respectively. All three retired: Could it be time for a young gun? Meanwhile, Diageo unveiled a partnership with global you-name-it David Beckham. I’m tired of footballing analogies, so shall merely ask: Could this tie-up prove successful for the company and its Haig Club single grain Scotch whisky release?
- There was plenty for you wine folk to get your teeth into, starting with our consideration of the rise of Oregon. The US wine region has been the centre of a flurry of acquisition activity of late; could Oregon be the next big thing in the US? Elsewhere, Chris Losh pondered the opportunities available to New World wine producers as the Old World faces struggles closer to home. And, we took a closer look at the interesting comments aired by the new CEO of Treasury Wine Estates on Tuesday.
- The brewers among us should hotfoot it over here for the latest management briefing, which looks at all things sustainable for the beer industry. There was also the small matter of a just-drinks exclusive last week, when we reported that Anheuser-Busch InBev has snapped up Siping Ginsber Draft Beer Co in China.
- Finally, as PepsiCo readied the US rollout of three Pepsi extensions that are sweetened with “real” sugar, soft drinks commentator Ray Rowlands ran the rule over the battle to split the drinks and snacks giant into two separate entities.
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
Last month, SPI Group unveiled its latest advert for Stolichnaya in the US. Its an amusing little number that caries the instruction: Drink what you want. The “I am man” ad looks to distance Millennia...
Who do you work for? I ask, merely to draw your attention to just-drinks’ company pages....
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Diageo's FY performance by region - Focus
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Time to take stock of Constellation's Corona
- The future for drinks industry's waste products
- Diageo sets sights on alcohol-alternative trends
- SABMiller puts brakes on A-B InBev integration
- "We tried to make Bushmills hot" - Diageo CEO
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- Brexit "not a big deal" for Scotch - Diageo CEO
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends