Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 14 April 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Bacardi bade farewell to its president & CEO, Ed Shirley, who announced his intention to retire. Shirley was Bacardi’s third CEO in ten years and held the role from March, 2012. The previous two incumbents were in the hot seat for three-and-a-half years and three years and three months, respectively. All three retired: Could it be time for a young gun? Meanwhile, Diageo unveiled a partnership with global you-name-it David Beckham. I’m tired of footballing analogies, so shall merely ask: Could this tie-up prove successful for the company and its Haig Club single grain Scotch whisky release?
- There was plenty for you wine folk to get your teeth into, starting with our consideration of the rise of Oregon. The US wine region has been the centre of a flurry of acquisition activity of late; could Oregon be the next big thing in the US? Elsewhere, Chris Losh pondered the opportunities available to New World wine producers as the Old World faces struggles closer to home. And, we took a closer look at the interesting comments aired by the new CEO of Treasury Wine Estates on Tuesday.
- The brewers among us should hotfoot it over here for the latest management briefing, which looks at all things sustainable for the beer industry. There was also the small matter of a just-drinks exclusive last week, when we reported that Anheuser-Busch InBev has snapped up Siping Ginsber Draft Beer Co in China.
- Finally, as PepsiCo readied the US rollout of three Pepsi extensions that are sweetened with “real” sugar, soft drinks commentator Ray Rowlands ran the rule over the battle to split the drinks and snacks giant into two separate entities.
Brazil still offers a tremendous amount of opportunity, according to Anheuser-Busch InBev's CEO Carlos Brito. ...
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research