Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 14 April 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Bacardi bade farewell to its president & CEO, Ed Shirley, who announced his intention to retire. Shirley was Bacardi’s third CEO in ten years and held the role from March, 2012. The previous two incumbents were in the hot seat for three-and-a-half years and three years and three months, respectively. All three retired: Could it be time for a young gun? Meanwhile, Diageo unveiled a partnership with global you-name-it David Beckham. I’m tired of footballing analogies, so shall merely ask: Could this tie-up prove successful for the company and its Haig Club single grain Scotch whisky release?
- There was plenty for you wine folk to get your teeth into, starting with our consideration of the rise of Oregon. The US wine region has been the centre of a flurry of acquisition activity of late; could Oregon be the next big thing in the US? Elsewhere, Chris Losh pondered the opportunities available to New World wine producers as the Old World faces struggles closer to home. And, we took a closer look at the interesting comments aired by the new CEO of Treasury Wine Estates on Tuesday.
- The brewers among us should hotfoot it over here for the latest management briefing, which looks at all things sustainable for the beer industry. There was also the small matter of a just-drinks exclusive last week, when we reported that Anheuser-Busch InBev has snapped up Siping Ginsber Draft Beer Co in China.
- Finally, as PepsiCo readied the US rollout of three Pepsi extensions that are sweetened with “real” sugar, soft drinks commentator Ray Rowlands ran the rule over the battle to split the drinks and snacks giant into two separate entities.
Heineken is looking to premiumise the global cider category by incorporating cider production within its existing breweries....
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- New whisky distillery set for Edinburgh
- India overtakes France for Pernod Ricard
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research