Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 7 April 2014
The latest just-drinks webinar is almost upon us. The hour-long presentation, which takes place tomorrow (8 April) at 1400 UTC, looks at the results of our industry confidence survey. We’d love for you to join us for the free-to-attend webinar, full details of which can be found here.
Meanwhile, on just-drinks last week:
- The spirits rumour mill cranked into operation again, with Brown-Forman being mooted as looking to buy Remy Cointreau. The noises come just over a month after Brown-Forman was supposedly a takeover target itself, with Bacardi being linked to a move. Our take on the latest rumours? Head over here to find out. Elsewhere, we understand that Pernod Ricard is looking - again - at offloading its Becherovka liqueur brand. Who’s in the running? Well, here’s who’s not in the running, we reckon.
- PepsiCo had a go at spoiling Coca-Cola Co's parade on Wednesday: Coca-Cola is backing its FIFA World Cup official sponsorship tie-up with a global TV ad campaign. It must have been sheer coincidence that PepsiCo - which has no such official deal with the event - chose the same day as Coca-Cola to release its spot. And, as I suggested, it's clear where the two companies have spent their dollars.
- SABMiller started the week with the latest presentation in its quarterly divisional seminar series, this time looking at South Africa. Could the ladies of South Africa provide the next big growth market for the brewer? Anheuser-Busch InBev, meanwhile, welcomed Oriental Brewery back into its ranks.
- For you wine folk, we have more fruits from our Dusseldorf labours late last month. While at ProWein - click here for a round-up of our coverage of the exhibition - we met with the GM of Constellation Brands' international division, Philip Kingston.
Finally, on a personal note, I shall be running the London Marathon this coming Sunday (13 April). Here's why.
The UK alcoholic drinks industry has delivered on an alcohol-unit reduction pledge two years early, according to a new report. ...
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced....
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read comment pieces by just-drinks' editor, Olly Wehring, ...
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Coca-Cola to get boost from Monster in China
- just the Ten - Top Analyses of 2014
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- SWA eyes London boost with new office
- United Spirits bids for distribution deal approval
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018