Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 7 April 2014
The latest just-drinks webinar is almost upon us. The hour-long presentation, which takes place tomorrow (8 April) at 1400 UTC, looks at the results of our industry confidence survey. We’d love for you to join us for the free-to-attend webinar, full details of which can be found here.
Meanwhile, on just-drinks last week:
- The spirits rumour mill cranked into operation again, with Brown-Forman being mooted as looking to buy Remy Cointreau. The noises come just over a month after Brown-Forman was supposedly a takeover target itself, with Bacardi being linked to a move. Our take on the latest rumours? Head over here to find out. Elsewhere, we understand that Pernod Ricard is looking - again - at offloading its Becherovka liqueur brand. Who’s in the running? Well, here’s who’s not in the running, we reckon.
- PepsiCo had a go at spoiling Coca-Cola Co's parade on Wednesday: Coca-Cola is backing its FIFA World Cup official sponsorship tie-up with a global TV ad campaign. It must have been sheer coincidence that PepsiCo - which has no such official deal with the event - chose the same day as Coca-Cola to release its spot. And, as I suggested, it's clear where the two companies have spent their dollars.
- SABMiller started the week with the latest presentation in its quarterly divisional seminar series, this time looking at South Africa. Could the ladies of South Africa provide the next big growth market for the brewer? Anheuser-Busch InBev, meanwhile, welcomed Oriental Brewery back into its ranks.
- For you wine folk, we have more fruits from our Dusseldorf labours late last month. While at ProWein - click here for a round-up of our coverage of the exhibition - we met with the GM of Constellation Brands' international division, Philip Kingston.
Finally, on a personal note, I shall be running the London Marathon this coming Sunday (13 April). Here's why.
Whisk(e)y companies spend a lot of money and effort ageing their products for that premium taste....
PepsiCo created a stir last week with the news it is testing a product called Caleb's Kola, with some in the media claiming it was the beginning of a new “craft soda” category....
SABMiller's bid to widen the appeal of beer is very much in evidence at its latest 'House of Peroni' - with beer cocktails and a bigger bottle for the Italian lager brand on offer. ...
Here's a round-up of the big stories on just-drinks last week, featuring PepsiCo, SABMiller, the Scotch whisky category and the US wine market....
- Analysis - Remy's Cognac "dead-cat bounce"
- Comment - How Hand-Made is Tito's Handmade Vodka?
- Heineken to stay "active player" in beer M&A - CFO
- Diageo's future brighter than present suggests
- Focus - Pernod Ricard's Q1 sales by brand
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- United Spirits sees Q1 net loss
- Beam Suntory, Edrington part ways in Travel Retail
- Diageo puts Beckham centre stage in Haig Club ad
- Smirnoff Ice gets India launch