Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 31 March 2014
We’re a week away from our next webinar. The hour-long presentation, which takes place on Tuesday 8 April at 1400 UTC, looks at the results of our industry confidence survey. We’d love for you to join us for the free-to-attend webinar, full details of which can be found here.
Meanwhile, on just-drinks last week:
- The wine producers of Europe breathed a sigh of relief when their trade body secured an end to the anti-dumping row with its Chinese counterpart. With China viewed by many as the next big growth area for wine (just ask Constellation), the uncertainty of the last six months looks finally to have come to an end. Go east, young man! Meanwhile, this year’s ProWein exhibition took place in Dusseldorf last week. Here’s the full round-up of our coverage of the event.
- China also hogged the spirits headlines, with both Pernod Ricard and Diageo highlighting their efforts in the country. Pernod is looking to the country’s female consumers to help it get over the Cognac hump, while Diageo shuffled its executive pack to target China - and India - going forward. Elsewhere, Suntory moved a step closer to completing its purchase of Beam Inc - we can expect the deal to close at the end of April.
- Back to China, and Heineken signalled its hopes for the country’s beer market, as it began construction of its third brewery there. Further north, however,Anheuser-Busch InBev closed yet another facility in Russia as the authorities’ clampdown on irresponsible consumption continues to bite the brewers.
- In soft drinks, AG Barr toasted a healthy 2013, as it reported a strong set of numbers for the year. Shortly after the release of the figures, Barr’s CEO told us of his lack of concern at the arrival of Suntory in the UK’s soft drinks market.
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Diageo has turned a London landmark into a private club for its David Beckham-backed Haig Club Scotch whisky....
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research