Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 31 March 2014
We’re a week away from our next webinar. The hour-long presentation, which takes place on Tuesday 8 April at 1400 UTC, looks at the results of our industry confidence survey. We’d love for you to join us for the free-to-attend webinar, full details of which can be found here.
Meanwhile, on just-drinks last week:
- The wine producers of Europe breathed a sigh of relief when their trade body secured an end to the anti-dumping row with its Chinese counterpart. With China viewed by many as the next big growth area for wine (just ask Constellation), the uncertainty of the last six months looks finally to have come to an end. Go east, young man! Meanwhile, this year’s ProWein exhibition took place in Dusseldorf last week. Here’s the full round-up of our coverage of the event.
- China also hogged the spirits headlines, with both Pernod Ricard and Diageo highlighting their efforts in the country. Pernod is looking to the country’s female consumers to help it get over the Cognac hump, while Diageo shuffled its executive pack to target China - and India - going forward. Elsewhere, Suntory moved a step closer to completing its purchase of Beam Inc - we can expect the deal to close at the end of April.
- Back to China, and Heineken signalled its hopes for the country’s beer market, as it began construction of its third brewery there. Further north, however,Anheuser-Busch InBev closed yet another facility in Russia as the authorities’ clampdown on irresponsible consumption continues to bite the brewers.
- In soft drinks, AG Barr toasted a healthy 2013, as it reported a strong set of numbers for the year. Shortly after the release of the figures, Barr’s CEO told us of his lack of concern at the arrival of Suntory in the UK’s soft drinks market.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read comment pieces by just-drinks' editor, Olly Wehring, ...
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced....
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future