Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 31 March 2014
We’re a week away from our next webinar. The hour-long presentation, which takes place on Tuesday 8 April at 1400 UTC, looks at the results of our industry confidence survey. We’d love for you to join us for the free-to-attend webinar, full details of which can be found here.
Meanwhile, on just-drinks last week:
- The wine producers of Europe breathed a sigh of relief when their trade body secured an end to the anti-dumping row with its Chinese counterpart. With China viewed by many as the next big growth area for wine (just ask Constellation), the uncertainty of the last six months looks finally to have come to an end. Go east, young man! Meanwhile, this year’s ProWein exhibition took place in Dusseldorf last week. Here’s the full round-up of our coverage of the event.
- China also hogged the spirits headlines, with both Pernod Ricard and Diageo highlighting their efforts in the country. Pernod is looking to the country’s female consumers to help it get over the Cognac hump, while Diageo shuffled its executive pack to target China - and India - going forward. Elsewhere, Suntory moved a step closer to completing its purchase of Beam Inc - we can expect the deal to close at the end of April.
- Back to China, and Heineken signalled its hopes for the country’s beer market, as it began construction of its third brewery there. Further north, however,Anheuser-Busch InBev closed yet another facility in Russia as the authorities’ clampdown on irresponsible consumption continues to bite the brewers.
- In soft drinks, AG Barr toasted a healthy 2013, as it reported a strong set of numbers for the year. Shortly after the release of the figures, Barr’s CEO told us of his lack of concern at the arrival of Suntory in the UK’s soft drinks market.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Diageo is poised to release a new, Scotch whisky-based product in Latin America in the coming months, possibly as an extension of the Johnnie Walker brand....
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Craft more about stories than M&A for Diageo
- Diageo readies "not quite as sincere" Scotch
- The Glenlivet leapfrogs Glenfiddich
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review