Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 31 March 2014
We’re a week away from our next webinar. The hour-long presentation, which takes place on Tuesday 8 April at 1400 UTC, looks at the results of our industry confidence survey. We’d love for you to join us for the free-to-attend webinar, full details of which can be found here.
Meanwhile, on just-drinks last week:
- The wine producers of Europe breathed a sigh of relief when their trade body secured an end to the anti-dumping row with its Chinese counterpart. With China viewed by many as the next big growth area for wine (just ask Constellation), the uncertainty of the last six months looks finally to have come to an end. Go east, young man! Meanwhile, this year’s ProWein exhibition took place in Dusseldorf last week. Here’s the full round-up of our coverage of the event.
- China also hogged the spirits headlines, with both Pernod Ricard and Diageo highlighting their efforts in the country. Pernod is looking to the country’s female consumers to help it get over the Cognac hump, while Diageo shuffled its executive pack to target China - and India - going forward. Elsewhere, Suntory moved a step closer to completing its purchase of Beam Inc - we can expect the deal to close at the end of April.
- Back to China, and Heineken signalled its hopes for the country’s beer market, as it began construction of its third brewery there. Further north, however,Anheuser-Busch InBev closed yet another facility in Russia as the authorities’ clampdown on irresponsible consumption continues to bite the brewers.
- In soft drinks, AG Barr toasted a healthy 2013, as it reported a strong set of numbers for the year. Shortly after the release of the figures, Barr’s CEO told us of his lack of concern at the arrival of Suntory in the UK’s soft drinks market.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
Coca-Cola Enterprises (CCE) is planning to roll out new Monster energy drinks in Europe, ahead of its expected bottler merger in the region....
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Molson Coors' Rekorderlig Cider Cocktails - NPD
- Bacardi recruits ex-News International exec
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends