Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 25 March 2014
It's about that time of year when just-drinks hosts its annual webinar, looking at the results of our industry confidence survey. We'll run the live, free-to-attend webinar on Tuesday 8 April at 1400 UTC and we'd love for you to join us. Full details and a link to registration can be found here.
Meanwhile, on just-drinks last week:
- We attended the annual Consumer Analyst Group Europe conference in London at the start of the week. Much as SABMiller and Diageo were there, we noted a distinctly soft drink slant - and a Coca-Cola one at that - to proceedings. The Coca-Cola Co, Coca-Cola HBC, Coca-Cola Enterprises and Coca-Cola Icecek all presented to the assembled analysts. One of the topics up for discussion was the future for Coca-Cola Co's German bottling operations. Do you want to buy them?
- The spirits industry was rocked by the very public slanging match that kicked off in Tennessee between Brown-Forman and Diageo. When Brown-Forman fired the first shot, we didn't have to wait long for Diageo to step up. My worry is that, when such a disagreement hits the public airwaves, it's unlikely that there will be any winners.
- ProWein 2014 is now upon us. The annual exhibition kicked off in Dusseldorf yesterday and just-drinks is there. If you'd like us to come and say hello, email us today at firstname.lastname@example.org. Meanwhile, Bordeaux was the latest region to release its harvest figures for 2013, and they don't make for pretty reading.
- Finally, you brewers out there will enjoy this; the first in our two-part interview with Ken Grossman, the founder of the second largest independent brewer in the US, Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
The UK alcoholic drinks industry has delivered on an alcohol-unit reduction pledge two years early, according to a new report. ...
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced....
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read comment pieces by just-drinks' editor, Olly Wehring, ...
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future