Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 10 March 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Spring looks like it has arrived here in the UK, but it looks like it’s Spring all year round in Kentucky. The numbers for the nine months to the end of January for Louisville-based Brown-Forman, released on Wednesday, made for cheery reading: Profits up, sales up, full-year estimates raised. It’s no surprise, then, that analysts were in such good moods when they considered the near-term future for Jack Daniel’s, Woodford Reserve, Finlandia, Herradura et al.
- Another company in high spirits is Jackson Family Wines. Deputy editor James Wilmore spoke to the Californian wine company’s president, Rick Tigner, last week, and learned of JFW’s keenness to up its footprint going forward, with Italy set to be a target.
- In beer, regular commentator Larry Nelson turned his attention to BrewDog, a UK-based craft brewer that continues to earn headlines for its innovative - albeit occasionally controversial - approach to growth. What Larry has learned from the company should give all start-ups food-for-thought.
- In soft drinks, Coca-Cola Amatil welcomed its new MD last Monday, whileSodaStream toasted the latest addition to its portfolio of co-branding partners. Finally, could Jones Soda Co be poised - finally - for a return to better days, after seeing its FY net losses narrow last week?
Don’t forget, we’re running our daily preview of this month's ProWein exhibition in the run-up to the Dusseldorf show, which starts on 23 March. We'll provide a run-down of which companies will be attending and what they will be highlighting so, for your firm to appear in the ProWein daily diary, email details to email@example.com.
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Pernod Ricard, soft drinks NPD, the Champagne category and international beer brands....
Heavy metal legend Bruce Dickinson - lead singer of the band Iron Maiden, for the unitiated - is clearly a man not afraid to get his hands dirty. ...
The homebrewing revival continues in the UK - and evidence has come that even the supermarket chains are taking it semi-seriously. ...
Coca-Cola Andina has reported a double-digit lift in first-half sales, helped by the acquisition of Brazilian drinks firm Ipiranga, but has warned of slowing consumption levels in its four markets....
Does Pernod Ricard have something to hide? In a press conference after the release of full-year results today, only a quarter of the 100 minutes were given over to questions from journalists....
- Allegro: The shape of things to come at Pernod?
- The End of the Road for International Beer Brands?
- Pernod Ricard's Allegro cost-saving programme
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- US craft vodka puts squeeze on Pernod's Absolut
- Pernod bemoans tough FY as sales, profits drop
- Pernod Ricard set for CMO switch
- ASA bans Jägermeister TV ad
- Scotch whisky leaders sign pro-UK letter
- Wine Australia reports death of UK, Europe boss