Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 10 March 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Spring looks like it has arrived here in the UK, but it looks like it’s Spring all year round in Kentucky. The numbers for the nine months to the end of January for Louisville-based Brown-Forman, released on Wednesday, made for cheery reading: Profits up, sales up, full-year estimates raised. It’s no surprise, then, that analysts were in such good moods when they considered the near-term future for Jack Daniel’s, Woodford Reserve, Finlandia, Herradura et al.
- Another company in high spirits is Jackson Family Wines. Deputy editor James Wilmore spoke to the Californian wine company’s president, Rick Tigner, last week, and learned of JFW’s keenness to up its footprint going forward, with Italy set to be a target.
- In beer, regular commentator Larry Nelson turned his attention to BrewDog, a UK-based craft brewer that continues to earn headlines for its innovative - albeit occasionally controversial - approach to growth. What Larry has learned from the company should give all start-ups food-for-thought.
- In soft drinks, Coca-Cola Amatil welcomed its new MD last Monday, whileSodaStream toasted the latest addition to its portfolio of co-branding partners. Finally, could Jones Soda Co be poised - finally - for a return to better days, after seeing its FY net losses narrow last week?
Don’t forget, we’re running our daily preview of this month's ProWein exhibition in the run-up to the Dusseldorf show, which starts on 23 March. We'll provide a run-down of which companies will be attending and what they will be highlighting so, for your firm to appear in the ProWein daily diary, email details to email@example.com.
Whisk(e)y companies spend a lot of money and effort ageing their products for that premium taste....
PepsiCo created a stir last week with the news it is testing a product called Caleb's Kola, with some in the media claiming it was the beginning of a new “craft soda” category....
SABMiller's bid to widen the appeal of beer is very much in evidence at its latest 'House of Peroni' - with beer cocktails and a bigger bottle for the Italian lager brand on offer. ...
Here's a round-up of the big stories on just-drinks last week, featuring PepsiCo, SABMiller, the Scotch whisky category and the US wine market....
- Analysis - Remy's Cognac "dead-cat bounce"
- Comment - How Hand-Made is Tito's Handmade Vodka?
- Heineken to stay "active player" in beer M&A - CFO
- Diageo's future brighter than present suggests
- Diageo's Q1 Results by Region
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- United Spirits sees Q1 net loss
- Beam Suntory, Edrington part ways in Travel Retail
- Diageo puts Beckham centre stage in Haig Club ad
- TWE unveils Penfolds range after CEO's "bold move"