Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 3 March 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Anheuser-Busch InBev released its full-year results on Wednesday. While the top-line figures show no major cause for concern (sales up by 3%, profits up by 10%), dipping volumes in 2013 were described by the brewer as "below expectations". Wall Street appeared less worried, however: Could A-B InBev soon be crowned 'The King of Drinks'? For a full round-up of our coverage of the numbers, click here.
- PepsiCo must be getting tired of having to repeat itself, after its latest rejection of Trian Partners' call for the US company to split its operations on Friday. It is clear that its findings of a strategic review, unveiled earlier in the month, have not placated the fund manager. So, what will?
- We heard an interesting take on the future for white spirits from an executive at William Grant & Sons last week. Is there such a thing as loyalty at the premium end of the sub-category? Meanwhile, in Scotland, a brace of companies voiced their concerns should the pending independence vote find in favour of the move. The silence from the Scotch whisky industry on the matter, I feel, has been deafening.
- Some more figures showed a healthy state of affairs for the wine industry last week: California is celebrating a record year for exports in 2013. With Chile reporting similarly upbeat numbers in mid-February, is the wine category shaping up for an upbeat 2014?
We start our daily preview of this month's ProWein exhibition today. Leading up to the event, which opens in Dusseldorf on 23 March, we'll provide a run-down of which companies will be attending and what they will be highlighting. For your firm to appear in the ProWein daily diary, email details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Analysis - Will Diageo call time on wine?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- Comment - Will the Sweetener Battle turn Sour?
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Coca-Cola Co promotes North America chief
- Bacardi widens Craigellachie footprint to Asia
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets