Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 3 March 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Anheuser-Busch InBev released its full-year results on Wednesday. While the top-line figures show no major cause for concern (sales up by 3%, profits up by 10%), dipping volumes in 2013 were described by the brewer as "below expectations". Wall Street appeared less worried, however: Could A-B InBev soon be crowned 'The King of Drinks'? For a full round-up of our coverage of the numbers, click here.
- PepsiCo must be getting tired of having to repeat itself, after its latest rejection of Trian Partners' call for the US company to split its operations on Friday. It is clear that its findings of a strategic review, unveiled earlier in the month, have not placated the fund manager. So, what will?
- We heard an interesting take on the future for white spirits from an executive at William Grant & Sons last week. Is there such a thing as loyalty at the premium end of the sub-category? Meanwhile, in Scotland, a brace of companies voiced their concerns should the pending independence vote find in favour of the move. The silence from the Scotch whisky industry on the matter, I feel, has been deafening.
- Some more figures showed a healthy state of affairs for the wine industry last week: California is celebrating a record year for exports in 2013. With Chile reporting similarly upbeat numbers in mid-February, is the wine category shaping up for an upbeat 2014?
We start our daily preview of this month's ProWein exhibition today. Leading up to the event, which opens in Dusseldorf on 23 March, we'll provide a run-down of which companies will be attending and what they will be highlighting. For your firm to appear in the ProWein daily diary, email details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Earlier today, Diageo reported a lift in full-year net profits on flat sales and dipping volumes. Here just-drinks takes a look at the figures for each of the group's regions:...
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
Today, Anheuser-Busch InBev reported a slight lift in half-year profits on disappointing sales and volumes. Here, just-drinks takes a look at the brewer's performance in its global markets:...
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research