Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 24 February 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- When Treasury Wine Estates announced the appointment of a new CEO on Wednesday, the firm may have been forgiven for beginning to look forward to a brighter future. You can always rely on the analyst community to bring you back to the harsh realities of the present, though. Reaction to the pending arrival of Michael Clarke was pretty fierce but, as Andy Morton suggested, could this anger actually be for something other than Clarke's lack of alcoholic drinks experience?
- In beer, Carlsberg released a tough set of full-year figures for 2013that, as expected, flagged ongoing troubles in Russia. For a full round-up of our coverage of the company's numbers, click here. Also, for all you brewing folk, head over here for the first in our exclusive, two-part interview with the sales president of MillerCoors, Ed McBrien.
- The Coca-Cola Co also posted some grim numbers last week, prompting several analysts to query the current positioning of the company's goalposts and for me to introduce the wider world to the beautiful phrase that is "share of throat". PepsiCo, meanwhile,found itself having to deal with Nelson Peltz yet again. So much for the company's announcement that it would not be going down Peltz's preferred route of splitting its snacks and drinks divisions.
- The CEO of Pernod Ricard came to town last week to discuss his firm's half-year numbers. While in London, Pringuet sounded a positive note for Martell Cognac, despite the brand's reliance on the troubled Chinese market, and distanced himself from any move for Whyte & Mackay. I, meanwhile, had a right old whinge.
Finally, the wine world will be gearing up for ProWein, which takes place in Dusseldorf next month. In the run-up to the show, we shall be running a daily diary piece, previewing who's doing what at the exhibition. To be included in our pre-show coverage, please send all information firstname.lastname@example.org.
Heineken is looking to premiumise the global cider category by incorporating cider production within its existing breweries....
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- New whisky distillery set for Edinburgh
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- US drives Cognac export turnaround - figures
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research