Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 10 February 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Anheuser-Busch InBev went shopping in the US craft beer aisle, with the purchase of Long Island-based Blue Point Brewing Co. Could the move, which follows the acquisition of Goose Island in 2011, mark the start of a more-concerted push by the global brewer into the burgeoning segment?
- Following the release of data late last month showing that China is now the market leader for red wine consumption, regular commentator Chris Losh took a closer look at the country and found that the Chinese pessimism infecting international spirits producers should not stretch to wine.
- Diageo has gone toe-to-toe with Bacardi in the US, with the launch of Captain Morgan White Rum. Can we expect Bacardi to get its chequebook out as a result? Staying in the US, Beam Inc released its full-year results on Wednesday, and toasted a surprisingly strong final quarter of the year. Here's a breakdown of the company's performance by region and by brand.
- The Coca-Cola Co lined up what it claims is a game-changing move by buying into Green Mountain Coffee Roasters last week. The deal gives Coca-Cola the right to use its branded beverages in Green Mountain's Keurig Cold at-home beverage system, a situation thatmarket-leader SodaStream welcomed as validation of its business model. Will they be saying the same thing in five year's time?
A quick flag of a new report in the just-drinks research store. Click here for more details on our 'vodka flavours review', which looks at the rise of the flavoured vodka sub-category, and considers what the future holds for this until-recently booming segment.
This month, just-drinks' beer commentator, Stephen Beaumont, uses his regular column to look at the fruit-flavoured beer segment, and spies a red flag....
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
The Union des Vignerons des Côtes du Rhône has readied the launch of the first sparkling expression of its Les Dauphins wine brand....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends