Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 10 February 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Anheuser-Busch InBev went shopping in the US craft beer aisle, with the purchase of Long Island-based Blue Point Brewing Co. Could the move, which follows the acquisition of Goose Island in 2011, mark the start of a more-concerted push by the global brewer into the burgeoning segment?
- Following the release of data late last month showing that China is now the market leader for red wine consumption, regular commentator Chris Losh took a closer look at the country and found that the Chinese pessimism infecting international spirits producers should not stretch to wine.
- Diageo has gone toe-to-toe with Bacardi in the US, with the launch of Captain Morgan White Rum. Can we expect Bacardi to get its chequebook out as a result? Staying in the US, Beam Inc released its full-year results on Wednesday, and toasted a surprisingly strong final quarter of the year. Here's a breakdown of the company's performance by region and by brand.
- The Coca-Cola Co lined up what it claims is a game-changing move by buying into Green Mountain Coffee Roasters last week. The deal gives Coca-Cola the right to use its branded beverages in Green Mountain's Keurig Cold at-home beverage system, a situation thatmarket-leader SodaStream welcomed as validation of its business model. Will they be saying the same thing in five year's time?
A quick flag of a new report in the just-drinks research store. Click here for more details on our 'vodka flavours review', which looks at the rise of the flavoured vodka sub-category, and considers what the future holds for this until-recently booming segment.
June last year, and Adolfo Hurtado, the gregarious chief winemaker & general manager for Concha y Toro's Cono Sur, is in a sunny mood as he goes about his day at the Chilean winery....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Pernod Ricard has introduced a new Absolut vodka flavour to the US market. ...
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends