Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 10 February 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Anheuser-Busch InBev went shopping in the US craft beer aisle, with the purchase of Long Island-based Blue Point Brewing Co. Could the move, which follows the acquisition of Goose Island in 2011, mark the start of a more-concerted push by the global brewer into the burgeoning segment?
- Following the release of data late last month showing that China is now the market leader for red wine consumption, regular commentator Chris Losh took a closer look at the country and found that the Chinese pessimism infecting international spirits producers should not stretch to wine.
- Diageo has gone toe-to-toe with Bacardi in the US, with the launch of Captain Morgan White Rum. Can we expect Bacardi to get its chequebook out as a result? Staying in the US, Beam Inc released its full-year results on Wednesday, and toasted a surprisingly strong final quarter of the year. Here's a breakdown of the company's performance by region and by brand.
- The Coca-Cola Co lined up what it claims is a game-changing move by buying into Green Mountain Coffee Roasters last week. The deal gives Coca-Cola the right to use its branded beverages in Green Mountain's Keurig Cold at-home beverage system, a situation thatmarket-leader SodaStream welcomed as validation of its business model. Will they be saying the same thing in five year's time?
A quick flag of a new report in the just-drinks research store. Click here for more details on our 'vodka flavours review', which looks at the rise of the flavoured vodka sub-category, and considers what the future holds for this until-recently booming segment.
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report