Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 10 February 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Anheuser-Busch InBev went shopping in the US craft beer aisle, with the purchase of Long Island-based Blue Point Brewing Co. Could the move, which follows the acquisition of Goose Island in 2011, mark the start of a more-concerted push by the global brewer into the burgeoning segment?
- Following the release of data late last month showing that China is now the market leader for red wine consumption, regular commentator Chris Losh took a closer look at the country and found that the Chinese pessimism infecting international spirits producers should not stretch to wine.
- Diageo has gone toe-to-toe with Bacardi in the US, with the launch of Captain Morgan White Rum. Can we expect Bacardi to get its chequebook out as a result? Staying in the US, Beam Inc released its full-year results on Wednesday, and toasted a surprisingly strong final quarter of the year. Here's a breakdown of the company's performance by region and by brand.
- The Coca-Cola Co lined up what it claims is a game-changing move by buying into Green Mountain Coffee Roasters last week. The deal gives Coca-Cola the right to use its branded beverages in Green Mountain's Keurig Cold at-home beverage system, a situation thatmarket-leader SodaStream welcomed as validation of its business model. Will they be saying the same thing in five year's time?
A quick flag of a new report in the just-drinks research store. Click here for more details on our 'vodka flavours review', which looks at the rise of the flavoured vodka sub-category, and considers what the future holds for this until-recently booming segment.
Whisk(e)y companies spend a lot of money and effort ageing their products for that premium taste....
PepsiCo created a stir last week with the news it is testing a product called Caleb's Kola, with some in the media claiming it was the beginning of a new “craft soda” category....
SABMiller's bid to widen the appeal of beer is very much in evidence at its latest 'House of Peroni' - with beer cocktails and a bigger bottle for the Italian lager brand on offer. ...
Here, courtesy of Nielsen, is a list of the top ten wine brands in the UK off-trade for the year to 11 October....
Here's a round-up of the big stories on just-drinks last week, featuring PepsiCo, SABMiller, the Scotch whisky category and the US wine market....
- Analysis - Remy's Cognac "dead-cat bounce"
- Comment - How Hand-Made is Tito's Handmade Vodka?
- Heineken to stay "active player" in beer M&A - CFO
- Focus - Pernod Ricard's Q1 sales by brand
- Time for Heineken to make a European break
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- United Spirits sees Q1 net loss
- Beam Suntory, Edrington part ways in Travel Retail
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Pernod Ricard sees sales lift in Q1