Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 10 February 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Anheuser-Busch InBev went shopping in the US craft beer aisle, with the purchase of Long Island-based Blue Point Brewing Co. Could the move, which follows the acquisition of Goose Island in 2011, mark the start of a more-concerted push by the global brewer into the burgeoning segment?
- Following the release of data late last month showing that China is now the market leader for red wine consumption, regular commentator Chris Losh took a closer look at the country and found that the Chinese pessimism infecting international spirits producers should not stretch to wine.
- Diageo has gone toe-to-toe with Bacardi in the US, with the launch of Captain Morgan White Rum. Can we expect Bacardi to get its chequebook out as a result? Staying in the US, Beam Inc released its full-year results on Wednesday, and toasted a surprisingly strong final quarter of the year. Here's a breakdown of the company's performance by region and by brand.
- The Coca-Cola Co lined up what it claims is a game-changing move by buying into Green Mountain Coffee Roasters last week. The deal gives Coca-Cola the right to use its branded beverages in Green Mountain's Keurig Cold at-home beverage system, a situation thatmarket-leader SodaStream welcomed as validation of its business model. Will they be saying the same thing in five year's time?
A quick flag of a new report in the just-drinks research store. Click here for more details on our 'vodka flavours review', which looks at the rise of the flavoured vodka sub-category, and considers what the future holds for this until-recently booming segment.
Brazil still offers a tremendous amount of opportunity, according to Anheuser-Busch InBev's CEO Carlos Brito. ...
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research