Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 3 February 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- We started to see the number of headaches affecting our industry start to get out of hand: The latest company to develop a migraine was Treasury Wine Estates. Much as Treasury has flagged its problems of late in the US and in China, things got an awful lot worse last week, when a suspension of trading on Tuesday was followed by a profits warning the next day. Sure enough, shareholders were not impressed. Can Treasury’s tough times get any tougher?
- In spirits - and beer, and wine - Diageo hogged the headlines, first with the purchase of a further addition to its Tequila portfolio and then, on Thursday, with the release of a soft set of half-year numbers. Much as the analyst community found nothing in the numbers to cause too much longer-term concern, the company’s announcement of a savings programme for the years ahead may cause sleepless nights for some of its employees in the coming weeks.
- SodaStream continued to milk its self-positioned ‘plucky upstart’ status ahead of yesterday’s SuperBowl with the release of an ad that - once again - was blackballed by the event’s broadcasters. Hats off to the company for securing the services of someone as high profile as Scarlett Johansson as a global brand ambassador, but how much longer does it intend to push its wares by poking its rivals?
- The brewing industry said its final farewell last week to Graham Mackay, theformer CEO of SABMiller who passed away late last year. Ahead of a memorial service in London on Friday, which was attended by the CEOs of both Carlsberg and Heineken, our beer commentator, Larry Nelson, looked back at the career of a major shaper of today’s brewing landscape.
Finally, we invite you, dear just-drinks subscriber, to peruse this month’s management briefing, which sees Euromonitor consider what 2014 has in store for the global drinks industry. And, if you’re not yet a subscriber to just-drinks, head over here to rectify that, post-haste.
Yesterday was long. Very, very long. What started with an alarm in London at 0530 GMT ended with a Bacardi eight-year-old nightcap in Puerto Rico at 0730 GMT the following morning....
This weekend, Bacardi is hosting a three-day music event on the private island of Palomino just off the coast of Puerto Rico....
Warmest thanks to all of you who filled in our annual readers' survey this month. The results are very important for us to learn from and look to improve our service to you....
Today's news that German spirits firm Mast-Jägermeister has joined UK responsible drinking organisation The Portman Group may raise eyebrows in some quarters....
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Comment - Has Scotch Whisky Jumped the Shark?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- Beam Suntory to roll out "Scotch-infused" Bourbon
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Wine in the United Kingdom
- Spirit Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts