Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 3 February 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- We started to see the number of headaches affecting our industry start to get out of hand: The latest company to develop a migraine was Treasury Wine Estates. Much as Treasury has flagged its problems of late in the US and in China, things got an awful lot worse last week, when a suspension of trading on Tuesday was followed by a profits warning the next day. Sure enough, shareholders were not impressed. Can Treasury’s tough times get any tougher?
- In spirits - and beer, and wine - Diageo hogged the headlines, first with the purchase of a further addition to its Tequila portfolio and then, on Thursday, with the release of a soft set of half-year numbers. Much as the analyst community found nothing in the numbers to cause too much longer-term concern, the company’s announcement of a savings programme for the years ahead may cause sleepless nights for some of its employees in the coming weeks.
- SodaStream continued to milk its self-positioned ‘plucky upstart’ status ahead of yesterday’s SuperBowl with the release of an ad that - once again - was blackballed by the event’s broadcasters. Hats off to the company for securing the services of someone as high profile as Scarlett Johansson as a global brand ambassador, but how much longer does it intend to push its wares by poking its rivals?
- The brewing industry said its final farewell last week to Graham Mackay, theformer CEO of SABMiller who passed away late last year. Ahead of a memorial service in London on Friday, which was attended by the CEOs of both Carlsberg and Heineken, our beer commentator, Larry Nelson, looked back at the career of a major shaper of today’s brewing landscape.
Finally, we invite you, dear just-drinks subscriber, to peruse this month’s management briefing, which sees Euromonitor consider what 2014 has in store for the global drinks industry. And, if you’re not yet a subscriber to just-drinks, head over here to rectify that, post-haste.
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
This week, we speak to the CEO of Zodiac Spirits, and just-drinks subscriber, Dan Liguori....
Frank Sinatra liked a drink. He was famous for it. ...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- Are Big Spirits Companies Failing to Innovate?
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- just the Winners - IWSC Spirits Trophy Winners
- Suntory sells Louis Royer Cognac for US$110m
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research