Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 3 February 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- We started to see the number of headaches affecting our industry start to get out of hand: The latest company to develop a migraine was Treasury Wine Estates. Much as Treasury has flagged its problems of late in the US and in China, things got an awful lot worse last week, when a suspension of trading on Tuesday was followed by a profits warning the next day. Sure enough, shareholders were not impressed. Can Treasury’s tough times get any tougher?
- In spirits - and beer, and wine - Diageo hogged the headlines, first with the purchase of a further addition to its Tequila portfolio and then, on Thursday, with the release of a soft set of half-year numbers. Much as the analyst community found nothing in the numbers to cause too much longer-term concern, the company’s announcement of a savings programme for the years ahead may cause sleepless nights for some of its employees in the coming weeks.
- SodaStream continued to milk its self-positioned ‘plucky upstart’ status ahead of yesterday’s SuperBowl with the release of an ad that - once again - was blackballed by the event’s broadcasters. Hats off to the company for securing the services of someone as high profile as Scarlett Johansson as a global brand ambassador, but how much longer does it intend to push its wares by poking its rivals?
- The brewing industry said its final farewell last week to Graham Mackay, theformer CEO of SABMiller who passed away late last year. Ahead of a memorial service in London on Friday, which was attended by the CEOs of both Carlsberg and Heineken, our beer commentator, Larry Nelson, looked back at the career of a major shaper of today’s brewing landscape.
Finally, we invite you, dear just-drinks subscriber, to peruse this month’s management briefing, which sees Euromonitor consider what 2014 has in store for the global drinks industry. And, if you’re not yet a subscriber to just-drinks, head over here to rectify that, post-haste.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- India overtakes France for Pernod Ricard
- New whisky distillery set for Edinburgh
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Corby's FY suffers from US focus
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review