Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 3 February 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- We started to see the number of headaches affecting our industry start to get out of hand: The latest company to develop a migraine was Treasury Wine Estates. Much as Treasury has flagged its problems of late in the US and in China, things got an awful lot worse last week, when a suspension of trading on Tuesday was followed by a profits warning the next day. Sure enough, shareholders were not impressed. Can Treasury’s tough times get any tougher?
- In spirits - and beer, and wine - Diageo hogged the headlines, first with the purchase of a further addition to its Tequila portfolio and then, on Thursday, with the release of a soft set of half-year numbers. Much as the analyst community found nothing in the numbers to cause too much longer-term concern, the company’s announcement of a savings programme for the years ahead may cause sleepless nights for some of its employees in the coming weeks.
- SodaStream continued to milk its self-positioned ‘plucky upstart’ status ahead of yesterday’s SuperBowl with the release of an ad that - once again - was blackballed by the event’s broadcasters. Hats off to the company for securing the services of someone as high profile as Scarlett Johansson as a global brand ambassador, but how much longer does it intend to push its wares by poking its rivals?
- The brewing industry said its final farewell last week to Graham Mackay, theformer CEO of SABMiller who passed away late last year. Ahead of a memorial service in London on Friday, which was attended by the CEOs of both Carlsberg and Heineken, our beer commentator, Larry Nelson, looked back at the career of a major shaper of today’s brewing landscape.
Finally, we invite you, dear just-drinks subscriber, to peruse this month’s management briefing, which sees Euromonitor consider what 2014 has in store for the global drinks industry. And, if you’re not yet a subscriber to just-drinks, head over here to rectify that, post-haste.
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends