Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 27 January 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- We started with a bang on Monday morning, when Anheuser-Busch InBev said it had agreed to buy back Oriental Brewery in South Korea, almost five years after it sold the company to private equity group Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. At first sight, this looks like a strange purchase: sell for US$1.8bn and buy back for $5.8bn? At the very least, however, the move shows how far A-B InBev has come since 2008.
- Things appeared to be going from bad to worse for Remy Cointreau: No sooner had the company's CEO handed in his resignation earlier this month than the head of the group's Remy Martin Cognac division called time on his tenure. The surprise announcement may not have been that much of a surprise to the company, however, who confirmed the appointment of a replacement at Remy Martin earlier this morning.
- In soft drinks, it would appear that any carve-up of PepsiCo is now off the table. Nelson Peltz, the shareholder that had been pushing for a split of PepsiCo's food and beverage businesses, said last week that he would "rescue" himself from discussions over the company. While this may mark the end of the matter as far as PepsiCo's board are concerned, will shareholders be able to shake the worm from their ear?
- In wine, the latest figures out of Australia make for pretty bleak reading, with sales of the country's wines in both value and volume terms stuttering in 2013. Oh well, at least it gave the adjective "challenging" the chance to grab some air.
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
Last month, SPI Group unveiled its latest advert for Stolichnaya in the US. Its an amusing little number that caries the instruction: Drink what you want. The “I am man” ad looks to distance Millennia...
Who do you work for? I ask, merely to draw your attention to just-drinks’ company pages....
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- SABMiller's Q1 sales performance by region - Focus
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Scotch drop hits Edrington as FY profits fall
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends