Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 27 January 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- We started with a bang on Monday morning, when Anheuser-Busch InBev said it had agreed to buy back Oriental Brewery in South Korea, almost five years after it sold the company to private equity group Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. At first sight, this looks like a strange purchase: sell for US$1.8bn and buy back for $5.8bn? At the very least, however, the move shows how far A-B InBev has come since 2008.
- Things appeared to be going from bad to worse for Remy Cointreau: No sooner had the company's CEO handed in his resignation earlier this month than the head of the group's Remy Martin Cognac division called time on his tenure. The surprise announcement may not have been that much of a surprise to the company, however, who confirmed the appointment of a replacement at Remy Martin earlier this morning.
- In soft drinks, it would appear that any carve-up of PepsiCo is now off the table. Nelson Peltz, the shareholder that had been pushing for a split of PepsiCo's food and beverage businesses, said last week that he would "rescue" himself from discussions over the company. While this may mark the end of the matter as far as PepsiCo's board are concerned, will shareholders be able to shake the worm from their ear?
- In wine, the latest figures out of Australia make for pretty bleak reading, with sales of the country's wines in both value and volume terms stuttering in 2013. Oh well, at least it gave the adjective "challenging" the chance to grab some air.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends