Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 27 January 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- We started with a bang on Monday morning, when Anheuser-Busch InBev said it had agreed to buy back Oriental Brewery in South Korea, almost five years after it sold the company to private equity group Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. At first sight, this looks like a strange purchase: sell for US$1.8bn and buy back for $5.8bn? At the very least, however, the move shows how far A-B InBev has come since 2008.
- Things appeared to be going from bad to worse for Remy Cointreau: No sooner had the company's CEO handed in his resignation earlier this month than the head of the group's Remy Martin Cognac division called time on his tenure. The surprise announcement may not have been that much of a surprise to the company, however, who confirmed the appointment of a replacement at Remy Martin earlier this morning.
- In soft drinks, it would appear that any carve-up of PepsiCo is now off the table. Nelson Peltz, the shareholder that had been pushing for a split of PepsiCo's food and beverage businesses, said last week that he would "rescue" himself from discussions over the company. While this may mark the end of the matter as far as PepsiCo's board are concerned, will shareholders be able to shake the worm from their ear?
- In wine, the latest figures out of Australia make for pretty bleak reading, with sales of the country's wines in both value and volume terms stuttering in 2013. Oh well, at least it gave the adjective "challenging" the chance to grab some air.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Diageo is poised to release a new, Scotch whisky-based product in Latin America in the coming months, possibly as an extension of the Johnnie Walker brand....
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Craft more about stories than M&A for Diageo
- Diageo readies "not quite as sincere" Scotch
- The Glenlivet leapfrogs Glenfiddich
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review