Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 27 January 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- We started with a bang on Monday morning, when Anheuser-Busch InBev said it had agreed to buy back Oriental Brewery in South Korea, almost five years after it sold the company to private equity group Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. At first sight, this looks like a strange purchase: sell for US$1.8bn and buy back for $5.8bn? At the very least, however, the move shows how far A-B InBev has come since 2008.
- Things appeared to be going from bad to worse for Remy Cointreau: No sooner had the company's CEO handed in his resignation earlier this month than the head of the group's Remy Martin Cognac division called time on his tenure. The surprise announcement may not have been that much of a surprise to the company, however, who confirmed the appointment of a replacement at Remy Martin earlier this morning.
- In soft drinks, it would appear that any carve-up of PepsiCo is now off the table. Nelson Peltz, the shareholder that had been pushing for a split of PepsiCo's food and beverage businesses, said last week that he would "rescue" himself from discussions over the company. While this may mark the end of the matter as far as PepsiCo's board are concerned, will shareholders be able to shake the worm from their ear?
- In wine, the latest figures out of Australia make for pretty bleak reading, with sales of the country's wines in both value and volume terms stuttering in 2013. Oh well, at least it gave the adjective "challenging" the chance to grab some air.
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- Global Tequila market hits new highs in 2014
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets