Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
James Wilmore | 13 January 2014
Diageo has been quick out of the blocks this year with the acquisition of high-end Tequila brand DeLeon, in partnership with Sean 'Diddy' Combs. My colleague Olly Wehring noted, however, that the brand is unlikely to be a replacement for Jose Cuervo.
Beam was also on the acquisition trail in the same category, taking co-ownership of 901 Tequila with musician and actor Justin Timberlake.
In beer, Anheuser-Busch InBev confirmed it was saying goodbye to its chief marketing officer in the US. Constellation Brands, meanwhile, continues to benefit from its deal with A-B InBev which saw it take full control of Modelo’s US beer business, Crown Imports.
In wine, a new just-drinks report looked at the challenge the European wine sector will eventually face from China in international markets, as the country’s production levels outweigh domestic consumption.
And CSD producers appear to be in for another bumpy ride this year from anti-obesity campaigners. A new UK-based group - ‘Action on Sugar’ - has been launched aimed at getting companies to cut the amount of sugar in their products by up to 30%.
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
just-drinks presents this seven-part review of the Scotch whisky category. In part two, we consider the sector's performance on a by-market basis....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
just-drinks presents this seven-part review of the Scotch whisky category. In part three, we look at what the future trends will be for the sector....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
just-drinks presents this seven-part review of the Scotch whisky category. In part four, we turn our attention to the major Scotch brands....
Jim Cramer, the excitable host of stock-picker programme Mad Money on CNBC, turned his attention on US brewers last week, attempting to forecast which has the most potential for investors....
- Boom time for soft drinks in West Europe?
- Protein interest offers drinks opportunities - NPD
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Patron's lesson for the broader spirits sector
- Alcohol and the risk of breast cancer - ISFAR
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Rum "yet to maximise" GTR potential - Bacardi
- Diageo names Javier Ferran as new chairman
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Keurig Green Mountain in Hot Drinks (World)
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends