Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
James Wilmore | 13 January 2014
Diageo has been quick out of the blocks this year with the acquisition of high-end Tequila brand DeLeon, in partnership with Sean 'Diddy' Combs. My colleague Olly Wehring noted, however, that the brand is unlikely to be a replacement for Jose Cuervo.
Beam was also on the acquisition trail in the same category, taking co-ownership of 901 Tequila with musician and actor Justin Timberlake.
In beer, Anheuser-Busch InBev confirmed it was saying goodbye to its chief marketing officer in the US. Constellation Brands, meanwhile, continues to benefit from its deal with A-B InBev which saw it take full control of Modelo’s US beer business, Crown Imports.
In wine, a new just-drinks report looked at the challenge the European wine sector will eventually face from China in international markets, as the country’s production levels outweigh domestic consumption.
And CSD producers appear to be in for another bumpy ride this year from anti-obesity campaigners. A new UK-based group - ‘Action on Sugar’ - has been launched aimed at getting companies to cut the amount of sugar in their products by up to 30%.
Philip Gregan, the CEO of trade organisation New Zealand Winegrowers was in London this week for the country's annual UK trade tasting. He sat down with just-drinks to talk Brexit, Trump and the futur...
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- US craft beer growth slows again - IRI figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits