Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 9 December 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- On Wednesday, I spoke at the International Sparkling Wine Symposium, held here in the UK. My presentation, entitled 'Breaking into Different International Markets', utilised a report from Canadean to highlight the potential for sparkling wine in the BRIC markets. To coincide with the two-day conference, we've partnered with Canadean to offer 20% off all the company's reports in the just-drinks research store.It's a pretty exhaustive list, so if you're after anything specific, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your requirements. But, hurry: this offer only runs until the close of trade on Friday 20 December.
- Elsewhere in the wine world, we learnt that the Japanese extension of the Vinexpo trade fair is all set to go ahead next year, despite earlier fears that the future of Vinexpo Nippon hung in the balance.
- Heineken's top brass headed to Mexico last week for the brewer's two-day investor conference. Presenting to analysts on Thursday, CEO Jean-Francois van Boxmeer said the company will maintain its focus on the younger drinkers in Europe in the years to come. Also at the event, Heineken offered a glimpse at how its Mexican footprint has developed since it bought FEMSA Cerveza three years ago.
- Brown-Forman was the last of the big drinks firms to post its latest set of results on Wednesday, but the numbers were worth the wait: With both sales and profits rising in the half-year (here's a full round-up of our coverage), the US firm was toasting the performances from its American whiskey brands. But, asked Andy Morton, what has happened to Southern Comfort this year?
- Finally, in soft drinks, the UK was where it was all happening. First up, AG Barr released a trading statement for the 18 weeks to 1 December, and then supermarket chain Morrisons confirmed it will consider rolling out its trial ban on energy drinks sales to under-16s nation-wide.
You can't seem to move at the moment for news of US craft brewers expanding....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Coca-Cola Life, Australian Vintage, Pernod Ricard and BrewDog....
Beer consumption in Germany - already pretty impressive - will undoubtedly have enjoyed a spike following celebrations over the nation's FIFA World Cup win. ...
Last night, The Coca-Cola Co's UK division celebrated moving in to its stylish new central London headquarters with a barbecue on its roof-top terrace....
- A tobacco analogy soft drinks will want to embrace
- Pernod's Portman Group penalty - a coincidence?
- just The Preview - SABMiller's Q1
- just Five Years Ago: A-B InBev sells Oriental
- Cleaning China's seedier side brings Remy balance
- Diageo faces public consultation over W&M sale
- Diageo's Captain Morgan Facebook ad banned
- William Grant silent on Drambuie bid talk
- Bacardi to fight US football team legal action
- Remy posts Q1 sales drop as Edrington loss bites