Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 9 December 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- On Wednesday, I spoke at the International Sparkling Wine Symposium, held here in the UK. My presentation, entitled 'Breaking into Different International Markets', utilised a report from Canadean to highlight the potential for sparkling wine in the BRIC markets. To coincide with the two-day conference, we've partnered with Canadean to offer 20% off all the company's reports in the just-drinks research store.It's a pretty exhaustive list, so if you're after anything specific, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your requirements. But, hurry: this offer only runs until the close of trade on Friday 20 December.
- Elsewhere in the wine world, we learnt that the Japanese extension of the Vinexpo trade fair is all set to go ahead next year, despite earlier fears that the future of Vinexpo Nippon hung in the balance.
- Heineken's top brass headed to Mexico last week for the brewer's two-day investor conference. Presenting to analysts on Thursday, CEO Jean-Francois van Boxmeer said the company will maintain its focus on the younger drinkers in Europe in the years to come. Also at the event, Heineken offered a glimpse at how its Mexican footprint has developed since it bought FEMSA Cerveza three years ago.
- Brown-Forman was the last of the big drinks firms to post its latest set of results on Wednesday, but the numbers were worth the wait: With both sales and profits rising in the half-year (here's a full round-up of our coverage), the US firm was toasting the performances from its American whiskey brands. But, asked Andy Morton, what has happened to Southern Comfort this year?
- Finally, in soft drinks, the UK was where it was all happening. First up, AG Barr released a trading statement for the 18 weeks to 1 December, and then supermarket chain Morrisons confirmed it will consider rolling out its trial ban on energy drinks sales to under-16s nation-wide.
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
It was a bruising first results announcement for management at the newly-formed Coca-Cola European Partners....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker set for festive push in TR
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends