Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 9 December 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- On Wednesday, I spoke at the International Sparkling Wine Symposium, held here in the UK. My presentation, entitled 'Breaking into Different International Markets', utilised a report from Canadean to highlight the potential for sparkling wine in the BRIC markets. To coincide with the two-day conference, we've partnered with Canadean to offer 20% off all the company's reports in the just-drinks research store.It's a pretty exhaustive list, so if you're after anything specific, email email@example.com with your requirements. But, hurry: this offer only runs until the close of trade on Friday 20 December.
- Elsewhere in the wine world, we learnt that the Japanese extension of the Vinexpo trade fair is all set to go ahead next year, despite earlier fears that the future of Vinexpo Nippon hung in the balance.
- Heineken's top brass headed to Mexico last week for the brewer's two-day investor conference. Presenting to analysts on Thursday, CEO Jean-Francois van Boxmeer said the company will maintain its focus on the younger drinkers in Europe in the years to come. Also at the event, Heineken offered a glimpse at how its Mexican footprint has developed since it bought FEMSA Cerveza three years ago.
- Brown-Forman was the last of the big drinks firms to post its latest set of results on Wednesday, but the numbers were worth the wait: With both sales and profits rising in the half-year (here's a full round-up of our coverage), the US firm was toasting the performances from its American whiskey brands. But, asked Andy Morton, what has happened to Southern Comfort this year?
- Finally, in soft drinks, the UK was where it was all happening. First up, AG Barr released a trading statement for the 18 weeks to 1 December, and then supermarket chain Morrisons confirmed it will consider rolling out its trial ban on energy drinks sales to under-16s nation-wide.
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring PepsiCo and Coca-Cola Co, Castel, Molson Coors and the cachaca sector....
There was a big focus on supermarkets and their Scotch offerings this week when a couple of own-brand malts scooped top awards at the International Wines and Spirits Competition (IWSC)....
This month, Larry Nelson considers the importance of a reliable brand name for your beer. Anyone fancy a Mr Winky?...
You can't seem to move at the moment for news of US craft brewers expanding....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Coca-Cola Life, Australian Vintage, Pernod Ricard and BrewDog....
- just The Preview - Diageo's FY preliminaries
- Analysis - SABMiller's Australian issues continue
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's H1 & Q2
- Focus - SABMiller's Q1 Performance by Region
- NPD: Alcohol Beverage “Mash-Ups” Fuel Innovation
- Diageo silent over Shuijingfang writedown report
- Sales, profits fall at Moet Hennessy in H1
- Britvic promotes GB marketing head to global post
- Molson Coors CEO to retire
- Diageo's Captain Morgan Facebook ad banned