Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 9 December 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- On Wednesday, I spoke at the International Sparkling Wine Symposium, held here in the UK. My presentation, entitled 'Breaking into Different International Markets', utilised a report from Canadean to highlight the potential for sparkling wine in the BRIC markets. To coincide with the two-day conference, we've partnered with Canadean to offer 20% off all the company's reports in the just-drinks research store.It's a pretty exhaustive list, so if you're after anything specific, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your requirements. But, hurry: this offer only runs until the close of trade on Friday 20 December.
- Elsewhere in the wine world, we learnt that the Japanese extension of the Vinexpo trade fair is all set to go ahead next year, despite earlier fears that the future of Vinexpo Nippon hung in the balance.
- Heineken's top brass headed to Mexico last week for the brewer's two-day investor conference. Presenting to analysts on Thursday, CEO Jean-Francois van Boxmeer said the company will maintain its focus on the younger drinkers in Europe in the years to come. Also at the event, Heineken offered a glimpse at how its Mexican footprint has developed since it bought FEMSA Cerveza three years ago.
- Brown-Forman was the last of the big drinks firms to post its latest set of results on Wednesday, but the numbers were worth the wait: With both sales and profits rising in the half-year (here's a full round-up of our coverage), the US firm was toasting the performances from its American whiskey brands. But, asked Andy Morton, what has happened to Southern Comfort this year?
- Finally, in soft drinks, the UK was where it was all happening. First up, AG Barr released a trading statement for the 18 weeks to 1 December, and then supermarket chain Morrisons confirmed it will consider rolling out its trial ban on energy drinks sales to under-16s nation-wide.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
The Coca-Cola Co's UK juice unit, Innocent Drinks, has launched a new range of functional juices with vitamins....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Heineken's new range foreshadows craft's future
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Gruppo Campari Q4 & FY 2016 results - Preview
- Will fat-blocking products save the day for CSDs?
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Heineken hit by Greek compensation claim
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends