Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 9 December 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- On Wednesday, I spoke at the International Sparkling Wine Symposium, held here in the UK. My presentation, entitled 'Breaking into Different International Markets', utilised a report from Canadean to highlight the potential for sparkling wine in the BRIC markets. To coincide with the two-day conference, we've partnered with Canadean to offer 20% off all the company's reports in the just-drinks research store.It's a pretty exhaustive list, so if you're after anything specific, email email@example.com with your requirements. But, hurry: this offer only runs until the close of trade on Friday 20 December.
- Elsewhere in the wine world, we learnt that the Japanese extension of the Vinexpo trade fair is all set to go ahead next year, despite earlier fears that the future of Vinexpo Nippon hung in the balance.
- Heineken's top brass headed to Mexico last week for the brewer's two-day investor conference. Presenting to analysts on Thursday, CEO Jean-Francois van Boxmeer said the company will maintain its focus on the younger drinkers in Europe in the years to come. Also at the event, Heineken offered a glimpse at how its Mexican footprint has developed since it bought FEMSA Cerveza three years ago.
- Brown-Forman was the last of the big drinks firms to post its latest set of results on Wednesday, but the numbers were worth the wait: With both sales and profits rising in the half-year (here's a full round-up of our coverage), the US firm was toasting the performances from its American whiskey brands. But, asked Andy Morton, what has happened to Southern Comfort this year?
- Finally, in soft drinks, the UK was where it was all happening. First up, AG Barr released a trading statement for the 18 weeks to 1 December, and then supermarket chain Morrisons confirmed it will consider rolling out its trial ban on energy drinks sales to under-16s nation-wide.
It's a bank holiday here in the UK on Monday (25 August). just-drinks' team will be taking a well-earned lie down. ...
Poland is hardly noted for its cider consumption, but all this could be about to change. ...
Here's a brave move by the folk from Camerata at Paulie's in Houston: a wine-related parody of Summer Nights from Grease....
Nestle Waters North America has said it is "disappointed" over allegations it attempted to drive a family-owned bottled water company out of business....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring The Coca-Cola Co and Monster Beverage Corp, Constellation Brands, Anheuser-Busch InBev and Australia's wine producers....
- Interview - Bacardi global marketing boss, whisky
- Comment - Hybrid Spirits: Innovation or Laziness?
- Constellation grapples with glass as reality bites
- Brewers Feel Prolonged Russian Winter
- Focus - Heineken's H1 Performance by Region
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- Diageo doubles intake for spirits start-ups scheme
- Second senior exec to depart Bacardi
- Portman finds against Diageo "mix it up" tagline
- Bacardi sees North America president step down