Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
James Wilmore | 25 November 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- Just-drinks got up close with Diageo's new(ish) CEO, who revealed plans to launch into the high-end Bourbon market. We also couldn't resist asking Ivan Menezes about Guinness' latest marketing "tactics", but the stout brand looks set to stay in the group's portfolio. Bacardi unveiled a new global campaign for its namesake white rum.
- In the brewing world, SABMiller reported a rise in half-year profits, but flat sales as the familiar story of a tough Europe, but brighter emerging markets remains. Its Europe unit is also eyeing a new effort to tackle the demographic most brewers struggle with: women.
- For the grape gazers, attention turned to the Australian duo of Treasury Wine Estates and private equity-owned Accolade Wines. The groups have got that little bit closer by signing a new deal in the US. Where will this love affair lead?
- In soft drinks, we zeroed-in on an interesting new player in the sports beverage sector - iPro Sport - which has big plans in the UK and US markets. While in Asia, Asahi Group expanded its bottled water interests in Indonesia.
Another day, another drinks executive stepping down "to explore new opportunities". Usually, this is code for "is leaving to join one of our competitors in a slightly better-paid position". But, with ...
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- SABMiller edges Diageo as beer trumps spirits
- Focus - SABMiller's FY Sales Performance by Region
- Will Keurig Kold come to Coca-Cola Co's Rescue?
- Comment - Heineken's move for Pivovarna Lasko
- Rémy Cointreau eyes recovery after Q4 bounceback
- Carlsberg exec joins Diageo as Africa chief steps
- Diageo YTD sales come in flat
- Belvedere unveils executive team
- Stock Spirits recruits Drambuie head for MD role