Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
James Wilmore | 25 November 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- Just-drinks got up close with Diageo's new(ish) CEO, who revealed plans to launch into the high-end Bourbon market. We also couldn't resist asking Ivan Menezes about Guinness' latest marketing "tactics", but the stout brand looks set to stay in the group's portfolio. Bacardi unveiled a new global campaign for its namesake white rum.
- In the brewing world, SABMiller reported a rise in half-year profits, but flat sales as the familiar story of a tough Europe, but brighter emerging markets remains. Its Europe unit is also eyeing a new effort to tackle the demographic most brewers struggle with: women.
- For the grape gazers, attention turned to the Australian duo of Treasury Wine Estates and private equity-owned Accolade Wines. The groups have got that little bit closer by signing a new deal in the US. Where will this love affair lead?
- In soft drinks, we zeroed-in on an interesting new player in the sports beverage sector - iPro Sport - which has big plans in the UK and US markets. While in Asia, Asahi Group expanded its bottled water interests in Indonesia.
The last of just-drinks' management briefing series on sustainability focuses on the wine category. In part one of the four-part report, Ben Cooper surveys what the future could hold for the sector....
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
Part two of Ben Cooper's look at sustainability in the wine sector considers the adaptability of wine and the risks the category faces going forward....
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read analyses on just-drinks in 2014....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
Advertising can be a strange beast. ...
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018