Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
James Wilmore | 25 November 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- Just-drinks got up close with Diageo's new(ish) CEO, who revealed plans to launch into the high-end Bourbon market. We also couldn't resist asking Ivan Menezes about Guinness' latest marketing "tactics", but the stout brand looks set to stay in the group's portfolio. Bacardi unveiled a new global campaign for its namesake white rum.
- In the brewing world, SABMiller reported a rise in half-year profits, but flat sales as the familiar story of a tough Europe, but brighter emerging markets remains. Its Europe unit is also eyeing a new effort to tackle the demographic most brewers struggle with: women.
- For the grape gazers, attention turned to the Australian duo of Treasury Wine Estates and private equity-owned Accolade Wines. The groups have got that little bit closer by signing a new deal in the US. Where will this love affair lead?
- In soft drinks, we zeroed-in on an interesting new player in the sports beverage sector - iPro Sport - which has big plans in the UK and US markets. While in Asia, Asahi Group expanded its bottled water interests in Indonesia.
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
A bit of football fun for a Friday. Anheuser-Busch InBev has released the ad that will accompany its new Budweiser 'Dream Goal' campaign, that seeks to find the UK's best amateur goal. ...
No sooner had Anheuser-Busch InBev taken a gentle pop at the craft beer segment during February's Super Bowl, than the world's largest brewer has challenged the sub-category's target market in New Yor...
A few wry grins will have been raised in the offices of Dr Pepper Snapple Group today. ...
- Comment - Diageo Spins the Guinness Wheel... Again
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Who should Stock Spirits Acquire?
- Diageo lines up UK innovations push
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Pernod Ricard queries nutritional label use
- Diageo's Guinness Golden Ale
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets