Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 11 November 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- Accolade Wines may still be without a CEO, but that hasn't stopped the Australian firm from making an acquisition, in neighbouring New Zealand. The company snapped up a range of wine brands from the Mud House Wine Group last week, a move which, if nothing else, suggests thatAccolade owner CHAMP is still enjoying its foray into wine almost three years on. Elsewhere in wine, reporter Andy Morton took a trip to France to see what Les Vignobles Foncalieu has been up to of late.
- Molson Coors released its third-quarter and year-to-date numbersand confirmed in the subsequent conference call that its legal row in Canada with US JV partner SABMiller is heading to the country's courts next month. And, while we're on the subject of Canada, click here for an in-depth look at the country's beer market.
- In spirits, we managed to grab some time with the MD of Pernod Ricard's UK unit, Denis O'Flynn, for a look at the division's 'post-premiumisation' strategy moving forward. Meanwhile, we alsointerviewed the MD of Cognac house Thomas Hine & Co, which recently underwent a change of owner.
- In soft drinks, a change of mayor meant the spotlight returned to New York last week. Is the ban on large sugary drinks in restaurants, movie theatres and from food carts dead and buried, or merely on hiatus as Bill de Blasio makes himself comfortable? Still in the US, regular commentator Ray Rowlands considered the potential for Coca-Cola Co's sparkling Dasani.
In the just-drinks research store, we've launched the first in a new - and ongoing - series of reports, which tell the story of major developments in the global drinks industry. Heineken's battle to secure full control of Asia Pacific Breweries dominated the headlines late last year. Here's the full story of how the saga unfolded.
Knowledge is power, or so they claim. So, with that in mind, here's an infographic, courtesy of Australian company Hangover Revivol, that breaks down exactly what is behind the common hangover....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring William Grant & Sons, the Southern hemisphere's winemakers, SABMiller and Heineken, and Coke Light....
How many beer mugs can one man carry? ...
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Pernod Ricard, The Coca-Cola Co, SABMiller's new Scotch whisky and Santa Rita Estates....
- Comment - Heineken's 'No' Cuts SABMiller Options
- Irish whiskey eyes a slice of Scotch's global pie
- Scottish Independence and Scotch Whisky
- SABMiller spurned by Heineken: The start of the en
- Can the New World Learn a Lesson from the Old?
- Patron Spirits' Patron Citrónge Lime
- Heineken rejects SABMiller purchase proposal
- Diageo's Special Releases 2014
- Wm Grant CMO to head Orangina Scweppes Int'l
- LIVE BLOG: Industry responds to Scotland 'No' vote